Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with Oversized Peg Holes

Default Dealing with Oversized Peg Holes

My uku is head stock heavy. If I'm holding it it's fine, but when I take hands off it dives on the strap. Which is an annoying.

It has heavy closed gear die cast tuners, that I'm thinking of swapping out.

Last time I changed strings I pulled off the tuners and measured the holes.I expected them to be approximately 10mm. However, they run anywhere from 10.4mm to 10.6 mm.

Is there a something that would work well to line the holes to get them back down to 10mm, or at least 10.5mm so I can fit an adapter bushing?

Thanks,
    Patrick

I can’t believe someone smarter than me hasn’t jumped on this. But since they haven’t, I suggest wrapping the pegs, or at least one, as an experiment, with some kind of tape. Personally I’d try electrical, as, being black, it should be nearly invisible in a hole, and being thickish and sort of squishy, will probably be stable. The bushings will cover it regardless.

You could consider painting it with layers of nail polish and build it up to the size you need.

I have not done this, so I am not sure if there is any downside or a better substance to use. I have seen that done to remedy some issues with woodwind instruments.

Well the "correct" thing to do is probably ream the holes out to allow you to glue in dowel rods. Then you could re-cut whatever size hole you need. Tape would work, but it's sure to fail long term.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

I thought about tape, but I was worried it would compress too much.

I'm going to try lining the holes with strips of aluminum cut for beverage cans. I saw a few blog posts about doing that.

If that doesn't work well I will plug and re-drill the holes.

I have some Kluson 10mm adapter bushings and a set of GraphTech Tune-e-lele tuners ordered.

I will let you know how things turn out.

Thank you all for your help.

- Patrick

Plugging and re-drilling is my preferred solution, but that leaves you with the tricky job of drilling a hole right in the center of the plug - not easy, and very easy to make a mess of it. I don't have access to a pillar drill. I got around the problem by using 1/4 round molding strips from a hardware store. Sand a very small flat on the right angle corner, then glue four pieces together to form a piece of round dowel with a small hole in the center. Reduce the outer diameter of the 'plug' so it is a perfect fit, and you have a plugged hole with a small guide hole. Easy-peasy!

John Colter

Wow that's a cool idea. One of my worries about plugging and re-drilling is getting the hole correct place and strait. Thanks ukantor.

So I tried lining the holes with strips of aluminum and it didn't go well. I couldn't get it tight enough to hold the bushing, and still be able to push the bushing in. Tape was the same problem.

If I get bored and want a bigger project, I will plug and re-drill the holes. In the meantime I will just play it as it is.

- Patrick

Wrap the bushing with a strip of paper until you get a good press fit.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Flight TUS-35

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    Plugging and re-drilling is my preferred solution...
    John Colter
    Yes. You just have to take care to find the center point before drilling.

https://www.instructables.com/How-to...of-a-Circle-1/
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information