Sugar, Sugar

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Anybody still playing Aquila Sugar strings? Haven't heard much about them lately. I'm trying to optimize a mahogany tenor, and put on a slightly used set of Sugars, the more recent ones that Mimmo sent me to test. They immediately brightened and sweetened up the uke, compared to the Super Nylguts which were on there. Less middy, more chime, at least on this mid-focused uke. We'll see as they settle in, but so far so good.

Last edited:
When I tried Sugar strings (both versions) I loved them. I did have a bit of the squeak with both. Part of that problem is that it was winter and being so dry it probably accentuated the problem. I should give them another shot at some point.

Yes, I use them on a couple of ukes. Although I still have to tolerate a bit of squeak for a while, they have a lovely sound on both spruce top and koa top tenors. And "chime" is an apt description.

Yes, I have them on a spruce top/mahogany back and sides 20's Gibson tenor. I was originally looking for fatter strings without extra tension.
They still sound sweet, and feel just right for this uke.
Squeak??? Never was a big problem for me - given that they fit the bill in all other ways. They still have minute traces of squeak if I listen for it, but mostly I don't notice at all.
I play this one a lot and haven't found any wear or degradation of sound - so the extra sets I got will last me forever.

I’m playing a set dated 5/2020, with the gold “Squeakless” sticker on the packet, on my Outdoor soprano.

I haven’t experienced much at all in the way of squeak, and I like the sound and feel very much.

However, at least the first layer of the strings—if not more— is noticeably fraying above the first-position frets and at those where I strum. I haven’t see this before on this ukulele or others, and the strings are comparatively new.

E5F122C4-CC37-4E1A-BA06-81610609EEA2.jpg

~ S.

Last edited:
I use them on most of my Ukes.

Don’t notice the squeak like the originals had.

I recommend them.

I actually found they squeak less. In fact the squeak is something I get with regular Nylguts and a reason I don't use them. A luthier in the UK told me he has same problem, but put it down to his fingertips being bashed up from sanding. I'm not a luthier, but get the same. Didn't with sugars though.

Didn't they redo the sugars to be less squeaky after customer feedback?

Didn't they redo the sugars to be less squeaky after customer feedback?

Yes they did. There's now a squeakless version available. You can identify them by a gold star on the package. In my experience, the new squeakless sugar strings only squeak only about as much as normal nylguts so to me they were a huge improvement in that regard. However, as per bazmaz's comments above, it's not universal. Some people didn't notice a difference and some even preferred the original sugar strings, but most people tended to like the new ones better in terms of feel if I recall correctly. That being said, I massively preferred the look of the original strings since they were completely clear. The new ones look more like nylguts and are opaque.

I have tried all versions of sugar. I love the sound of the most recent prototype that mimmo sent out. It was bright and has a lot of chime. However, it squeaked like crazy with my dry fingers, both left and right hands! The newest squeakless (with gold sticker) still squeaked some, but the tone was not the same. Less bright, almost warm sounding. I prefer the prototype.

Top Bottom