Is this an ukulele?

Piecomics

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JODaYjDyjyQ

In her 3rd song (which starts at around the 10:30 minute mark but you should totally listen to the whole thing anyway) she is playing a little four string that I think is a uke but I don't know much about the guitar variations in Mexico.

thanks!

I think I see a cuatro, or maybe a tiple, being played behind her.
What Natalia is playing could be an ukulele, it appears to have nylon strings. And it sounds it when she strums it.

Interesting! I think cordoba makes/made a uke that could double as a cuatro with the right strings. I bet that is what it is, thanks!

The article I linked say "Natalia Lafourcade playing a Roble Maria woods Cuatro made by a professional luthier on this NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert."
I don't see any information on who the luthier might be with a quick search. Might take some digging to find out.

Yes, I read it and appreciated it! I also realize my comment may have read that I thought cordoba made *her* cuatro, or that there was some question about whether it was a cuatro. I got it. Just very unfocused and not communicating well right now. :)

Cuatros vary from country to country. I played one once for a few minutes a few years back. A group called Surcari played a concert at the school I retired from. The leader of the group is from Puerto Rico so I suspect the cuatro she used was from Puerto Rico. It was larger than a tenor but not as large as a baritone.

The guy in the beard and pony tail is playing a charango.

Cuartro = steel string
Ukulele = nylon string

Similar to Acoustic Guitar vs Classical Guitar

Bear in mind that steel strings have a lot more tension so the steel string instrument has to be stronger to deal with the higher tension. So they are not as "easy" to make in a lower cost format.

The one cuatro I played had nylon strings.

Top Bottom