Season 472 - Games and Toys

i have toy and game called "dino bite"... i figured this week was the perfect time to write a song about it!

Thank for hosting this week’s season, Ylle! And thanks for the clearance to post this one I wrote last week:

Marco?
Lyrics by Liz Brinker
Music By Rich Joseph

Intro over verse

[E]Spent my life out there looking for [G#7]you
But can you [C#m]see me? Can you [C#m7]hear me? Come on, [E7]tell me true
I’m out here calling, [A]“Marco? Marco?”
But there’s no, [B7]“Polo”...when I [E]do [B7]

[E]All alone and I’m feeling so [G#7]blue
[C#m]Know I’m looking for [C#m7]someone, I just [E7]don’t know who
But there’s no, [B7]“Polo”...when I [E]do [E7]

Bridge
[A]I’m out here swimming in this [A#dim]great big world
[E]And I know I have something to [E7]say
[A]But if anyone’s listening [A#dim]to this girl
Come on and [B7]shout it out, shout it out, swim over my way

Break over verse

[E]Tired of looking for somebody [G#7]new
Always the [C#m]explorer, the [C#m7]explorer trying to [E7]find the view
[B7]But there’s no, “Polo”...when I [E]do [E7] [A] [A#dim]
I’m out here calling,[E] “Marco? Marco?”
[B7]But there’s no, “Polo”...when I [E]do

Hello, Ylle! Back to my childhood here, with one of those saccharine songs that used to be inflicted on us poor little innocents on the Saturday morning children's radio request show in the UK. The original version was sung by George Clooney's Auntie Rosemary. Watch out for a guest appearance at the end from MY teddy bear, Gaston, who - realising the significance of the occasion - made a rare descent from the top of the wardrobe where he normally resides. (I dedicate this to all the arctophiles out there among the Seasonistas - look it up! - I can think of at least one!)

Last edited:
I have been so busy in February with FAWM. I managed to write 55 songs in February (a few collaborations, but mostly my own stuff).

I thought I might be all burnt out, but when I saw Ylle's theme for this Season, I knew what I wanted to write. And so, written especially for this season, here it is:

Another song about kites, this one from 1967 by Simon Dupree and the Big Sound. I can't really reproduce the psychedelic feel of the original, but who cares when you can play it on a uke anyway!

I accidentally kicked a tambourine that was lying on the floor at one point, because I have never learned to tidy up properly, so I thought I'd better add a bit more. That's how the pros decide how to arrange things, I'm sure.

Imagine my surprise when Ylle guessed which song I wanted to, when I discretely asked about other kinds of games...

I have done it once before, but that was on another uke and another YouTube channel years ago - so I figure it was time to revisit it :)

"...he always beat me at Subbuteo, 'cos he flicked a kick, and I didn't know"

For those who grew up in the wrong place or at the wrong time, Subbuteo was/is a table football game, where the players were nudged around the pitch with your index finger. Flicking them at high speed was strictly forbidden. The only remaining set of players from my own playing days is revealed at the end of the video, including the one-legged midfield hero, who probably came up against Norman Hunter too many times.

Incidentally, there is another song about Subbuteo, which also features a faulty train set. I am pretty sure it will be on the radar of JTSteam and/or BobJKing. C'mon chaps, you know you want to...

Incidentally, there is another song about Subbuteo, which also features a faulty train set. I am pretty sure it will be on the radar of JTSteam and/or BobJKing. C'mon chaps, you know you want to...

It might not surprise you to learn that I've tried this one :). I considered it for Val's Friends theme in fact, as well as this one, but I found it pretty hard for a two chord song! Maybe I should have another go if Bob doesn't get there first...

Good evening from Finland, where snow is melting and spring is coming.

Thank you for your wonderful songs! We have now 17 songs on the playlist, fine covers and brand-new originals. I have enjoyed learning about new games (Marco Polo, Dino Bite, Subbuteo...) and meeting Monsieur Gaston the teddy bear. Pa made a song about a subject I didn't dare to mention in my first post, and with John P., Mikkel and Berni we may wonder about the games people play.

These have been great first days of Season 427. Thank you and let's keep playing!

Here's a Peter Gabriel song that came together faster than I expected it to.

One of the first songs I learned to accompany on the guitar, from a Burl Ives songbook, in the early days of the Great Folk Scare, was Jack Of Diamonds. I liked it because it had only two of the three chords I knew, C and G7.
I later heard Jackie Washington, my first guitar hero, play it and he used two chords for every measure. This inspired me to learn some more chords.
I later got to hang with Jackie a few times and will always treasure those conversations.
When I saw the topic of this season, I decided to try this song on the ukulele. I think it works.

Jim & Jackie W..jpg

Last edited:

Okay, I couldn't resist. Here it is, a song with as many games as it has chords (two of each):

I love this song, probably because there were times in my childhood that weren't entirely unlike the scene being described. I don't know if Scalextric (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalextric) was well known internationally, but my limited experience of it was pretty much as the song says.

There's no way I can do a chromatic scale anywhere near fluently on a uke yet, so there's a bit of glockenspiel too. Also there's a baritone uke part, which is essentially me doing an exercise changing between a C and F every four beats.

Here is one that talks about making chores a game

Top Bottom