Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kala SUB UBass

Default Kala SUB UBass

A black Kala SUB UBass has come up for sale on craigslist very near me. I’m wondering if this model stands the test of time. How would it compare to, say, a Hadean solid body?
    Last edited by rorym; 03-04-2021 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Lost data

Generally better components (tuners, electronics) across the board. Strings are a matter of preference and you may need to replace. If it’s in good condition I’d definitely buy that one rather than a new Haden at a comparable price. If it weren’t for the border closure I’d race you for that one.

I went ahead and bought the thing! It's quite nice, actually.

* It's got an old set of round wounds on it - I'll replace them, with another set of round wounds in all likelihood.
    * On a related note, the nut slots are way oversized for the round wounds.
    * The screws that hold the back cover on need to be replaced. I think the previous owner used the wrong size Phillips on them and damaged the head slightly.
    * The case has a strong fragrance smell, as does the fretboard to a lesser degree. Probably from laundry detergent -the seller said it had been under his bed for a while. The case is hanging out on the line to air out, probably for a week or two. I'm not sure what the best thing to do for the fretboard would be - a mild cleaner plus reconditioning is probably the best route.

Congrats! You should have fun with it!

I think the original strings for these would have been the polyurethane rubbery strings rather than Roundwounds.

Personally I think the original Ubass strings - the Road Toad Pahoehoe are the best.
    They're slick, smooth and sound nice and mellow. Last forever too.

The newer Aquila Thundergut tend to be sticky.. not as pleasant to play.

I think the Kala Sub Ubass had a Shadow electronics system. They would be a tier above unbranded pickup systems that come in cheaper bass ukes.

Congrat's, pic's or it's not true...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe

I’ll post pics when I put the new strings on. I ordered a set of flat wounds yesterday, so it’s thumb twiddling time right now.

I have an acoustic UBass with Thunder Reds, as kissing said, the ones that came with it were much too sticky. I have original strings that came with the SUB, I was going to toss them, but I’ll keep them instead. Like the case, the need to air out for a good while. What is it with all the nasty persistent fragrances these days?

I feel compelled to point out that Kala does not recommend the flats on the solid bodies. However, I also know of owners who have disregarded that advice with no ill effects reported - yet. I'm not risking it on my California, but it's your bass so make your own decision.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Southern Cross concert GCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Kala's recommendation not to use metal wound strings is specific to the California UBass line. On another thread someone thought the reason was the lack of a truss rod on the California. I can confirm the SUB does have a truss rod.

Kala says the round-wounds are "Not for use on California Solid Body U-BASS(R)".

They say the "The Kala Flatwound strings are only compatible with our acoustic-electric U-BASS(R)".

The reasoning is unclear - somebody on Facebook said that Kala gave them several rounds of warrantee support for round-wounds popping off of a California before adding the disclaimer. End story, your mileage may vary.

My personal risk-averseness would be much higher with a $1500 California* than a $150 used SUB, and I've considered putting flats on my Hadean.

--Rob[*]Yes, there are less expensive Californias. The one I want is up there. If you're just window shopping you might as well window shop big!
    Last edited by Arcy; 03-05-2021 at 03:00 PM. Reason: UU doesn't like Kala's dot or (R) in U-Bass(R)

Thread Information