Review: Kanile'a K-1 C

UkeStuff

Reaction score
This is the long UkeGuide review of the Kanile'a K-1 C that I purchased used, thanks to this site.

It's a wonderful instrument--even though the 2020 and beyond models may be better with the Tru-R bracing (versus the Tru bracing of this model).

While there are scattered models across various brands that I hope to own someday, I'm still a while away from visiting Hawaii to buy a Kamaka HF-2 in person (I'll schedule far in advance with the company to make sure that can happen). But I do own a Koa KoAloha (2003 model) and this Kanile'a.

Someday I'll do a comparison video. When I listen to recordings, many of these high end instruments sound very similar. What is different is the sound you hear as a player.

The Kanile'a really differs in terms of a bright, clean, tone--and the different dimensions of the nut and neck. I can see why Kanile'a and Islander ukuleles are loved by people with large hands (although anyone could play them).

I just consider myself very fortunate to be able to not only review some of these models, but to own them--and I'm so grateful for this forum that has provided a number of ukuleles at an affordable cost--some that will be passed down to my children, and hopefully stay in the family for generations.

The full UkeGuide appears below, as well as the One Minute Ukulele Review. The one page UkeGuide summary can be found at UkeGuide.info (shortcut) or on my normal blog at UkeStuff.info on the UkeGuide page.

Looking forward to your comparison video with this ukulele and your Koaloha. I know both of these brands have a lot of fans. Neither instrument is clearly better for everyone, but they do sound noticeably different. Having both instruments in the same video will minimize differences from microphones and recording settings.

Nice review. I was looking forward to this one. Not really surprised you liked it but I was curious about your comments nonetheless.

I was surprised to hear you mention that the tone is bright, especially compared to a KoAloha. My Kanile'a is definitely warmer and mellower in tone compared to my KoAloha. Mine does have the newer bracing so I don't know if that is what makes the difference. Strings are another factor. I find that fluorocarbon strings give Kanile'as some nice dynamism. You can get a bright tone out of them with fluorocarbons but I'd still describe the sound as warm overall.

They must have started the TRU-R bracing earlier than 2020, because my 2019 K-2 T has it.

Nice review. I was looking forward to this one. Not really surprised you liked it but I was curious about your comments nonetheless.

I was surprised to hear you mention that the tone is bright, especially compared to a KoAloha. My Kanile'a is definitely warmer and mellower in tone compared to my KoAloha. Mine does have the newer bracing so I don't know if that is what makes the difference. Strings are another factor. I find that fluorocarbon strings give Kanile'as some nice dynamism. You can get a bright tone out of them with fluorocarbons but I'd still describe the sound as warm overall.

There's something more broad with my KoAlohas as they seem to resonate 360

Top Bottom