Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UAS Intrigue!

I'll echo any recommendation to look at Rebel ukuleles, only because I love mine unreasonably.
    You should be able to come in well within your price range (which is kinda fun, and leaves money for more funs), even after springing for a worthy hard case-- which, unless your style is already 1980s Badminton, you'll likely want to do.

Have fun!
    ~ S.

Romero Creations has some great ukuleles in your price range.
    Larry

KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    KALA SOLID FLAME MAPLE CONCERT
    JUPITER UKULELE TENOR #77, REDWOOD/SYCAMORE
    ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR" (LOW "G")
    ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR (LOW "G")
    OHANA BK-70M BARITONE

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about Romero. I have one of their Tiny Tenors, and I love it. I got it during an in person visit to Uke Republic in the Atlanta area. The wife and I sat there and I tried out every Uke they had on hand. She and I agreed that the Romero sounded the best. So, I wouldn't hesitate to get another Romero, but a different model.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Save it and go to a killer music workshop when COVID abates?

Bill1, I'm not sure what you mean. I already own three National Resophonic Ukes, the Model 0, the Koa with rope binding, and the flame maple. But, what do you mean by "6 strings, A to A?

Quote Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
    Ah yes, I'd forgotten about Romero. I have one of their Tiny Tenors, and I love it. I got it during an in person visit to Uke Republic in the Atlanta area. The wife and I sat there and I tried out every Uke they had on hand. She and I agreed that the Romero sounded the best. So, I wouldn't hesitate to get another Romero, but a different model.
    I mentioned Romero Creations. There's about 3 that I want, but can't make up my mind. The Tiny Tenor is at the top of my list for a next uke. Which one do you have? Koa, mahogany, the laminate?
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    KoAloha KTM-00 tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    Pono ATC-PC acacia cutaway tenor
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano

I have the Mahogany Tiny Tenor. It's beautifully grained, and a pleasure to look at. But, it's the rich, warm tone and easy playability that draws me in. If I get another Romero, it will be one with a traditional, two bout, body. I'm a sucker for the darker, richer toned instruments. I'm not so fond of the the bright, more percussive, sounding ones. And, I've found that my Mahogany instruments please me the most in that regard. Mahogany is a lovely tone wood. It's the Romero Concert Mahogany model that I'm drooling over.
    Last edited by VegasGeorge; 02-24-2021 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
    I have the Mahogany Tiny Tenor. It's beautifully grained, and a pleasure to look at. But, it's the rich, warm tone and easy playability that draws me in. If I get another Romero, it will be one with a traditional, two bout, body. I'm a sucker for the darker, richer toned instruments. I'm not so fond of the the bright, more percussive, sounding ones. And, I've found that my Mahogany instruments please me the most in that regard. Mahogany is a lovely tone wood. It's the Romero Concert Mahogany model that I'm drooling over.
    If that sound draws you in, I'd recommend taking a look at Jupiter Ukuleles. Jon is a builder who seeks that deep/rich sound you describe, and his pricing falls right under $1,000 for a tenor. I have a Western Cedar/ Sycamore that I love. I'd give his site a look!

I’m leaning toward the Romero Concert. I like the concert scale length,and I’m intrigued by the oversized body.
    Last edited by VegasGeorge; 02-28-2021 at 04:09 AM.

I looked at Jupiter. Seems as if nothing is available. When it comes to buying Ukes, the money burns a hole in my pocket. I'm not much into waiting around for a custom luthier to get it together. I've waited months for a couple of them, notably a Tony Graziano Camp Uke, and a John Morton Resonator Tenor. I really love the thrill of searching, finding, ordering, tracking the shipment, receiving the delivery, and unboxing the new instrument. When the order gets stretched over months of time, my interests go elsewhere, and the element of thrill is lost. It's my UAS, of course. I need the fix, and I need it now!

Thread Information