Compensated saddles and low G

Siv

Reaction score
So I was thinking about the impact of fitting a fluorocarbon low G to my ukes and was wondering about how the compensated saddles impact this.

My Kamaka came with high g as normal and you can see that the G and A strings have similar compensation making them the shortest strings and the thickest C string being the longest.
51000722202_6aee6cd139_c.jpg

A few of my ukes have compensated saddles and only one (The Romero Tiny Tenor) has a low G fitted from the factory. But the low G is wound hence a lot thinner than your average. The compensation looks vey similar to the high g Kamaka.
51000602426_41bd4185f7_c.jpg

A look at my low G opio with uncompensated saddle doesn't reveal much but does show how much thicker the low G string is.
51000726387_1e524e0c71_c.jpg

So with a thick low G, should a compensated saddle be adjusted to effectively lengthen the string? Or is this too much science and my ears probably wouldn't notice?

Only my luthier built uke has a hand carved compensated saddle, the other five do not and maybe they would be better intonated if they had one. As much as I like science and theory, on this one I would just put the string on and see how I like, and then deal with potential intonation issues after they occur.

Last edited:
A low G string should be set with more saddle compensation than a high G string but that doesn't mean that anyone changes saddles just because they changed strings.
Test it for yourself.
Play each note on the low G string up the neck and use an accurate tuner to look for an error or not.

Top Bottom