Favorite low g string sets?

Wdh777

Reaction score
What are folks favorite low g string sets. Wound vs nylon low g? Thanks

It probably depends on the instrument. I just put Worth Browns on my Outdoor Tenor and ruined my plan to sell it. Darn thing's too tasty now with the new strings!

The Worth clear low G on my Kamaka tenor have good balance from string to string and a sound that I like. I can't really say how much is due to the strings vs the instrument.

As of now my Ko'olau is strung with Thomastik-Infeld CF 30 and CF 27, they are the G and C string respectively, they are Chrome Steel Flat wound strings. The trebles are Worth Clears. It is a great combination. To my ears, they are the best Low G tuning. To my ears being the operative words. A very subjective subject.

My favorites are Savarez, Living Waters and stock Koaloha strings, all unwound. What someone said about "depends on the instrument" is so very true.

All of my low G tenors have a wound G and C string. Depending on the instrument they might be Thomastik CF30 with CF27, Fremont Soloist with Thomastik CF27 or Fremont Soloist with Savarez 527 R (great sounding C string). I then couple those pairs with florocarbon E and A strings from Pyramid, Savarez or Oasis warm set.

One of the nice things about buying used ukuleles is receiving them with strings you wouldn't normally buy or play. I just got a used Pono tenor with D'Addario EJ99TLG (flourocarbon) low G strings. They sound nice with really low tension. This is now the second used uke I bought that came with low tension strings. I liked them both times. Not normally the strings I'd buy. I think the universe might be telling me something.

Oh -and it's my first non-wound low G. I'm really liking that too!

Worth Clears for me.

One of the nice things about buying used ukuleles is receiving them with strings you wouldn't normally buy or play. I just got a used Pono tenor with D'Addario EJ99TLG (flourocarbon) low G strings. They sound nice with really low tension. This is now the second used uke I bought that came with low tension strings. I liked them both times. Not normally the strings I'd buy. I think the universe might be telling me something.

Oh -and it's my first non-wound low G. I'm really liking that too!

I thought that all d'Addario sets had wound low G strings, so if this set has fluorocarbon low G I will have to check it out and maybe give it a try.

Top Bottom