UAS Intrigue!

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Intrigue, eh? Well, let me tell you. We're in a small apartment waiting for a new home to be built. I came in with three Ukes, and now have nine. My wife made me promise, no more Ukes until we move into the new house. Ugh! I'm going into withdrawal, I can feel it! :p So, then I happened to read a blurb about how Texas is holding a lot of unclaimed money. I went to the State Controller's website, and did a search. I discovered a large amount in my wife's former name, associated with one of her previous residence addresses. I have no doubt that it belongs to her. So, I struck a deal with her. Without disclosing the details, I got her to agree that I could buy another Ukulele, costing not more that $1,000, provided that I could get her the larger sum of money. ;) So, I am now happily engaged in filing her claim for the dough.

Keeping in mind that I already have a number of Mainland, Ohana, and Kala Ukes, what Ukes do you think I should be looking at to buy as my "reward?" Remember, $1,000 is the upper limit.

Opportunity knocks for you to get a very nice one. You do not specify what size you would be looking for. K brand sopranos and concerts fall just into your budget. Tenors maybe if you look at the used market.

There is a correlation between cost and sound/playability/construction, though not a direct one (twice the cost is incremental improvement, not twice better in anything). If you have a chance, play the different ones. The three Ks certainly are noticeably different and you would likely have a reasonably strong preference for one or two brands. And when you buy, make sure you go to a shop that has a reputation for doing great setups. Have fun and don't get in trouble for pulling one over on your wife. Oh, and enjoy the new house.

You ask the impossible question! What a wonderful predicament to navigate. Not knowing about size, sound preference, etc, I humbly suggest you browse the Marketplace or other reputable used ukulele sites. I believe you will get the best bang for your buck there. If you desire something new, I suggest saving up a bit more and grabbing a K brand from any of the big sites.

Since you have this golden opportunity, you could get something other than Chinese assembly-line ukes. I know, for example, that Rob Collins sells sopranos for about $700. If you don't get fancy you might even be able to get a custom uke for $1000. Maybe that's more trouble than it is worth to you, but I throw it out there just in case.

Brad Donaldson or Pohaku custom.

A used Collins UT1? Kala Elite. Takumi TT-1 (If you can find one.) Used Martin concert. Used K-Brands.

A whole new vista has opened up for you.

Best of luck with the money recovery and the new house. Is a music room in the plans?

Well congrats! What size are you looking to get? That will affect the price. And how do you like to play? Strumming, or fingerpicking? If it was me, I'd be looking at tenors and trying to get a KoAloha KTM-00 even though it's a little more. I have one and it's super nice. The new ones are really sweet. If the budget's firm, my Rebel Double Cheese tenor is mighty close to the KoAloha, and under $1000. I'd also be on the lookout for a lightly used AnueNue Moonbird, or Kanile'a. Possibly one of the Romero Creation ukes - I want about 3 myself. Have fun deciding!

Hey, lots of good suggestions already! Keep'em comin'! :)

To answer some of the above ideas: I already have a stable of K brand Ukes. I have a Collings UC-3. And, size doesn't matter (literally in this case).

I'm going to look at the KoAloha Opio, LoPrinzi, and Rebel, and check out Rob Collins, and Brad Donaldson. All great suggestions! Gee, this is fun! :smileybounce:

I'll echo any recommendation to look at Rebel ukuleles, only because I love mine unreasonably.
You should be able to come in well within your price range (which is kinda fun, and leaves money for more funs), even after springing for a worthy hard case-- which, unless your style is already 1980s Badminton, you'll likely want to do. :rolleyes: :D

Have fun!
~ S.

Romero Creations has some great ukuleles in your price range.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about Romero. I have one of their Tiny Tenors, and I love it. I got it during an in person visit to Uke Republic in the Atlanta area. The wife and I sat there and I tried out every Uke they had on hand. She and I agreed that the Romero sounded the best. So, I wouldn't hesitate to get another Romero, but a different model.

Save it and go to a killer music workshop when COVID abates?

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about Romero. I have one of their Tiny Tenors, and I love it. I got it during an in person visit to Uke Republic in the Atlanta area. The wife and I sat there and I tried out every Uke they had on hand. She and I agreed that the Romero sounded the best. So, I wouldn't hesitate to get another Romero, but a different model.

I mentioned Romero Creations. There's about 3 that I want, but can't make up my mind. The Tiny Tenor is at the top of my list for a next uke. Which one do you have? Koa, mahogany, the laminate?

I have the Mahogany Tiny Tenor. It's beautifully grained, and a pleasure to look at. But, it's the rich, warm tone and easy playability that draws me in. If I get another Romero, it will be one with a traditional, two bout, body. I'm a sucker for the darker, richer toned instruments. I'm not so fond of the the bright, more percussive, sounding ones. And, I've found that my Mahogany instruments please me the most in that regard. Mahogany is a lovely tone wood. It's the Romero Concert Mahogany model that I'm drooling over.

Last edited:
I have the Mahogany Tiny Tenor. It's beautifully grained, and a pleasure to look at. But, it's the rich, warm tone and easy playability that draws me in. If I get another Romero, it will be one with a traditional, two bout, body. I'm a sucker for the darker, richer toned instruments. I'm not so fond of the the bright, more percussive, sounding ones. And, I've found that my Mahogany instruments please me the most in that regard. Mahogany is a lovely tone wood. It's the Romero Concert Mahogany model that I'm drooling over.

If that sound draws you in, I'd recommend taking a look at Jupiter Ukuleles. Jon is a builder who seeks that deep/rich sound you describe, and his pricing falls right under $1,000 for a tenor. I have a Western Cedar/ Sycamore that I love. I'd give his site a look!

I looked at Jupiter. Seems as if nothing is available. When it comes to buying Ukes, the money burns a hole in my pocket. I'm not much into waiting around for a custom luthier to get it together. I've waited months for a couple of them, notably a Tony Graziano Camp Uke, and a John Morton Resonator Tenor. I really love the thrill of searching, finding, ordering, tracking the shipment, receiving the delivery, and unboxing the new instrument. When the order gets stretched over months of time, my interests go elsewhere, and the element of thrill is lost. It's my UAS, of course. I need the fix, and I need it now!

Top Bottom