Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to put strap (no pins) on a uke?

Default Is there a way to put strap (no pins) on a uke?

I was wondering if I could just by the pins and screw them in without breaking/ruining the sound?

I have seen home-made shoelace thingies. I have tried those, but they are not my cup of tea.

Any ideas?

There is a product called "Command" hooks . They are removable and I think an upside down hook may be what you're looking for.
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

I used a command hook on my son’s uke instead of a strap button. I think I got instructions from Bernadette Teaches Music on YouTube. It works well enough. He has a pretty cheap basic uke. I confess that I would rather have an actual strap button with a screw installed on my nicer ukuleles (and I have) just because I’m afraid the glue of the command hooks might damage the finish. And I don’t like the looks of command hooks as much.

You can use a classical style strap which goes around your neck, under the waist of the uke, and hooks into the sound hole. However, you still have to hold the uke somewhat to keep it from falling.

You could also install or have strap buttons installed. The buttons themselves are inexpensive. If you're handy with a drill, it's easy enough. This video is for a guitar but it would be the same for a ukulele https://youtu.be/cgNbNVDDGS4

It should not affect tone as they go into the block in the end and the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by emba View Post
    I used a command hook on my son’s uke instead of a strap button. I think I got instructions from Bernadette Teaches Music on YouTube. It works well enough. He has a pretty cheap basic uke. I confess that I would rather have an actual strap button with a screw installed on my nicer ukuleles (and I have) just because I’m afraid the glue of the command hooks might damage the finish. And I don’t like the looks of command hooks as much.
    Quoting myself to add: it May not be a valid concern about the adhesive damaging the finish. I don’t know so I’m playing it safe. I do have a command book on my bathroom door that shows no sign of damaging the finish after two years, but I’d be a lot less upset if it did that I would be if one of my ukulele babies was damaged.

There are a few no-button straps available, but I strongly suggest you add strap buttons, very secure way to play. Here are a couple of links for no-button straps:

https://www.amazon.com/TIMESJOY-Shou...42451576&psc=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/261994425/black-ukulele-strap-button-free?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cp c&utm_campaign=shopping_us_c-books_movies_and_music-music-instrument_straps&utm_custom1=_k_Cj0KCQiAst2BBhDJA RIsAGo2ldUE4XewL5Ly01X7gyckQqn2u_BuXZUKb7UXBpfQiYO 2qazxGlJCokQaAiu1EALw_wcB_k_&utm_content=go_184397 0635_75209201452_346397890987_aud-959486973961la-354392328641_c__261994425_101366008&utm_custom2=18 43970635&gclid=Cj0KCQiAst2BBhDJARIsAGo2ldUE4XewL5L y01X7gyckQqn2u_BuXZUKb7UXBpfQiYO2qazxGlJCokQaAiu1E ALw_wcB

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

If you don't want to put an end pin in, get a half strap from UkeLeash
    https://ukeleash.com/

If you do want a pin, get the version with the guitar end.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Southern Cross concert GCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Ukulele companies have stated that strap pins do not affect the value of the instrument.

They are pretty easy to install on most ukes. Two caveats: If you install on a Baritone or Tenor, beware of a possible truss rod in the neck. (Easy to avoid.) Measure and use an awl if possible to make a starter hole so the drill doesn't walk.

You can just install a butt strap pin and use a shoelace or strap button extender to attach your strap to the headstock, under the strings between the nut and the tuners. Or between the top & bottom tuners.

Strap buttons are by far the best solution. You have one less thing to worry about as you play. It frees up the left hand to play and not hold up the neck.

Lots of vids available about installing strap pins.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Do you have a pick up on the instrument? Two of my tenors have a pick up and I use the jack and headstock. I noticed Bruce Shimabukuro doing that. I don't have a pick up on my other tenor and use a strap that hooks into the sound hole.

Sold on Jake's website. For people who already know how to hold their instrument correctly and want to take some pressure off their shoulders.

Thread Information