UAS Intrigue!

I looked at Jupiter. Seems as if nothing is available.

Jupiter Ukuleles (Jonathan Dale) is a custom builder/one-man-shop. His output is limited and although he might occasionally have an instrument available for purchase, he primarily builds to order. (He does have a lovely Cocobolo & Port Orford Cedar Parlor Guitar/Guitalele available. I handled that one in person and it's a beauty.)

Don't buy another Mainland, Ohana, or Kala.

I'm headed to our State Comptrollers Website.....

Last edited:
Sorry, Nickie. I just couldn't help myself. When I saw this Ohana, I just couldn't get it out of my mind. So, regardless of the budget I had to work with, I went for it. I already have the Concert version of this Uke, and it's stunning! The combination of woods, the colors, the beautiful bindings, etc. create an instrument of extraordinary beauty. And, the Concert plays with a cheerful, complex voice that's uniquely its own. I just had to have its big brother. The "set" will be an eye popper for sure! Yes, I know. I left money on the table. But sometimes that's just the way it goes. ;)

Sinker Uke.jpg

What do y'all think? Did I make a good choice, or should I have gone for the Romero Concert that's tugging on my sleeve? Here's a hint about my thinking process: That Ohana is a Special Edition, and when they're gone, well, that's it. They're gone. The Romero, made from Mahogany, is a standard model, and I'm thinking it's much more likely to be available later on. :eek:ld:

Attachments

• Sinker Uke.jpg
    Sinker Uke.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
OK, here's the resolution. The money from the State has come through. So, I ordered the Romero Concert Large Body that I wanted. And, on a whim, I also ordered a Snail Flame Acacia Concert. I know I'll love the Romero. But I've never played a Snail. The reviews looked good, and I think it is a very attractive instrument. So, we'll see. It must be Spring already, as my UAS is in full bloom! :rolleyes:

I had a Snail Mahogany Concert and loved it. An attractive ukulele, both in sound and looks, and very comfortable to play. Only sold it to help finance the acquisition of a KoAloha Koa Concert. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by your flame acacia model. I’ve been fighting UAS this past year. The object of my affection is the Soprano version of your Romero Creations large body uke.

I have the Romero soprano version on order, Jan D. We shall see what it's like. :)

I have the Romero soprano version on order, Jan D. We shall see what it's like. :)

I’d love to hear about your Romero after you receive it. I play mostly finger-style these days, so I’m looking for a soprano scale uke with 12 or more frets, one that has decent sustain and tone, and an A string that doesn’t wimp out when played up the neck around the 10th and 12th frets. The Romero soprano has the fret range I want, and I like the idea of a larger body (and low G). If the Romero’s A string also rings well up the neck, then my search may finally be over. I’ll be looking forward to hearing your comments, Cadia! :)

Another update: I ordered that Ohana in advance of the money coming from the State. I didn't it mention to my wife, thinking that the money would come first. Well, it didn't. So, when the Ohana arrived, I sort of snuck it into the apartment without bringing it to her attention. :) Then, The money did arrive, over five thousand dollars! At that point she expected me to order a Ukulele. So as not to disappoint her (and not to own up to having snuck the Ohana in), I went ahead and ordered the Romero Concert. I have it now, and boy is it a beauty! The high quality Mahogany is lovely, and the sound is superb! So resonant and mello. Then, I began drooling over the Snail I had come across in my initial search for something to get as a reward for finding the money. UAS got the best of me, and late one night, I went ahead and ordered it direct from Snail in China. I'm still waiting on that one to arrive. When it comes, I'm going to have to figure out how to handle the situation. I'm hoping I can just slip it in with the others, and that it will never be noticed. But, this is a small, one bedroom, apartment, and that trick is getting worn pretty thin. We'll just have to see how it goes. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the windfall! And congrats on the new ukes. Can you show us them in pics?
And don't hide them, they might not get played....and....honesty is the best policy....I'm "not allowed to buy any more ukes", but if I plan to, I'll be sure to tell wifey first.

...When it comes, I'm going to have to figure out how to handle the situation. I'm hoping I can just slip it in with the others, and that it will never be noticed. But, this is a small, one bedroom, apartment, and that trick is getting worn pretty thin. We'll just have to see how it goes. :rolleyes:

I think she's going to notice. :biglaugh:

Another update: I ordered that Ohana in advance of the money coming from the State. I didn't it mention to my wife, thinking that the money would come first. Well, it didn't. So, when the Ohana arrived, I sort of snuck it into the apartment without bringing it to her attention. :) Then, The money did arrive, over five thousand dollars! At that point she expected me to order a Ukulele. So as not to disappoint her (and not to own up to having snuck the Ohana in), I went ahead and ordered the Romero Concert. I have it now, and boy is it a beauty! The high quality Mahogany is lovely, and the sound is superb! So resonant and mello. Then, I began drooling over the Snail I had come across in my initial search for something to get as a reward for finding the money. UAS got the best of me, and late one night, I went ahead and ordered it direct from Snail in China. I'm still waiting on that one to arrive. When it comes, I'm going to have to figure out how to handle the situation. I'm hoping I can just slip it in with the others, and that it will never be noticed. But, this is a small, one bedroom, apartment, and that trick is getting worn pretty thin. We'll just have to see how it goes. :rolleyes:

I'm curious, which Snail did you end up ordering? I've never played their ukes but I've heard so much praise for them I don't doubt their quality.

Top Bottom