Season 472 - Games and Toys

Jazz standard written in1953 by Duke Ellington andBilly Strayhorn.

This is an Ed's Redeeming Qualities song, the only song by them that I ever heard played on the radio.

Here's a bash at Layla by Derek and the DOMINOS .......

Once again I find myself pushed for time...
Here's a song by the mighty Husker Du who took their name from a children's memory board game.
I've never played the game. At least not that I remember.

(Thanks everyone for alerting me to the fact that the forum had chopped me off at the umlauts...)

Last edited:
SOTU 472- "Gamblin" Man, " by Gillian Welch. I discovered this song while watching a concert video of Gillian Welch and David Rawlings at the 2008 Newport Folk Festival. I don't believe it is on any recordings. It's written from the point of view of a "Jackson girl" who is smitten with a "Gamblin' Man" and decides to she'll gamble too.

Here’s a Yazuke original - thanks so much to the amazing Lynda/BEV for collaborating with me on this! :)

It’s a song I ‘wrote’ in my late teens, though I’m not sure it ever existed outside of my head until now - I’ve no recollection of ever actually writing anything down or recording the music at the time. So here we are nearly 35 years later and it’s become a reality! Thanks for hosting Ylle, and for choosing a theme that brought this one to life! :)

For Seasons of the Ukulele # 472 Games and Toys, Kev and I performed a song near and dear to my heart, Setting Sail, Coming Home from the fantastic indie game Bastion by SuperGiant Games. I absolutely love their games and whole heartedly recommend them. Kevin played his resonator ukulele, lead vocals, and made the mix. I did the art and animated the video as well as vocals. Artwork is based on in-game footage of the character Zia, drawn in OpenCanvas and animated in Adobe Animate. Thanks again Kev!

Hello again, Ylle! The idea for this song came to me the other night .... unfortunately, it was not brought by Berni's "Muse", but, rather, some demented doggerel diva! It is the sad tale of a woman unable to escape the all-embracing clutches (?) of an evil snake ... she is, obviously, the ultimate "doormat!"

Myanmar continues to descend towards total anarchy. I'm starting to think about escape routes. On top of that, I've been quite sick for the last few days - not COVID, unless is a new strain which means you sit on the toilet half the day and night. My sense of smell is still there. I moved my recording space to an area of the apartment that's closer to the aircon because where I normally sit, I'm breaking out in a sweat.

From an iconic American singer-songwriter, Lana Del Rey.

Hello Seasonistas! Thank you for your excellent contributions - wonderful collaborations, originals and covers. The playlist is up to date, and we have now 35 songs from 26 Seasonistas.

The Circle Game by Joni Mitchell

Here's a tune from a fellow Canuck. The only time I ever saw Joni live she was still Joni Anderson and it was at the 1964 Mariposa Folk Festival in Maple Leaf Stadium. Here's a photo of Joni and David Rea playing at that festival.
Joni & David Rea.jpg
This photo came from the Toronto Telegram, a long defunct newspaper.
Mariposa1964jimbobdennis.jpg
This photo was also in the Telegram in the same article. It was captioned, "Four young men, one with guitar." I'm on the left, clean shaven with the Buddy Holly glasses and desert boots. (I still wear desert boots.)

The circle of life.jpg

Last edited:

472 Games and Toys.

With apologies to Mikis Theodorakis, who if he ever hears this will send Charon after me doubtless.
A uke interpretation (very loose interpretation at that) of a masterful and lively lovely Bouzouki tune.

Last edited:
I am loving all the submissions this week, Ylle! What a fantastic idea for a season. I’ve just signed up to host for the first time, so I’ll need to think hard about a good theme. One more about a toy:

Yo-Yo
Joe South

here is another homemade-y from me... i assume a skateboard counts as a toy for the season, although back in the day when i was very young, my skateboard seemed like a perfectly sensible mode of transport...

Game shows count, right? Here's one from "Weird Al" Yankovic's 2nd album In 3-D. This is a parody of the song "Jeopardy" by the Greg Kihn Band. The voiceover during the break was actually read by Don Pardo, who was the game show's first announcer. Just a fantastic classic "Weird Al" parody, at least IMHO.

Art Fleming was the host of the original version of the show, from 1964 until 1975. I only ever knew Alex Trebek, RIP.

Top Bottom