I want a Soprano, but can't seem to play it. And, still want one

ajbelville

Reaction score
I've tried a two Ohana sopranos, and one Bruce Wei. Couldn't comfortably play any of them. My hand's are medium sized, but long fingers. The goofy thing is, when I read any posts on this site about "Martin sopranos" or best Martin Copies, I get to wanting one again.

I can play a concert better, and have settled on Kanile'a K1 and Cordoba Tenors for now.

Anyone have this dilemma? Am I being drawn in by that sweet "POP" I know they have and the "cute" factor?

Al

What's the issue exactly? Do you struggle with string spacing or with the space between the frets. If it's the former you can try and find a soprano that has a wider nut/neck and string spacing than your standard 35mm nut width. If it's the latter then I'm afraid there's no easy cure for that when it comes to regular soprano scale ukes. You can either get a long neck soprano or you just have to learn to play the scale length.

Something like this would probably work.

http://shimaukulele.com

There are others with similar fretboard measurements that may work

You need an antacid because you've got GAS! I also want a Platonic ideal Martin soprano, but I never play my current soprano, favoring tenors. Gear Acquisition Syndrome just stuck for me again yesterday, and now I have a beautiful flame maple topped Telecaster shaped guitar.

I also covet my neighbor's ass (well backyard), so maybe I am just covetous. ;)

Thanks all! It's frets too close. I was browsing MIMs for the 20th time last night, and I keep finding myself ogling the Martin Hog Soprano going for $420. There's one on there (killer grain), I sware it winked at me. I really like her site. When and if I pull the trigger, it's going to be the whole bannana, donate for dog rescue and everything. MIMs is like Sweetwater on roids. Anyway, I realize I may have to just try harder next time with a Soprano. Going from guitars (51 years) to Tenor was nice. But there is just something about the Soprano. I remember the first time I saw a incredible fingerstyle piece done on a Soprano. The guy playing it was probably 65 to 70 years old, and it was the sweetest sound I ever heard.

If you really do want it bad enough you can adapt. I know where you are coming from.......a guitar to soprano is a big difference. But it just takes time, patience and practice to adapt.

Sounds like you're trying to do too much, too soon, with those Sopranos. Just forget all your sophisticated Guitar know how, and sit around strumming the C, Am, F, G7, C progression taking it slow and easy. Your fingers will start to find their way to those little positions just fine. Don't go any further with it till that feels natural and comfortable.

Finger or hand size is not relevant, just can be limiting if you want to span many frets. It's just a matter of practice to put them in the right place at the right angle. If things feel to crowded then it can also help to press more than one string with a finger.

Get a sopranino and play it for a few months - or at least until you’re comfortable sort of spanning a couple frets to get the notes you want. (The spaces are small, so your finger might overlap up the fret board a bit.) Then go to a soprano and revel in the roominess!

And I’m only half joking about this. Seriously, give it some thought.

Thanks folks for helping me understand the little animal. Anyone have suggestions for a classic looking soprano other than the Martin's. Trying to keep it around $500. Thanks much. Al

I am a new player, having picked up the ukulele in December. Before I bought my first uke, I tried playing my daughter’s Kala Learn-to-Play soprano. Did not go to well. I have large hands and any chord that wasn’t the C chord sounded horrible. I bought a relatively inexpensive concert-size uke and it was easier to play some of the other chords (though I still sounded bad). When I would play the Kala soprano after playing the concert, some of what used to be extremely difficult became a bit easier.

I have since purchased a Koaloha Opio Acacia Soprano and I love it. I am still learning the basics, but when I play things right, the tone and sound are outstanding. It is also very light. The math may not bear this out from the specs, but it just feels like it it has much more room on the fretboard than the starter Kala. I can’t say whether or not the Koaloha is a “classic” look, and it certainly does not have the bling of the Ohana Martin replicas, but it is a nice “player.” There is also a longneck version and one with a spruce top, all within your budget of about $500. My only issue with it has been keeping the friction tuners in tune, but the strings are also new so I expected I would have to retune more frequently. In another few months, if it still an issue, then I will know that friction tuners may look better on a soprano, but sure are a pain.

I got mine at HMS and it was wonderfully set up. Mim also sells the Opio, and everyone knows (even newbies like me who read everything uke related now) that she does a great set-up as well.

I agree with ukecaster here, you might want to look at a long-neck soprano as an option. There aren't a ton of folks making those right now, however. The KoAloaha Opio acacia long-neck soprano might be an option. (The Ukulele Site has some in stock right now.) Otherwise, look for something with a wide nut-width. That may help you some.

I would definitely agree on the KoAloha Opio soprano as well and I'd consider the long neck version definitely. Not really sure if that counts as a classic looking soprano though. If you're dead set on getting a regular soprano you'll have more choices. The Martin S1 is ok but despite the looks it was underwhelming for myself. I would rather recommend a Pono soprano. They come in either mahogany, acacia or mango, and they also have long neck versions although they're definitely harder to find. Very traditional sopranos though. You might even be able to find a Rebel soprano uke for around $500. They're made by the same people as the Opio range, highly regarded. If you go slightly cheaper you'll find more of the Chinese-made brands like Ohana, Flight and Mainland that have some nice classic sopranos. Not as good quality as the ones mentioned earlier but still decent ukes.

Thanks folks for helping me understand the little animal. Anyone have suggestions for a classic looking soprano other than the Martin's. Trying to keep it around $500. Thanks much. Al

In the Martin copy thread, I raved about my Brad Donaldson Martin 0 style copy. It was $350, luthier made, and amazing.

I've tried a two Ohana sopranos, and one Bruce Wei. Couldn't comfortably play any of them. My hand's are medium sized, but long fingers. The goofy thing is, when I read any posts on this site about "Martin sopranos" or best Martin Copies, I get to wanting one again.

I can play a concert better, and have settled on Kanile'a K1 and Cordoba Tenors for now.

Anyone have this dilemma? Am I being drawn in by that sweet "POP" I know they have and the "cute" factor?

Al

Others have given you some good direction. I don’t know about the Bruce Wei but the Ohanas have narrow necks (34 mm IIRC). A narrow neck Soprano can be hard to play because its strings are too close together. Wider neck Sopranos are not as easy to find as they should be but look for something around 36 or 37 mm across the nut and hope for a string spread of 30mm over g to A. The early Martin Sopranos had a wide nut and wide spaced strings, but not all copies are true to that feature and the current Martins are a bit narrower than the early ones.

Last edited:
In the Martin copy thread, I raved about my Brad Donaldson Martin 0 style copy. It was $350, luthier made, and amazing.

Wow! $350? I tried to find him online. Went to his website and clicked on instruments and nothing came up. I wonder if he is taking a break. Is that lower than his usual price?

Thanks!

Al

I agree with ukecaster here, you might want to look at a long-neck soprano as an option. There aren't a ton of folks making those right now, however. The KoAloaha Opio acacia long-neck soprano might be an option. (The Ukulele Site has some in stock right now.) Otherwise, look for something with a wide nut-width. That may help you some.

Thanks! I'll check on the wider nut width. I definetly want that look to go along with the pop.

I am a new player, having picked up the ukulele in December. Before I bought my first uke, I tried playing my daughter’s Kala Learn-to-Play soprano. Did not go to well. I have large hands and any chord that wasn’t the C chord sounded horrible. I bought a relatively inexpensive concert-size uke and it was easier to play some of the other chords (though I still sounded bad). When I would play the Kala soprano after playing the concert, some of what used to be extremely difficult became a bit easier.

I have since purchased a Koaloha Opio Acacia Soprano and I love it. I am still learning the basics, but when I play things right, the tone and sound are outstanding. It is also very light. The math may not bear this out from the specs, but it just feels like it it has much more room on the fretboard than the starter Kala. I can’t say whether or not the Koaloha is a “classic” look, and it certainly does not have the bling of the Ohana Martin replicas, but it is a nice “player.” There is also a longneck version and one with a spruce top, all within your budget of about $500. My only issue with it has been keeping the friction tuners in tune, but the strings are also new so I expected I would have to retune more frequently. In another few months, if it still an issue, then I will know that friction tuners may look better on a soprano, but sure are a pain.

I got mine at HMS and it was wonderfully set up. Mim also sells the Opio, and everyone knows (even newbies like me who read everything uke related now) that she does a great set-up as well.

thanks! I'm headin to her site now

How about the Islander MSS-4 Deluxe Soprano Ukulele Satin Natural? It is solid Hog and 1.5" nut width

Top Bottom