Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UAS Intrigue!

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

Default UAS Intrigue!

Intrigue, eh? Well, let me tell you. We're in a small apartment waiting for a new home to be built. I came in with three Ukes, and now have nine. My wife made me promise, no more Ukes until we move into the new house. Ugh! I'm going into withdrawal, I can feel it! So, then I happened to read a blurb about how Texas is holding a lot of unclaimed money. I went to the State Controller's website, and did a search. I discovered a large amount in my wife's former name, associated with one of her previous residence addresses. I have no doubt that it belongs to her. So, I struck a deal with her. Without disclosing the details, I got her to agree that I could buy another Ukulele, costing not more that $1,000, provided that I could get her the larger sum of money. So, I am now happily engaged in filing her claim for the dough.

Keeping in mind that I already have a number of Mainland, Ohana, and Kala Ukes, what Ukes do you think I should be looking at to buy as my "reward?" Remember, $1,000 is the upper limit.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Opportunity knocks for you to get a very nice one. You do not specify what size you would be looking for. K brand sopranos and concerts fall just into your budget. Tenors maybe if you look at the used market.

There is a correlation between cost and sound/playability/construction, though not a direct one (twice the cost is incremental improvement, not twice better in anything). If you have a chance, play the different ones. The three Ks certainly are noticeably different and you would likely have a reasonably strong preference for one or two brands. And when you buy, make sure you go to a shop that has a reputation for doing great setups. Have fun and don't get in trouble for pulling one over on your wife. Oh, and enjoy the new house.

KoAloha Opio tenor necked concert body solid acacia - it's what cured my UAS......

Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

You ask the impossible question! What a wonderful predicament to navigate. Not knowing about size, sound preference, etc, I humbly suggest you browse the Marketplace or other reputable used ukulele sites. I believe you will get the best bang for your buck there. If you desire something new, I suggest saving up a bit more and grabbing a K brand from any of the big sites.
    Soprano
    KoAloha Opio - Acacia

Tenors
    aNueNue AMM3 - Mahogany (Low G)
    aNueNue UT3K Koa Bird - Koa
    aNueNue UT200 Moon Bird - Spruce/Rosewood (Low G)
    Jupiter Ukulele #64 - Cedar/Sycamore (Low G)
    Kanile'a K1-T Premium - Koa
    Kanile'a K1-T5 - Koa
    KoAloha KTM-25 #161 - Koa (Low G)

Baritone+
    Kanile'a K1-B - Koa
    Pono UL4-30 - Spruce/Rosewood Steel String

Since you have this golden opportunity, you could get something other than Chinese assembly-line ukes. I know, for example, that Rob Collins sells sopranos for about $700. If you don't get fancy you might even be able to get a custom uke for $1000. Maybe that's more trouble than it is worth to you, but I throw it out there just in case.

Brad Donaldson or Pohaku custom.
    Brad Donaldson mahogany Martin 0 style soprano
    Pohaku Concert 10 (small concert), Bearclaw spruce top/maple body and neck
    Weymann 1920 Model 10 soprano
    Japanese no name soprano, 1950s Burch sunburst
    Japanese no name soprano, 1940s mahogany Laminate
    Japanese no name soprano, 1950s mahogany
    Anuenue Flame Maple Soprano 2012

A used Collins UT1? Kala Elite. Takumi TT-1 (If you can find one.) Used Martin concert. Used K-Brands.

A whole new vista has opened up for you.

Best of luck with the money recovery and the new house. Is a music room in the plans?
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Well congrats! What size are you looking to get? That will affect the price. And how do you like to play? Strumming, or fingerpicking? If it was me, I'd be looking at tenors and trying to get a KoAloha KTM-00 even though it's a little more. I have one and it's super nice. The new ones are really sweet. If the budget's firm, my Rebel Double Cheese tenor is mighty close to the KoAloha, and under $1000. I'd also be on the lookout for a lightly used AnueNue Moonbird, or Kanile'a. Possibly one of the Romero Creation ukes - I want about 3 myself. Have fun deciding!
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    KoAloha KTM-00 tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    Pono ATC-PC acacia cutaway tenor
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

Hey, lots of good suggestions already! Keep'em comin'!

To answer some of the above ideas: I already have a stable of K brand Ukes. I have a Collings UC-3. And, size doesn't matter (literally in this case).

I'm going to look at the KoAloha Opio, LoPrinzi, and Rebel, and check out Rob Collins, and Brad Donaldson. All great suggestions! Gee, this is fun!
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

Well I might look at a KoAloha of whatever size the money will buy. I'd also look at Pohaku. I have tenors from both and have been very happy. Slightly used just might do as well.

Thread Information