Thread: Slotted Headstocks

Default Slotted Headstocks

I have one ukulele with a slotted headstock. It's a Kala baritone, a very nice cedar top ukulele. The headstock on this Kala is quite thick so I guess the slots save weight and they look good.

I change strings often and compared to traditional uke tops the slotted headstock is a pain to work with. I've watched YouTube videos but they haven't helped. This is a bit embarrassing as I'm a life long sailor and pretty good with knots.

Anyone in the same boat who found an easy solution?
    Enya (C) laminate, Bonanza (C) Cherry Oreo, Pono (T) mahogany, KoAloha (T) Koa, Kala (B) Cedar top/Acacia laminate, Mainland (B) Red cedar/Rosewood.

Just tie a simple knot, leave a tail on it, then wrap the rest around on top of the tail - it usually holds good.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Some slotted headstocks are really thick because the manufacturer used big tuners that won't fit on thinner headstocks. Other manufacturers use thinner slotted headstocks with smaller tuners (eg Gotoh Stealth).

Regarding changing strings on a slotted headstock, here is an old tutorial from the Ukulele Underground website: https://ukuleleunderground.com/cours...g-your-ukulele

Quote Originally Posted by man0a View Post
    Some slotted headstocks are really thick because the manufacturer used big tuners that won't fit on thinner headstocks. Other manufacturers use thinner slotted headstocks with smaller tuners (eg Gotoh Stealth).

Regarding changing strings on a slotted headstock, here is an old tutorial from the Ukulele Underground website: https://ukuleleunderground.com/cours...g-your-ukulele
    The Stealth tuner is definitely the way to go for tenor size ukulele. The slotted headstocks that mimic those of classic guitars always look somehow disproportionate, but may be ok for something like 8 string baritone size.

Quote Originally Posted by BBegall View Post
    I have one ukulele with a slotted headstock. It's a Kala baritone, a very nice cedar top ukulele. The headstock on this Kala is quite thick so I guess the slots save weight and they look good.

I change strings often and compared to traditional uke tops the slotted headstock is a pain to work with. I've watched YouTube videos but they haven't helped. This is a bit embarrassing as I'm a life long sailor and pretty good with knots.

Anyone in the same boat who found an easy solution?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nrCvmcY9oA

that's the video I used for this situation. There are no knots involved and it seemed easier than regular headstocks to me.

Thread Information