Is there a way to put strap (no pins) on a uke?

Elysium82

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could just by the pins and screw them in without breaking/ruining the sound?

I have seen home-made shoelace thingies. I have tried those, but they are not my cup of tea.

Any ideas?

There is a product called "Command" hooks . They are removable and I think an upside down hook may be what you're looking for.

I used a command hook on my son’s uke instead of a strap button. I think I got instructions from Bernadette Teaches Music on YouTube. It works well enough. He has a pretty cheap basic uke. I confess that I would rather have an actual strap button with a screw installed on my nicer ukuleles (and I have) just because I’m afraid the glue of the command hooks might damage the finish. And I don’t like the looks of command hooks as much.

You can use a classical style strap which goes around your neck, under the waist of the uke, and hooks into the sound hole. However, you still have to hold the uke somewhat to keep it from falling.

You could also install or have strap buttons installed. The buttons themselves are inexpensive. If you're handy with a drill, it's easy enough. This video is for a guitar but it would be the same for a ukulele https://youtu.be/cgNbNVDDGS4

It should not affect tone as they go into the block in the end and the neck.

I used a command hook on my son’s uke instead of a strap button. I think I got instructions from Bernadette Teaches Music on YouTube. It works well enough. He has a pretty cheap basic uke. I confess that I would rather have an actual strap button with a screw installed on my nicer ukuleles (and I have) just because I’m afraid the glue of the command hooks might damage the finish. And I don’t like the looks of command hooks as much.

Quoting myself to add: it May not be a valid concern about the adhesive damaging the finish. I don’t know so I’m playing it safe. I do have a command book on my bathroom door that shows no sign of damaging the finish after two years, but I’d be a lot less upset if it did that I would be if one of my ukulele babies was damaged.

If you don't want to put an end pin in, get a half strap from UkeLeash
https://ukeleash.com/

If you do want a pin, get the version with the guitar end.

Ukulele companies have stated that strap pins do not affect the value of the instrument.

They are pretty easy to install on most ukes. Two caveats: If you install on a Baritone or Tenor, beware of a possible truss rod in the neck. (Easy to avoid.) Measure and use an awl if possible to make a starter hole so the drill doesn't walk.

You can just install a butt strap pin and use a shoelace or strap button extender to attach your strap to the headstock, under the strings between the nut and the tuners. Or between the top & bottom tuners.

Strap buttons are by far the best solution. You have one less thing to worry about as you play. It frees up the left hand to play and not hold up the neck.

Lots of vids available about installing strap pins.

Do you have a pick up on the instrument? Two of my tenors have a pick up and I use the jack and headstock. I noticed Bruce Shimabukuro doing that. I don't have a pick up on my other tenor and use a strap that hooks into the sound hole.

Sold on Jake's website. For people who already know how to hold their instrument correctly and want to take some pressure off their shoulders.

Sold on Jake's website. For people who already know how to hold their instrument correctly and want to take some pressure off their shoulders.

And you can market it as an advertisement space to companies. "I'm playing this uke with this strap all over town, want your name here?" :)

I was wondering if I could just by the pins and screw them in without breaking/ruining the sound?
?
Installing strap buttons does not break the ukulele or ruin the sound. Just about every steel-string acoustic guitar has strap buttons installed at the factory and no one complains about them.

I will recommend buying a strap pin and installing it. It is not that difficult, I have done it on a couple of my ukes. It should be an very high end uke before I would worry about the button would damage the value. I am hesitant about my vintage kamaka, but on low and mid range ukes I believe it will only add value.

Find an online toturial. You should check first that the ukes has a small wood block on the inside that the screw can connect to when going through the outer wood.
Pre drill with a small size drill. Place a piece of making tape at the base before drilling to protect the finish around the actual hole. Then screw in the strap button. It is recommended to use a small felt washer between the button and the uke to protect tee finish. I dont know where to get those, I cut one from some material I had lying around.

Top Bottom