Maestro UT-MR Tenor - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Thanks for the review! I've been looking forward to this. I've been interested in Maestro ukuleles ever since I saw them at Gute Ukulele but there are very few reviews of them around.

I've been eyeing the concert version of this exact model but I'm wondering if the sound is too similar to a Moon Bird which I already have. It's always difficult to discern the tone via video but to me this one does sound quite a bit like the Moon Bird. Any thoughts on that? I'm thinking I should maybe go for something else that's not rosewood back and sides...

Similar I would say - I think it's louder (though I am going from memory, not side by side) and a touch brighter and crisper. The Moon Bird as I recall was a bit more rounded and more bottom end.

Similar I would say - I think it's louder (though I am going from memory, not side by side) and a touch brighter and crisper. The Moon Bird as I recall was a bit more rounded and more bottom end.

Brilliant, thanks for the comment. I'm not necessarily looking for something brighter than the Moon Bird so I think I'll go for something else. Maestro themselves have some different models. Clearly they're really nice ukes.

I'd agree - suspect you would be doubling up. I think that happens with a lot of the high end instruments. Whilst I know some people are lucky enough to be able to collect them, for me, owning something like a Moon Bird would likely be all the tenor I need with that sort of voice!

I know what you mean. I "only" have the soprano Moon Bird but I'll tell you, the sound of that thing rivals many concerts, both in volume and depth. Not really looking for a louder and brighter version of that, rather something more different.

I was wondering if these are production instruments or one-offs until I found this Spanish review from a coupe of years ago (gotta love Google translate) https://ukulelespain.com/posts/review-maestro-ut-mr-sb/

Seems like there have been some minor changes like the soundhole rosette design and the bridge no longer having the double pass-through (or perhaps it does but was restrung without using the second holes). Overall a very attractive instrument!

Yeah - small volume builder - I suspect designs change all the time (a little here and there,..)

Top Bottom