Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want a Soprano, but can't seem to play it. And, still want one

Default I want a Soprano, but can't seem to play it. And, still want one

I've tried a two Ohana sopranos, and one Bruce Wei. Couldn't comfortably play any of them. My hand's are medium sized, but long fingers. The goofy thing is, when I read any posts on this site about "Martin sopranos" or best Martin Copies, I get to wanting one again.

I can play a concert better, and have settled on Kanile'a K1 and Cordoba Tenors for now.

Anyone have this dilemma? Am I being drawn in by that sweet "POP" I know they have and the "cute" factor?

Al

What's the issue exactly? Do you struggle with string spacing or with the space between the frets. If it's the former you can try and find a soprano that has a wider nut/neck and string spacing than your standard 35mm nut width. If it's the latter then I'm afraid there's no easy cure for that when it comes to regular soprano scale ukes. You can either get a long neck soprano or you just have to learn to play the scale length.

Something like this would probably work.

http://shimaukulele.com

There are others with similar fretboard measurements that may work

You need an antacid because you've got GAS! I also want a Platonic ideal Martin soprano, but I never play my current soprano, favoring tenors. Gear Acquisition Syndrome just stuck for me again yesterday, and now I have a beautiful flame maple topped Telecaster shaped guitar.

I also covet my neighbor's ass (well backyard), so maybe I am just covetous.
    Too chicken to install strap buttons...

Thanks all! It's frets too close. I was browsing MIMs for the 20th time last night, and I keep finding myself ogling the Martin Hog Soprano going for $420. There's one on there (killer grain), I sware it winked at me. I really like her site. When and if I pull the trigger, it's going to be the whole bannana, donate for dog rescue and everything. MIMs is like Sweetwater on roids. Anyway, I realize I may have to just try harder next time with a Soprano. Going from guitars (51 years) to Tenor was nice. But there is just something about the Soprano. I remember the first time I saw a incredible fingerstyle piece done on a Soprano. The guy playing it was probably 65 to 70 years old, and it was the sweetest sound I ever heard.

If you really do want it bad enough you can adapt. I know where you are coming from.......a guitar to soprano is a big difference. But it just takes time, patience and practice to adapt.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

Sounds like you're trying to do too much, too soon, with those Sopranos. Just forget all your sophisticated Guitar know how, and sit around strumming the C, Am, F, G7, C progression taking it slow and easy. Your fingers will start to find their way to those little positions just fine. Don't go any further with it till that feels natural and comfortable.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Sounds like a longneck soprano may work for you: same small soprano body, cool soprano sound, but concert scale, so more room between the frets.
    John

Finger or hand size is not relevant, just can be limiting if you want to span many frets. It's just a matter of practice to put them in the right place at the right angle. If things feel to crowded then it can also help to press more than one string with a finger.

Get a sopranino and play it for a few months - or at least until you’re comfortable sort of spanning a couple frets to get the notes you want. (The spaces are small, so your finger might overlap up the fret board a bit.) Then go to a soprano and revel in the roominess!

And I’m only half joking about this. Seriously, give it some thought.
    My Ukuleles
    KoAloha Naupaka soprano
    KoAloha Noah sopranino
    DJ Morgan Mini Pineapple
    Luna Pearl concert
    Cocobolo concert #384 (Teak!)

Thread Information