Tenor Ukulele Purchasing Help, Kala vs Cordoba, Pickups (Mi-Si?), Spruce, etc.

VeryDad

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am brand new here and I am looking to purchase my second uke after falling in love with the instrument via a cheap borrowed Alvarez Concert Uke. I know I want a tenor, and I know I would like some sort of pickup system, and I have become enamored with the punchy sound of solid spruce top ukes.

I was initially drawn to Cordoba's offerings because of a friend's 20TM-CE. It sounds great and he has been very happy with it, but he has never bothered to plug it in and could not offer me any assessment of their obviously cheap active pickup system. Cordoba has some gorgeous instruments and the electric cutaway versions of their tenors can usually be had for only $10-$30 more in my ideal $200-$400 price range, a few of them spruce. People seem to love the sound of these Cordoba ukes but I think they have a middle of the road reputation on these forums and I've gotten the impression that they can come out of the box pretty rough and need a proper pro setup. I have struggled to find the ones I like available outside of Amazon, GC, Sweetwater, and I have been heavily sold on buying from a proper ukulele shop that will be sure to deliver an instrument that plays great.

So that leads me to places like Mainland, Mim's and Uke Republic, where my brand choices are a little more constrained. Mim's has some cool Ohanas in my price range but you can't even buy from them most days of the week due to how in demand they are. Mainland has wonderful reviews but they are expensive and seem to mostly only have mahogany stuff in stock right now. The Ukulele Site charges extra for a setup and the shipping is expensive, so I am currently looking at some stuff from Uke Republic.

I have struggled to find the perfect electric-acoustic tenor with a solid spruce top and a sound I like, but there are some interesting Kalas at Republic and they offer pickup installation. I've talked about my general needs and process so far, and now I finally have some specific questions: is Uke Republic's setup service as well-regarded as places like Mim's? I assume their installation service would be as trustworthy as their setup.

Am I ruining my uke by having a pickup installed? I am ok losing a little acoustic volume. Tenors seem loud, spruce is supposed to be loud, and my wife and our apartment neighbors are not going to complain if I have a slightly quieter instrument. But what about the quality of the sound rather than just sheer volume? I would also be losing my ability to return the instrument due to the installation.

The Cordobas have pretty cheap pickups that get mixed-to-positive reviews as far as I can tell. They do what they are supposed to, I guess. Uke Republic, on the other hand, will put a Mi-Si pickup in your uke for $179. Seems pretty great, considering that the pickup itself is selling for $150 on Amazon and has some glowing reviews here on the forums and elsewhere. I'd hate to have to buy a pickup and then pay an additional $100+ for install somewhere down the line. Anyone have any experience with these pickups? Any complaints? This would put me a little over budget, given the Kalas I have been looking at, but maybe it is worth it.

The Kala tenors I have my eye on:

https://kalabrand.com/products/ka-sseby-t
https://kalabrand.com/products/ka-sstu-t

The SSEBY is very attractive. I love the look of that ebony. The thin travel tenor is pretty slick, and is supposed to be incredibly loud and rich. I also found a thread here that says it will take a pickup installation just fine despite its size. Kala seems to be a well-liked and trusted brand when given a proper setup, and I even like the way they look compared to some of the other options in my price range. Anyone here have complaints about the way Kala instruments sound or the value for the price?

I have been drawn to spruce tops but I don't hate any of the materials I have been looking at. Some of the cheaper mahogany ukes sound a bit dull to me and I don't like the colors as much, but I'm sure I could fall in love with the right mahogany uke, or any uke that sounded good, spruce or not.

Good advice be damned, I still have the option to buy a Cordoba with a built-in pickup from Sweetwater. Free shipping, and I would still have enough room in my budget to buy a cheap gig bag and an audio interface to plug into and some cables. Sweetwater even offers a setup service for $40, but I'm sure their setup is not going to be as comprehensive or precise as what some of the good ukulele shops do. And the complaints about Cordoba do seem to be aimed at how rough they can be straight from the factory and general quality control issues, so I have reservations. Anyone have experience with Sweetwater's pro setup offering?

At this point I am mostly just comparing the Kala ukes to the Cordobas I was initially lusting after, but I am open to any advice or other brand or model recommendations. I also would be happy to be talked into (or out of) Cordoba ukes if anyone has any direct experience or knowledge of them and how they compare to similarly priced instruments, Kala in particular. I also would love input about the pickup thing and the option to have Uke Republic install the Mi-Si. I am sorry for writing so much, I am just overwhelmed by all of the information and factors I am juggling and am looking for discussion on anything and everything in relation to my needs. I have come to value the information I can find here quite a bit so your suggestions could easily be the deciding factor in what I choose to purchase. Thank you!

You are asking many questions in one thread and I will try to offer points on some of them. Is your budget max of 400 just for the uke or does that include the electronics for $180? I don't think that in your price range there is a big difference in acoustic sound. These are all fairly generic mass produced instruments that differ mainly by their look. The important thing is to eliminate brands that have known issues so you reduce the chance of getting a bad uke and having to deal with returns etc. If you intend to play mainly amplified then the unamplified uke sound is not very relevant as you adjust what you hear electronically. The material of the top will be much less important than the shape and thickness of the neck as playing comfort is important to reduce the amplification of errors when plugged in.

First of all, Mi-si pickups are an excellent choice. But, not sure if it's worth installing in a $200 uke.

Older Cordobas are very nice, not sure what the models are but the newer ones, I'd pass by.

Also, I've had a few Kalas and never felt like keeping any of them, except their Ubasses.

HMS sets up every purchase as far as I know, they just offer an expedited setup if you're in a hurry.

For your $400 price range, I'd look for something with a pickup already installed.

Ohanas are a good value as are most anything HMS, MIM or UkeRepublic offer. Just find something you like that comes with a pickup.

https://www.ukerepublic.com/store/p705/Flight_Sophia_TE_Electro_Acoustic_Tenor_ukulele.html

So many questions :p

First, you would be well served by any of the uke-specific vendors you mention. Mainland, Mim, UR, and HMS all have good and well-earned reputations.

The Misi is a very good pickup. You will not ruin your uke by having a pickup installed. There will be no noticeable effect on acoustic tone.

If you are buying from a store that doesn't provide setup, Kala uke (the newer ones) comes with a checklist certificate that guarantees basic playability.

That was a lot to read but clearly you've been thinking about these things quite a bit and that's good. I probably won't be able to answer everything but here goes.

First, installing a pickup won't ruin the instrument in any way. The effect on the sound with drilling the output jack on the lower bout and the added weight of the pickup is miniscule. Absolutely nothing to worry about. Whether a pickup installation has effect on the return policy probably depends on where you buy the uke.

That being said, and as others have mentioned, I wouldn't install a separate pickup to a $200-400 mid-range uke, especially not a quality pickup like a MiSi. Instead, I'd try to find a model with a pickup already installed. Since you were looking at Kalas, they have loads of models with pickups.

That being said, again, I personally dislike Kala. As you correctly assumed, they are decent quality when they are set up properly but nowadays you are paying slightly for the Kala name. There are so many alternate brands that offer a similar or better product with the same amount money or less. Ohana is a great option and they also have some models with pickups. My personal favourite mid-range brand is Flight who actually have pickups in most if not all of their solid top ukes. They have lots of different models but here's a direct link to a really nice solid top spruce uke that I've tried myself and highly recommend: https://www.ukerepublic.com/store/p705/Flight_Sophia_TE_Electro_Acoustic_Tenor_ukulele.html

Whether you're thinking about ordering from Uke Republic or Mim's, I doubt it matters really in the end. Both are highly regarded dealers. The Ukulele Site is also highly regarded but nowadays they charge $40 for a full setup on their cheaper ukes.

Uke Republic is good, but please don't exclude the Ukulele Site (HMS) from your sites to look at. They are one of THE best uke shops out there. Setups are free if the instrument is $399 and over, $40 if it's under. Everything I've received from them has been excellent. They are so busy that you will wait in a queue for your uke to be set up, but rest assured it'll be gone over with a fine tooth comb. At the very least, you can use their excellent sound samples to judge how a uke will sound and play. Here's a video (one of many) they made with their top uke choices in every price category from $200- $800. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP5lOjg1zj0&feature=emb_logo

I also want to add that I have a solid maple Kala that I like very much. It's a keeper. I'm not a fan of the the tone on cheaper laminates, including Kalas, Ohanas, and Lunas that I've tried, though maybe I just haven't met the right one. If neck width is important to you then you should check the specs before buying.

They are one of THE best uke shops out there. Setups are free if the instrument is $399 and over, $40 if it's under
Looks like they are offering free setup on ALL instruments as a special deal for the month of November!

To add a note on the pickup -- I'm not so against putting a high-quality pickup like MiSi in a $200-$400 ukulele. The main consideration is that your amplified sound will only sound as good as the acoustic instrument itself -- so, on more modest ukuleles, where there can be more variance in quality, you should be sure that you like the natural tone!

I have 3 cordoba ukes. 15TM, 15SM, and UM-1. The 15TM is my primary Low G ukulele. I love it and I couldnt be happier with it. I have uke logic pink sandia soft tension strings on it, and I think it sounds great.

The other 2 also sound great, I just play them less. I would recommend any of then for sure. I have been nothing but satisfied with my cordoba purchases. They all came from guitar center. None of them had any setup done to them at all, except filing the Nut of the 15TM to more comfortably fit my Low G string.

Hello everyone! I am brand new here and I am looking to purchase my second uke after falling in love with the instrument via a cheap borrowed Alvarez Concert Uke. I know I want a tenor, and I know I would like some sort of pickup system, and I have become enamored with the punchy sound of solid spruce top ukes.

I was initially drawn to Cordoba's offerings because of a friend's 20TM-CE. It sounds great and he has been very happy with it, but he has never bothered to plug it in and could not offer me any assessment of their obviously cheap active pickup system. Cordoba has some gorgeous instruments and the electric cutaway versions of their tenors can usually be had for only $10-$30 more in my ideal $200-$400 price range, a few of them spruce. People seem to love the sound of these Cordoba ukes but I think they have a middle of the road reputation on these forums and I've gotten the impression that they can come out of the box pretty rough and need a proper pro setup. I have struggled to find the ones I like available outside of Amazon, GC, Sweetwater, and I have been heavily sold on buying from a proper ukulele shop that will be sure to deliver an instrument that plays great.

So that leads me to places like Mainland, Mim's and Uke Republic, where my brand choices are a little more constrained. Mim's has some cool Ohanas in my price range but you can't even buy from them most days of the week due to how in demand they are. Mainland has wonderful reviews but they are expensive and seem to mostly only have mahogany stuff in stock right now. The Ukulele Site charges extra for a setup and the shipping is expensive, so I am currently looking at some stuff from Uke Republic.

I have struggled to find the perfect electric-acoustic tenor with a solid spruce top and a sound I like, but there are some interesting Kalas at Republic and they offer pickup installation. I've talked about my general needs and process so far, and now I finally have some specific questions: is Uke Republic's setup service as well-regarded as places like Mim's? I assume their installation service would be as trustworthy as their setup.

Am I ruining my uke by having a pickup installed? I am ok losing a little acoustic volume. Tenors seem loud, spruce is supposed to be loud, and my wife and our apartment neighbors are not going to complain if I have a slightly quieter instrument. But what about the quality of the sound rather than just sheer volume? I would also be losing my ability to return the instrument due to the installation.

The Cordobas have pretty cheap pickups that get mixed-to-positive reviews as far as I can tell. They do what they are supposed to, I guess. Uke Republic, on the other hand, will put a Mi-Si pickup in your uke for $179. Seems pretty great, considering that the pickup itself is selling for $150 on Amazon and has some glowing reviews here on the forums and elsewhere. I'd hate to have to buy a pickup and then pay an additional $100+ for install somewhere down the line. Anyone have any experience with these pickups? Any complaints? This would put me a little over budget, given the Kalas I have been looking at, but maybe it is worth it.

The Kala tenors I have my eye on:

The SSEBY is very attractive. I love the look of that ebony. The thin travel tenor is pretty slick, and is supposed to be incredibly loud and rich. I also found a thread here that says it will take a pickup installation just fine despite its size. Kala seems to be a well-liked and trusted brand when given a proper setup, and I even like the way they look compared to some of the other options in my price range. Anyone here have complaints about the way Kala instruments sound or the value for the price?

I have been drawn to spruce tops but I don't hate any of the materials I have been looking at. Some of the cheaper mahogany ukes sound a bit dull to me and I don't like the colors as much, but I'm sure I could fall in love with the right mahogany uke, or any uke that sounded good, spruce or not.

Good advice be damned, I still have the option to buy a Cordoba with a built-in pickup from Sweetwater. Free shipping, and I would still have enough room in my budget to buy a cheap gig bag and an audio interface to plug into and some cables. Sweetwater even offers a setup service for $40, but I'm sure their setup is not going to be as comprehensive or precise as what some of the good ukulele shops do. And the complaints about Cordoba do seem to be aimed at how rough they can be straight from the factory and general quality control issues, so I have reservations. Anyone have experience with Sweetwater's pro setup offering?

At this point I am mostly just comparing the Kala ukes to the Cordobas I was initially lusting after, but I am open to any advice or other brand or model recommendations. I also would be happy to be talked into (or out of) Cordoba ukes if anyone has any direct experience or knowledge of them and how they compare to similarly priced instruments, Kala in particular. I also would love input about the pickup thing and the option to have Uke Republic install the Mi-Si. I am sorry for writing so much, I am just overwhelmed by all of the information and factors I am juggling and am looking for discussion on anything and everything in relation to my needs. I have come to value the information I can find here quite a bit so your suggestions could easily be the deciding factor in what I choose to purchase. Thank you!
Did you pick one? I love my Cordoba 25T-CE Tenor uke!

In defense of Kala, I think they have a niche they fill pretty well. That of inexpensive decent sounding ukes that are good for beginners. With the competition putting pressure on their position as the best known brand in ukuleles, I think they have made an effort to pick up their game.

With their extensive lineup of models, you can find examples at all quality levels. Bang for the buck? I think they are reasonable.

I have a spruce top tenor Ohana TK70w from Mim that I love. I don’t know if it is the setup or the brand, but it sounds better than the un-setup Kalas and Cordobas I’ve tried in Guitar Center, even the solid-top models, though none were spruce. I’ve bought from Mim twice and both times was very happy with my purchase. It was worth waiting for. Having said that, any of the other popular uke sites might be equally good, I just haven’t tried them.

I am an acoustic-only player, so I have no opinions on pickups or their installation.

I have a spruce top tenor Ohana TK70w from Mim that I love. I don’t know if it is the setup or the brand, but it sounds better than the un-setup Kalas and Cordobas I’ve tried in Guitar Center, even the solid-top models, though none were spruce. I’ve bought from Mim twice and both times was very happy with my purchase. It was worth waiting for. Having said that, any of the other popular uke sites might be equally good, I just haven’t tried them.

I am an acoustic-only player, so I have no opinions on pickups or their installation.
Every uke I've tried in a Guitar Center sounds awful. They carry bottom of the barrel from my experiences with them. Or they just don't maintain them. Or both.

Top Bottom