Recommend me a mango ukulele

a green field

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a semi-experienced ukulele player (but not at all a good one) with a Ko'Aloha tenor, a couple mahogany baritones and a mahogany concert. I am thinking it would be fun to try out a medium end mango ukulele (approximately $500 or less ideally) in a concert size. I mostly finger pick. Do folks have a recommendation?

Thank you for taking a look

The only non-custom one that comes to mind is Pono

Thanks all for the ideas. I'm looking to explore some non-mainstream tonewoods for fun (I have mahogany, koa, and soon cherry covered) and would be open to any fun ideas otherwise. I have been looking at the Pono and Ohana and having trouble pulling the trigger. Fuel my UAS!

I have a Mele Mango concert that I'm very fond of and would be within your budget.

What I can say about Mele ukuleles is that they have slightly shabby looking construction but they play and sound great. It depends on what you value, though. If you really want it to look neat, I would get a Pono. If you value sound and playability, I would get a Mele.

https://meleukulele.com/product/mele-mango-concert-mc5/

Not that many mango ukes around from different manufacturers around that price point. I agree with previous comments on the Pono, that would be your best bet in my opinion. You can get a mango Pono in a pineapple shape as well. I have the mango pineapple concert myself and it's really nice.

A step up from that would be something like the Rebel or Big Island mango ukes but those are already beyond your budget. The Rebels particularly are highly regarded so if you can stretch your budget or find one used you might want to have a look at those.

Not that many mango ukes around from different manufacturers around that price point. I agree with previous comments on the Pono, that would be your best bet in my opinion. You can get a mango Pono in a pineapple shape as well. I have the mango pineapple concert myself and it's really nice.

A step up from that would be something like the Rebel or Big Island mango ukes but those are already beyond your budget. The Rebels particularly are highly regarded so if you can stretch your budget or find one used you might want to have a look at those.

The Pono MGT satin finished mango tenor is nice. I have one and I think it's more open sounding than the high-gloss versions. The satin MGTP mago tenor pineapple I bought sounded very good, but the neck was problematic. I returned it and paid the restocking fee. The heel and finish were a mess. Sometimes the spalting on both versions can be rather ugly. Blotchy rather than interesting grain patterns. Ask to see a photo before you pull the trigger on either model..

A used Mango Romero Tiny Tenor might be within your budget. Most of them are spalted though, and that raises the price.

Talk to Mike at Uke Republic. He's been selling concert sized mango Rebel Double Cremes for $535.00. There's currently none in stock but I'm sure they'll be more in the future.

I'd get a Rebel.

Hi there,

I'm a semi-experienced ukulele player (but not at all a good one) with a Ko'Aloha tenor, a couple mahogany baritones and a mahogany concert. I am thinking it would be fun to try out a medium end mango ukulele (approximately $500 or less ideally) in a concert size. I mostly finger pick. Do folks have a recommendation?

I have a Rebel Mango Double Creme Super Soprano with low-G. Yes, that's a big name. The sound is amazing. When I first played it, I couldn't believe the sound coming from it. It's amazing. A super soprano has s soprano body with a concert neck (as I understand it). I bought it used for $450.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Reb...hrome..69i57.520j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

KoAloha is a top tier brand but is outside the budget you listed, unless you find a rockin deal on pre-owned. I also would recommend Pono. I have a Pono mango pineapple tenor I bought from another user. Solid build, nice curly mangowood, strung with low g, very balanced tone, sweet and warm. That being said, their solid build comes with a bit more weight than other brands, but that hasn't been an issue for me.

Edit: You might be able to find a private luthier who builds mango concerts within your budget range. Quality is up for you to decide but just mentioning it as another option.

KoAloha is a top tier brand but is outside the budget you listed, unless you find a rockin deal on pre-owned. I also would recommend Pono. I have a Pono mango pineapple tenor I bought from another user. Solid build, nice curly mangowood, strung with low g, very balanced tone, sweet and warm. That being said, their solid build comes with a bit more weight than other brands, but that hasn't been an issue for me.

Pono also make a concert mango pineapple well within budget. I love my Pono mango pineapple. It has a sound unlike any other ukulele I have.

HMS have a concert pineapple plus the standard models -

https://theukulelesite.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=pono+mango+concert

Last edited:
Another vote for the Mainland Mango; well within your budget, and *excellent* instruments!

Bought mine years ago, still love it to bits. :)

Hi there,

Look into the KoAloha Opio's at HMS (The ukulele site). Last I looked they had a few mango's listed. Since you have a KoAloha 'standard' you're familiar with the "fit" and finish. I have a new Opio (Acacia) because I loved my other KoAloha's ... and their quality and sound is right up there with the 'parent' models. Beautifully made.

Top Bottom