Un-expected Lockdown Discoveries

Graham Greenbag

Reaction score
See the next post, working around the software glitch.

Last edited:
Each of us will have experienced the CV19 lockdown and pandemic in both quite common and quite personal ways, I suspect that few people have flourished and that most people have had an unpleasant time - I’ve not enjoyed the bulk of the last year but have discovered a few things for myself here and there.

I’ve enjoyed playing for quite a few years now but am no expert and am almost talentless, fortunately I just enjoy what I can do and don’t find what I can’t do to be too important to me. When I play at the Uke Club I’m better than most and my Ukes are just loud enough - and slight more - for me to hear mine (next to me) over all of the others. I’ve struggle a bit with comparative volume in the past, but my decent enough laminate Sopranos have been well sorted so they’re good enough.

Recently I’d stopped playing, just hadn’t picked a Uke up in a few weeks, don’t know why other than a few more hick-ups in life and this ongoing disruption of CV19 life. Whatever, I was browsing eBay and a cheap, old, painted Uke from a well known - if not particularly well respected - mass manufacturer caught my eye. It was going for not much and had friction tuners - both appealed to me - I liked the colour too and it would be a nice little challenge to see if I could make it play well. I pressed the ‘buy it now’ button.

The Uke arrived in quick time; issues with the friction tuners, strings and set-up were sorted out and the result is a nice little player. To be honest I’ve made a lucky purchase (I've heard that some of these Ukes were built poorly but mine was reasonable) and I am fortunate to have enough skill to turn this instrument around - to me it now sounds ‘real good’, and far better than (for what it cost) it should.

What have I discovered?

Well this is quite a small or traditional body sized Soprano yet it has a nice bass response and isn’t all treble, I like a balanced sound and had thought that you needed a big body to get one. This Uke’s small body and small sound hole seem to work well, stuff is in balance - seek balance.

This Uke isn’t my loudest, it isn’t quiet but I’m unsure whether it would be quite loud enough for Uke Club. This Uke doesn’t have the most perfect voice either, nice enough for sure but no Martin. Playing here at home it’s just an enjoyable tone and a suitable volume to sing along to; it’s not that loud that it disturbs others here and it’s perfect in its own way. Enjoying your Uke isn’t all about perfect tone and masses of volume; there are times when acceptable can be just fine, ‘perfect’ even.

This old Uke cost me very very little, so if it got stolen, scratched a bit more, damaged, etc, etc, it wouldn’t be of more than passing concern; so loss and damage would be inconvenient but not important. I’m not poor but I am tight so damage to more expensive instruments would upset me and the risk of it concerns me too - that’s maybe a silly self imposed restriction but who’s perfect? My cheap Uke has no case, it sits on the Sofa next to me and gets played; I like it that way and might (deliberately) never buy a bag for it - leave it out somewhere and play it as you pass, etc. Have a leave it out Uke.

What un-expected discoveries have you made in lockdown?

Last edited:
Ukulele itself was my lockdown discovery. After the first hard lockdown, where basically everything was closed, there was a short period where things were open before another lockdown started. In that time, I went into a music store to get strings for my daughter’s guitar, and my youngest son was captivated by the looks of an Epiphone Les Paul ukulele, because it looked kind of like the one in the Minions movie, and it was something that looked his size, as opposed to the guitars in the house. I had briefly looked into build your own uke kits as something to pass the time in lockdown, and was already a little interested in ukuleles because of that, so a few days later I went in and bought one (not the Les Paul, just a plain mahogany laminate Kala) for myself for my birthday, figuring we could both try learning. Now we have four ukes in the house, because it turns out I don’t like sharing so much, and both boys wanted to learn, plus I wanted a low G. . .

Discovered it was affecting my sexual life, marital relations. Once that was discovered, we took corrective action.

Discovered it was affecting my sexual life, marital relations. Once that was discovered, we took corrective action.

My wife and I discovered “Adult Entertainment.” She sits in her rockin chair, I sit in mine. I strum the ukulele and we sing to each other.

I discovered that I miss the outside social world even less than I thought I would.

I was searching for strings, tuners, and looking at several vintage Martin ukes when I came across a folk instrument music store very near to my house that I never expected. Now I can get anything uke, guitar or banjo that I may need from a real smiling face that I can talk to in real time about anything that comes up instead of having to compose an email and/or order online. It also gives me the opportunity to experience playing instruments instead of relying on reviews.

Funny that, that’s sometimes the way it is with things, sometimes the answer is actually right under our nose but we’re so busy looking that we look past it. I’ve been glad of one particular food shop near to me which I wouldn’t normally use ‘cause the selection isn’t that wide, quality isn’t the best and the prices are a little higher than elsewhere. As it turns out that shop has been perfectly adequate for my shopping needs over the last twelve months.

My wife and I discovered “Adult Entertainment.” She sits in her rockin chair, I sit in mine. I strum the ukulele and we sing to each other.

Others might find different, as ever YMMV. On reflecting on the above I think that one of the pluses of getting older is becoming more able to simply enjoy company and companionship ahead of other factors. It don’t matter who they are or what they look like anymore I just look for the person underneath and enjoy their company ... well that’s pretty much always so (old habits and drives die hard), and if they’re musical that’s a bonus. In a funny way that brings me back towards the Uke I mentioned in my first post, I don’t care about anything ‘cept the good company it gives me.

Last edited:

Just remember your Uke training, Down Up, Down Up, Down Up, etc. And, you'll be just fine! :eek:

I discovered that I don’t have UAS anymore.

One job didn’t survive the lockdown, so there went my money for fun things like ukuleles. I still enjoy browsing the ukulele sites, but don’t miss buying more.

I also discovered that I seem to have less time and energy to play, even though I have one less job. Too many Zoom meetings, webinars, and other things taking up time, and having to adjust to changes in how things are done, (which means learning new software, and so on, too, during non-work hours.)

And hunting for vaccine appointments for elderly relatives, and other necessary tasks.

And here I thought I’d have more time to play, and to enjoy things. But things will eventually get better, and I still get time to play ukulele snuck in there, so all is well. Not everyone I know has survived the pandemic, so I can't complain about less time for a hobby.

What un-expected discoveries have you made in lockdown?

I discovered the joys of playing the uke during this lockdown. I think it'll entertain me for years to come.
Like you, I also have a leave-it-out uke; it sits on my wall hook and is super convenient to play.

I discovered that I don’t have UAS anymore.

Congrats! So, you've found that perfect uke; perfect! After ending my own UAS, I've saved lots of money and increased my playing time.

I had a long reply but it got cut off.

I've learned I like DGBE more than GCEA.

Last edited:
Congrats! So, you've found that perfect uke; perfect! After ending my own UAS, I've saved lots of money and increased my playing time.

It’s all about marketing. Creating UAS and its twin GAS, is a marketing ploy to make us buy more ukuleles that we don’t need. On top of that, it robs the Player of valuable playing and practice time and kills creativity. It’s all a marketing game.

Last edited:
It’s all about marketing. Creating UAS and its twin GAS, is a marketing ploy to make us buy more ukuleles that we don’t need. On top of that, it robs the Player of valuable playing and practice time and kills creativity. It’s all a marketing game.

Could be for some people, but for me it was about finding what works for my hands that had been smashed in the past, and what gives me joy to play.
Instead of robbing me of practice time, it increased it, since I've got to play all the ukuleles in the house, and if a ukulele was causing pain, if shut things down. I sold the ukuleles that didn't work for me, and kept the ones that are right for me.

I miss face-to-face, in-person interaction with other people. Zoom just doesn't cut it.

I had a long reply but it got cut off.

I've learned I like DGBE more than GCEA.

One of the guys on Cosmos is the same, he has that tuning on a Soprano ... it’s different but it works for him.

UU does do funny stuff with posts. Always copy your text before pressing the submit reply button.

I miss face-to-face, in-person interaction with other people. Zoom just doesn't cut it.

Here in the U.K. we’re now able to meet up to six different people out doors. It’s been great to gather together and play.

The cheap Soprano that I mentioned in the original post continues to give joy. I took it away from home for a few days and it just fitted into my luggage, part of the journey was on public transport and I had no concerns about an expensive Uke getting damaged. It was fun to have a Uke to play whilst on holiday: a ‘sorted-out’ Mahalo U30 in the hand is more use than a Martin locked away somewhere safe. I kind of suspected that already but the experience confirmed it.

Last edited:
The household lost one job, both kids were out of school, the remaining job moved permanently into the home. The dog kept is likely responsible for keeping us all sane, but really, it hasn't been that hard. We've been lucky, it's worked out and we like being around each other, and we're a blended family.

We spent more time walking the neighborhood, and met other people who live here. We had happy hour spread out on front lawns for a year, and now that a lot of us are vaccinated, we've continued to spend time with each other. New connections becoming deeper connections.

I also put a wall hanger up so when I lean back from my desk and look away from the monitor, blam, there is the Firefly. I'm still a beginner, but I play more now.

Top Bottom