I gave myself tennis elbow!

ghostrdr

Reaction score
So I spent a little too much effort and time trying to play a C6 chord barre (2433) in a song and I pulled a tendon in my fretting hand/arm.

4 weeks later and still not 100%. That really is an evil barre chord...

I

I wimped out on that one years ago. I always play it 0453 instead.

John Colter

Maybe I should have given up. I was hitting the chord pretty cleanly about 60 percent of the time. Oh well.

Anyone else injure themselves like this. How long was the recovery

So sorry to hear you hurt yourself! That's a first in my experience. The chord you're referring to is not a barre chord. It's a chord that should be fretted with your individual fingers. It looks like this: 2433 = IPMR, or Index, Pinkie, Middle, and Ring fingers. My fingers actually lay comfortably on that chord shape. I think you must be doing something wrong.

I'm flaring up my long standing tendonitis working on a "standard" E. I've only been pushing for one rather than an easier alternative is because almost everything I do is finger picking and a muted string sounds awful. I may just start transposing songs to avoid it. I don't want to mess my arm up again. Took a long time to heal when I was younger. Now that I'm older yikes!

So sorry to hear you hurt yourself! That's a first in my experience. The chord you're referring to is not a barre chord. It's a chord that should be fretted with your individual fingers. It looks like this: 2433 = IPMR, or Index, Pinkie, Middle, and Ring fingers. My fingers actually lay comfortably on that chord shape. I think you must be doing something wrong.

Hmmm. I barred with my index finger, played the first and second strings with my middle finger and the C string with my ring finger. My left forearm is hurting just typing this...

I'm flaring up my long standing tendonitis working on a "standard" E. I've only been pushing for one rather than an easier alternative is because almost everything I do is finger picking and a muted string sounds awful. I may just start transposing songs to avoid it. I don't want to mess my arm up again. Took a long time to heal when I was younger. Now that I'm older yikes!

I’m hoping it gets better soon but it’s been a long time already. Sigh...

So I spent a little too much effort and time trying to play a C6 chord barre (2433) in a song and I pulled a tendon in my fretting hand/arm.

I

For that 6 shape, and its corresponding m7 shape, I just play it without the G string. In your case that would be (X433). It is so much easier than trying to get that mini-barre on the E and A strings. And for my tendonitis (non-ukulele related) I bought from the pharmacy one of those velcro band thingies (for the forearm if the bracchialis is the tendon in question)

I’m hoping it gets better soon but it’s been a long time already. Sigh...

I've been living with elbow tendinitis for YEARS now. It first appeared after a multi-day mountain biking vacation and was bad enough that turning doorknobs was difficult. I went to PT, learned some stretches and had some massages. It went away after a few months but then reappeared. It's not nearly as bad as that first time but it is a constant discomfort.

I've heard from others that it seems like it's never improving and then one day it totally disappears. That was my experience after PT but I think I'm going on 4 years with the chronic nagging pain this time around.

My problem is that I'm not willing to give up the things that cause it to flare up; uke, biking, weight lifting, etc.

If the pain is up to your forearm, you really do need to get into PT. Don't ignore it. I learned that the hard way. If you've never used PT, it really does speed your recovery, especially if you follow their recommendations.

One thing that I learned from a PT that may ease things a little. Increased blood flow will speed your healing. Get some rice, pour it into an old sock, knot it and zap it in the microwave until is quite warm. Apply to your hand. I still rely on this moist heat.

If you get that PT appointment, bring your uke with you and show them what position caused the issue. They can be so helpful once they see what caused the injury and can speed your recovery especially if you follow their suggestions at home.

I'm so sorry about your pain. Those injuries can be so frustrating.

Bluesy.

I had it bad 4 years ago playing my classical guitar. It took a while, but I started taking Turmeric with Curcumin and it helped a lot.

Hmmm. I barred with my index finger, played the first and second strings with my middle finger and the C string with my ring finger. My left forearm is hurting just typing this...

I was today years old when I learned this wasn't a barre chord! JK

I play it the same way as you describe ghostdr. I find that the index doesn't really have to barre, only hold down the G string. This takes less force than holding the barre. The middle finger does have some work to do holding down the E and A strings, but I find this approach comfortable and have been doing it this way for years. I wouldn't tell someone who did it differently that they were wrong though.

Well I guess I am not as young as I used to be. It is not encouraging to hear about others dealing with these issues for months or years. However, it is encouraging to see I’m not the only one to have issues like this.

Thank you everyone for the support and well wishes

Last edited:
If you get that PT appointment, bring your uke with you and show them what position caused the issue. They can be so helpful once they see what caused the injury and can speed your recovery especially if you follow their suggestions at home.
Bluesy.

If you can find someone who teaches Alexander Technique, that might be helpful.
A PT may or may not be very knowledgeable about musicians, but teachers of Alexander Technique are used to working with musicians and other performers.

https://alexandertechnique.com/musicians/

Tennis elbow will get better without treatment (known as a self-limiting condition). Tennis knee brace usually lasts between 6 months and 2 years, with most people (90%) making a full recovery within a year. The most important thing to do is to rest your injured arm and stop doing the activity that caused the problem.

I had it bad 4 years ago playing my classical guitar. It took a while, but I started taking Turmeric with Curcumin and it helped a lot.
Yeah, Inflammation can keep these things going longer than necessary. I have been experimenting with Tumeric and Curcumin, and cutting out wheat flour and candy, and it helps.

I went to a physical therapist for tendonitis in my forearms a few years ago. They did massage, used this little ultrasound thing (helps break up scar tissue), had me do a bunch of different stretches, and then also use this thing that was like a rubber stick. You hold it out in front of you and twist it slowly and it helps build up the muscles in your forearms and provides a bit of a stretch. You can get one online; they're not super expensive and come in a range of resistances.

I won't say it cured my tendonitis, but that was probably because I stopped going when I probably should have kept at it. It definitely helped ease it though. I also did the turmeric thing, and tart cherry juice. Bonus, tart cherry juice helps you sleep better.

I've never played C6 until just now.

I
Sorry to hear that.

I just tried the 2433 C6, I think if you bend your middle finger back to cover strings 1 and 2, it may be more ergo.
I've made a video (hopefully useful in) illustrating what I'm trying to say.

Oh, in the video, I should have mentioned that the x433 chord was played with string 4 purposely muted by my barre finger. Also, I can't figure out how to use the Youtube video editor to cut out the middle part, but it's only a few seconds.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I can relate. I've had to get over some RSI issues myself to play my uke. I had it in my early 20s and never got around to doing my rehab, so I never fully recovered. Had to do a lot of exercises to build up weak areas in my forearms. They still bother me sometimes. I hope it heals up soon.

I'm sorry. I can relate. I've had to get over some RSI issues myself to play my uke. I had it in my early 20s and never got around to doing my rehab, so I never fully recovered. Had to do a lot of exercises to build up weak areas in my forearms. They still bother me sometimes. I hope it heals up soon.

As I sit here, I can see at least 4 injuries on myself without any effort: left shoulder lower than right (got ran over by a car), scars on knee and legs (got impaled by trees), crooked pinky(got Kaiser Permanente insurance? beware), scars on arm (got skin sanded off by mother earth). Injuries are unavoidable as we age, and we adapt to them. If they heal up, then that's great; otherwise, they make interesting stories at parties.

Top Bottom