Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealing with Oversized Peg Holes

Have you tried doing that on a uke with plugged holes, Jerry, using a hand-held drill? I tried it and found it very, very dodgy. The method I suggested gets around the problems.

John Colter

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    Have you tried doing that on a uke with plugged holes, Jerry, using a hand-held drill? I tried it and found it very, very dodgy. The method I suggested gets around the problems.

John Colter
    Yes, I did, but it wasn't with a $3,000 uke. : ) I found the center of the hole, and I used a drill bit with the little point on the end. I also put an indentation where I wanted to drill. I forget what ukes I've done this with, but I've done it more than once. Of course, with a uke, you have to drill four holes for each time, so it's four times the stress.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Jerry, if you can satisfactorily drill tuning peg holes with a hand held drill, you're a better man than I am! I have done it, but the result was - er - disappointing.

John Colter

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    Jerry, if you can satisfactorily drill tuning peg holes with a hand held drill...
    on the gin again, Fluff?

Hope I'm not to late for consideration of another idea. When my new Kanilea' arrived, one of the peg/pins had fallen out. When I replaced it, it was 'slightly' snug, but a thunk with my finger would loosen it. So I 'painted' a thin layer of CA glue on the offending peg. After it was thoroughly dry, it fit better, but I still added another layer. These were black ebony pegs and it still holds fine after 3-4 string changes. Just make sure it's dry before re-inserting !!!
    KoAloha KSM-10 Pikake ::: Kanile'a Islander MAPG-4-C ::: Kanile'a K-2 Super Concert ::: Kala KA-SSTU-S ::: Fender Montecito Tenor Koa ::: KoAloha Silver Anniversary KCM-00 #060 ::: Antica Ukuleleria Concert Libero ::: Pono TE-MD-R

Since you don't have to build up very much, you could try swabbing around the inside of the hole with medium CA glue on a Q tip. It may take a few coats to get it a touch smaller than you need, and then use a reamer to evenly ream the hole to the proper size. This less traumatic than drilling and more controllable.
    http://Kelaliuke.com
    Facebook Kelali Ukuleles

Thread Information