Tenor fretboards

PoppyG

Reaction score
Building solid body ukes for my grandkids. Anyone know where I can buy fretboards ready to install. It would save me some time. Thanks

Thank you so much for posting this - I don't think I can buy an ebony blank for that money, let alone a fingerboard!

Ebony pricing can be funny and is highly dependent on size. When I want ebony for a uke, I buy a stack of reject blanks from allen guitar:

https://www.allenguitar.com/sale.htm

Their reject blanks often have knots, splits, holes, and other problems - but since they're guitar size blanks, you can almost always get a uke fretboard out of them, or if not then always a few bridges. And since they're $3.50 each, it's a super good deal!

Allen will slot blanks too but I bet they'd charge for a full blank versus letting you pay to slot a reject.

Hello
I'm new at this, with the fret wire, what does it mean to "add 3/32 compensation to them". Thank you.
Ed

No, not to the fretwire, to the scale length of the fretboard. In other words for a fretboard that is 17 3/32 scale length you would put the saddle at 17 6/32 (or 17 3/16) inches from the nut. That is adding 3/32 to the 17 3/32 scale fretboard for intonation compensation.

Are we confused yet? Welcome to the rabbit hole of scale length and intonation compensation.

Thank you sequoia. I’m not confused, you explained it very good. It’s members like you that make this a great forum.
Regards
Ed

Thanks for that Chuck. Although I probably have the best prices on the planet for Grover tuners and a few other things I sell to builders, I can't touch the $13.00 and change that LMI sells ebony fretboards for. I can barely buy the wood for that price. Hope you're doing good!--Bob

Top Bottom