Banjolele bridge question

mikelz777

Reaction score
I am now the new owner of a banjolele for the first time and I had a question about the bridge. It was sent to me with the bridge laying down which I expected and what I believe is advised when shipping. What I wanted to know was if it is OK to leave the bridge in the upright position between playing sessions while it's stored in its case? (The banjolele will always be stored in its case when it's not being played.) On what occasions should I lay the bridge down?

I leave mine in the upright position and store it in its case after playing. Instrument is around ten years old now and has never shown any detrimental effects of this. So when I need it, out it comes, check tuning (always stable!) and ready to go!

I always leave mine standing and no ill effects yet. Getting the bridge in just the right position for best intonation can take a little fiddling sometimes so its not something you want to have to set and then take down every time you play.

I guess that when its in transit where it may receive an unavoidable knock is when the risks of leaving it standing outweigh the inconvenience of folding it down.

Last edited:
Well REAL banjo players might be the best to answer this question, but I leave the bridge up on mine all the time - in the case, and while transporting to a jam too. But I did modify the case with some padding to ensure there is never any pressure on the bridge. If I were turning it over to the airlines I would drop the bridge for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_2674-2.jpg
    IMG_2674-2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 8
I have a number of banjos and banjoleles and never lie the bridge down. I do have a pencil mark on the heads to facilitate getting the bridge in the right place after changing strings. . .
I assume you know how to position the bridge using harmonics to have proper intonation.

Top Bottom