Thread: CA bleed out on spruce

Default CA bleed out on spruce

It has been many years since I worked with Spruce and I have heard horror stories about CA glue soaking into the end grain on softwoods like spruce and causing all sorts of problems on the final finish..I normally use CA glue on Rosette fitting so to get round this problem I thought it could be a job for Titebond Translucent Glue. and it worked ok with no visible bleeding at all.

D305E8BC-1514-43A6-83EC-40AE3D6B40FF by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Last edited by Timbuck; 02-27-2021 at 11:40 PM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

I can testify that thin CA will wick and create horrible problems especially with redwood. A quick swipe with thin shellac before gluing will eliminate this problem. Perhaps you used a thicker viscosity CA which may not wick as badly. Anyway, I see no wicking at all in your picture.

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    I can testify that thin CA will wick and create horrible problems especially with redwood. A quick swipe with thin shellac before gluing will eliminate this problem. Perhaps you used a thicker viscosity CA which may not wick as badly. Anyway, I see no wicking at all in your picture.
    I used Titebond translucent glue ..not CA.

FEE5A25D-0D6D-41C5-9188-BFE86825432D.jpg
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Thread Information