Help me to determine which Tenor Ukulele to buy, Opio KTO-10, Pono ATD

wqking

Reaction score
(I will post this on both Reddit and UU ukuleleunderground)

I've been researching for long time and narrowed down the candidates. But I'm hesitating between Pono and Opio. I would like to get your opinions to help me to make final decision.

I live in Beijing, China. It's very difficult to find a local shop to experience my desired Ukuleles. I have to buy online, either from China dealers or internationally.

My requirements

1. Budget: Up to $1000, not including any shipping fee or tax.
2. My level: Beginner. I'm currently using a cheap low quality Ukulele and I can't bear the quality :).
3. Ukulele style: Low G, Tenor, all solid wood.
4. Tone style: Warm, full, deep, the more it's like the classical guitar, the better (this is not a must). I like classical guitar style much more than Hawaii style.
5. Tone wood: According to my preferred tone style, I think Acacia and Mahogany are better than others?
6. Playing style: Only fingerpicking, no strum. And I play Ukulele as if it's a classical guitar (though I didn't and will not play a classical guitar).

The candidates

My most preferred candidates are Opio KTO-10 and Pono ATD (or other Pono models). They are available from China dealers. I also considered The Rebel and Kanile'a Oha but I have to purchase them from either the US or Thailand (for The Rebel).

Pros and Cons of the candidates (not review, only the good/bad for me)

Opio KTO-10 (Acacia)

Pros:
I like the sound better. But maybe because the pre-built Low G string.
Wider nut and A to G space.

Cons:
It's not good sales in China. Very few dealers have it in stock, and they may have only 1 or 2 in stock so I'm not sure if I have the good luck to not to take a flawed one.
It costs 25% (the price from China dealers) more than Pono ATD. I'm not quite sensible with the price as long as it worth the price. But I will be happy if I can save money :)

Pono ATD (or MTD, or Pro Classic, or other models)

Pros:
Flashy looking (though I don't like the gloss finish).
It's pretty popular in China, it has good sales.
A lot of people say good to it.

Cons:
Narrow nut and A to G space. And thicker neck. But I think those parameters are similar to my current cheap Ukulele, so I may not have trouble with it.
The sound is less attractive to me, but I believe it will be better after using Low G string.
I would insert a question here, what the tone difference between the models? I read that Deluxe has much better tone than standard model (non-Deluxe), and Pro Classic is not much better than Deluxe, is that true? I prefer satin finish more than the gloss one in Deluxe models, but if the gloss models have much better tone than satin, I will go with gloss. To me, sound is more important than looking.

The Rebel and Kanile'a Oha. The biggest disadvantage is they are not available in China, I have to buy it from either HMS, or Mim, or Baan (for The Rebel). To my surprise, I've sent emails to those three shops, no one response, no one. I also don't like The Rebel has thin/slim body, and the model naming is super confusing. And if I buy from other country, it's almost impossible to have any custom service.

My biggest difficulty is that I can't see or play the Ukuleles. If I can do so, I will make the deal immediately. Also for the value under $1000, it's not worth that I travel for 2000 kilometer to the deals shop.

I hope you can give your opinions and help me to make final decision. I can't wait to meet my new Ukulele!

Thanks

Last edited:
I am also a beginner player that wanted to get a better uke than the one I first got, and I struggled with the exact same choice between the Opio and Pono tenors. Because I also wanted to get a decent soprano, I saved the $200 difference and went with the Pono ATD. I got it with a Low-G setup and I am extremely happy with it. I never had a chance to play either ukulele before making my purchase and had to rely on on-line videos. It came perfectly setup by HMS.

As a beginner player, I don’t know enough to say if it will meet your playing style. In terms of budget, I was able to get the Pono and a Koaloha Opio KSO-10 soprano, with a case for the tenor and some humidifiers for just over $1,000 US delivered. Prices are probably different for you, but had I purchased the Opio tenor, I would have had to make a big compromise for my soprano to stay in my budget.

In the end, I don’t think you can go wrong with either choice.

In the end, I don’t think you can go wrong with either choice.

That's true and that's the difficulty to decide. :D
I may only have one between the two, not both. If I buy another Ukulele in the future, most likely I will buy an upgraded one, not one at the same level.

Clearly you've been thinking about these things quite a bit which is good. As mentioned, you can be happy that you'll get a decent uke whichever you choose.

A few points about your options. KoAlohas, including the Opios, are generally regarded as quite loud and bright sounding, although since you're planning to string it with low G I doubt the sound will be too bright even if you're specifically looking for a warmer sounding uke. In fact, if you already like the sound after listening to sound samples then I doubt you'd be disappointed in the sound. Ponos, on the other hand, are regarded as sounding slightly quieter and more subtle, although that's often at least partially because of the strings. They come with nylon strings which aren't as loud as the fluorocarbon strings on the KoAlohas, so string choice can affect the sound quite a bit. It works the other way around as well. If you think the fluorocarbon strings on the KoAloha sound too bright you can try nylon strings to mellow out the tone.

Regarding the Pono standard and deluxe models, I don't know where you've heard that the deluxe models sound better but I'd argue they don't. The difference is strictly the gloss finish and the nicer looking wood on the deluxe models but otherwise the construction is similar. The gloss finish actually makes the tone a little bit brighter so I think you would probably prefer the standard model with the satin finish. At least in my opinion, there's no reason to go for the deluxe model specifically. That being said, for about the same amount of money, I think the KoAloha Opio is a more interesting uke. Not necessarily better but I feel you get more for your money. The build quality for both is excellent for the money however. If you'd prefer a more traditional style of uke then the Pono might be the way to go.

The Rebel ukes are actually made by the same people/factory as the Opio models. They are usually a bit more expensive but very nice ukes nonetheless. The quality is probably on par with the Opios in that regard so I don't really see a reason for getting a Rebel over an Opio unless you prefer the tone woods or the looks on the Rebels. Playability-wise they are almost identical.

I believe the Kanile'a Oha model is quite significantly more expensive than the other ones you mentioned. If you're aim is to save some money in any way then I think you're better off with the other options. And don't get me wrong, Kanile'as typically have a very rich and deep sound to them and it's one of my favourite uke brands, but I simply think that the price increase doesn't give you that much more quality or depth in terms of tone.

Thanks Dohle for the detailed reply.
About the sound of Opio. Seems it's agreed that it's louder and brighter. I liked it in the video may be because of the different strings it used, such as Low G on it and High G on Pono.
It's said Pono has lower volume, which is something I really like to have, so I won't disturb the neighbors.

For the sound of the Pono standard and deluxe models, I got that conclusion from my Googling, most from past posting on UU if I remember correctly.
If the standard has the same sound with the deluxe, I will definitely go with the standard because I like the satin finish and I don't like the flashy looking on deluxe.
Do all the models (standard, deluxe, and pro classic) have the same sound characters, such as the same sustain?

I learned a lesson for that. A salesman of China Pono dealer said in his public video, that deluxe has much better sound than the standard, and pro classic has much much better sound that the deluxe, and the slotted headstock can make the sound even better. (for anyone seeing this sentence, don't believe it!). They are just lying to push the more expensive models.

Kanile'a Oha-T model on HMS is about $1000, much more expensive than Pono and Opio, only a little more expensive than The Rebel.

Last edited:
Trying to decide which one to buy if you have never played them is like deciding if you like beef or pork better but have never eaten them.

But you have made a guitar reference a few times which is very telling. If you were to go back and read the 100s of comments on Pono tenors most people say it is guitar like in sound. I have a lot of experience with Pono, but always with a soft wood top and hardwood back and sides. This is what really gives a ukulele a guitar like sound. Just think of every classical guitar you have heard or seen, top is either spruce or cedar, back is rosewood or mahogany.

I love and have owned Koaloha as well, great instruments with a big sound. If you are going to buy on line do it from HMS, especially for Pono.

I forgot to mention the Pro Classic models. I haven't played them myself but my assumption was that the increase in price comes mostly from some of the extra features like the slotted headstock and radiused fretboard and obviously from the more flashy looks. They tend to come with a hard case as well which also increases the price. Of course, generally speaking the more expensive the instrument is the more care and attention it has received at the factory but personally I regard all Pono ukes to be very uniform in terms of quality. I seriously doubt anyone could tell the difference in sound between the three different types of models in a blind test, other than the fact that the ones with a gloss finish do sound a tad brighter. Of course, if you prefer a brighter sound then a gloss finished Pono does sound much better to you but in your case it seems to be the opposite.

Regarding the slotted headstock, it's true that it's not just simply for looks. Often the break angle for the strings on a slotted headstock is steeper which results in a slight increase in string tension, but to claim that it has a massive effect on tone quality is just plain silly.

Just going from your pros and cons, seems like the Opio has better sound and looks that you like. And, it's solid acacia, which would be my preference. I don't like the thick, heavy neck of Pono.

For the sound you desire I think that a mahogany style uke would be better much better suited than an acacia. And the Pono specs actually show genuine mahogany and not some African variety. Also note that Pono uses Acacia preta otherwise known as Monkeypod whereas most other uke brands use Acacia confusa which is a weed. Though Pono has generally most impressive specs I found the few that I had a chance to play in stores were a bit subdued and not as loud as some other ukes, but that was mainly with vigorous strumming.

For the sound you desire I think that a mahogany style uke would be better much better suited than an acacia. And the Pono specs actually show genuine mahogany and not some African variety. Also note that Pono uses Acacia preta otherwise known as Monkeypod whereas most other uke brands use Acacia confusa which is a weed. Though Pono has generally most impressive specs I found the few that I had a chance to play in stores were a bit subdued and not as loud as some other ukes, but that was mainly with vigorous strumming.

Interesting. I usually assume that around this $500 price point most mahogany ukes are made out of African Mahogany, i.e., Khaya. Does Pono actually specify that their mahogany ukes are made out of something else? Genuine mahogany would point to either Cuban or Honduran Mahogany. I'd be a bit surprised, although pleasantly so, if Pono actually used either of those.

Also, that point about the Acacia Pono uses definitely explains why their ukes look so different to most other Acacia ukes. Fascinating. Also explains why they sound a tad different. To me, Pono Acacia ukes sound slightly brighter than those made out of that different acacia.

Interesting. I usually assume that around this $500 price point most mahogany ukes are made out of African Mahogany, i.e., Khaya. Does Pono actually specify that their mahogany ukes are made out of something else? Genuine mahogany would point to either Cuban or Honduran Mahogany. I'd be a bit surprised, although pleasantly so, if Pono actually used either of those.

Also, that point about the Acacia Pono uses definitely explains why their ukes look so different to most other Acacia ukes. Fascinating. Also explains why they sound a tad different. To me, Pono Acacia ukes sound slightly brighter than those made out of that different acacia.

Yes they say it's the same species that used to grow on Cuba but they get it from plantations in Indonesia. The FAQ section on the Pono website is more informative than what most other brands are willing to show.

I own 3 Ponos and 1 opio and 1 UkeSA both made fm the Thai factory. Personally I think the Pono has a slight edge in terms of build quality and finish. The opio I have had some residue glue marks over some parts of the fretboard edges. The joining of the sides to the back on the body does not sit perfectly flush. When you run your fingers along the sides of the uke you can feel the protruding wood. All my ukes are kept in a controlled cupboard at 55% humidity and when it is out being played humidity is in the 80-90% range. So wood shrinkage can be ruled out. Doesn’t affect Playing or sound. Just the finish isnt as good. The UkeSA that I have had intonation issues on the C string. It was playing sharp fm 10-25 cents up the whole fretboard.
The 3 ponos intonate perfectly. Can’t complain about the finish. My only dislike is I find the corners of the body edge very sharp. I wish they rounded the edges a little. I get marks on my body and arm after playing them. Mine are a few years old so I am not sure if the have changed their design. They should. It gets painful if you play for long.
You can setup you Pono for very Low action but on the opio it’s not possible due to the bridge design. So your playing preference might dictate your choice too.
If you contact Baan ukulele thru Facebook messenger he will reply you. I bought my opio directly from them. He took quite a lot of pictures for me to choose which one I like. If you are in China you need some VPN otherwise messenger won’t work. If you can’t find a VPN try some international hotel wifi network. Some of them are running on VPN for foreigners. The ones I stay when I go to China for work has them. Network is slow but at least all the Google/Facebook stuff works.

I forgot to mention if your budget is around the 1k Mark you should consider Romero Creations. The finish is immaculate. Absolutely faultless. But it’s high gloss which is not your preferred choice. I also find that the sustain is much better going up the fretboard compared to the Pono or Opio. I recently acquired the Baritone B6 and am so impressed by it that I am considering getting a tenor. I think it is the most under the radar brand out there right now. Finish, playability, sustain is as good if not better than the 3 Hawaiian K Brands. But that’s my opinion of course. Yours might differ.

Hi Wqking,

My Ponos are older models, so factor that in with my impressions:

Ponos, to me, have more of a classical guitar sound to them than an Opio. All sound great with either a Low-G or High-g. Some players like a wound C-string.

The base level Pono tenors have the satin finish. I have an MGT mango with satin finish. I bought it over the deluxe or the Pro models because I thought the sound was more open and had a bit more resonance.

There is also an MGTP pineapple satin version that has a bigger, slightly deeper sound. The one I bought had some neck issues and I sent it back.

The ATD Acacia Deluxe was my first "quality" uke. The current ones have a satin neck which is great.

Pono has an ATD-SP that is a spruce toped acacia tenor. It has a radiused fretboard as well. But it’s cheaper than a Pro Classic. The spruce adds a crispness to the notes. And adds projection. The 12” radius makes barre chords a little easier. This is an almost PC.

One of the nicest Ponos is the Spruce/Mahogany Pro Classic Cutaway MTC(S)-PC. The biggest difference is the grain of the woods and the added binding. Guitar-like sound. Especially with fluorocarbon and/or wound strings. They also offer a cedar topped model that is slightly less bright than the spruce version.

You pay extra for the slotted head and the cutaway options. The cutaway helps if you play up the neck. I don’t particularly care for the Pono slotted, because it adds to the thickness of the neck near the head. But they do look cool.

One of my favorite tenors is a Pono Spruce/Rosewood cutaway RTC(S)-PC. Paddle headstock. (No longer offered.) The cedar/ebony version is very close.

All of these are at theukulelesite.com with sound samples and full descriptions. Being aware that the players make a stick with a rubber band string sound great.

The Ko’Aloha Opio ukes are very similar to the Ko’Aloha. I have an Opio Spruce/Acacia tenor. The finish is a satin but is not as smooth as the Ko’Alohas. The neck shape and build design is similar to the costlier Ko’Alohas. The sound on mine is brighter, but also boxier than my Ko’Aloha. The necks are identical. And the bodies have rounded edges which makes them very comfortable to play. Most people, including myself, really like the shape of the neck. It’s very comfortable and easy to play.

You might look into aNueNue instruments. They are very well built. Light and have a great sound. I don’t know if there are any problems with it being a Taiwanese company for importing to you in Mainland China.

Hope this helps. Best of luck with your search

Yes they say it's the same species that used to grow on Cuba but they get it from plantations in Indonesia. The FAQ section on the Pono website is more informative than what most other brands are willing to show.

I had a look at the FAQ. What a plethora of information, fantastic. The more I learn of them the more I'm actually starting to like Pono (or Ko'olau, I suppose) as a company. I recently learned that they were supposedly the first company to start using mango as a tonewood for ukes. Their instruments are quite traditional and probably not that interesting to some but I've certainly become a fan. Now that I think about it, Pono is only one of two brands whose ukes I have more than one of, the other one being Kanile'a.

Last edited:
I'm a beginner also so take my thoughts with that in mind. I have an Opio KTO-10S and it's a stand-out ukulele - I think the same can be said for pretty much all Ko'alohas. It's loud - noticeably louder than any other uke I have which actually makes it easier to be more expressive. You can play quietly with ease but also get louder if you want without manhandling the instrument. I think this has a lot to do with the construction technique which is different from the classical way of building. So I would not just put the sound that you like to the low G - I think the way these are constructed makes a big impact.

Thanks for the information on the wood. I originally thought Mahogany is better but after chatting with a dealer I thought Acacia is better. I think my original thought is correct.

Thank you again for the FAQ reference. I only read the section of models before, after reading other sections, I have more love in Pono.

You can setup you Pono for very Low action but on the opio it’s not possible due to the bridge design.

Thanks. That's good to know.

Hi Wqking,

Ponos, to me, have more of a classical guitar sound to them than an Opio. All sound great with either a Low-G or High-g. Some players like a wound C-string.

You might look into aNueNue instruments. They are very well built. Light and have a great sound. I don’t know if there are any problems with it being a Taiwanese company for importing to you in Mainland China.

Thanks. You add one more vote for that Pono has more classical guitar sound than others, that's good to me.
aNueNue is pretty popular in China mainland. For now I prefer 4K based products, especially if they are quality controlled by the U.S. The only exception in my candidates list is The Rebel, but it's from the same factory of Opio. Any way, my most preferred candidates are Pono and Opio, so we may forget The Rebel for now.

Thanks all for the helpful advice. I had expected I may get a lot of conflicted advice and I may be lost more, but clearly that didn't happen. All of you gave me so much valuable and helpful information.
I've made the final decision to go with Pono MT, all solid mahogany tenor.
I've placed an order with China Pono dealer. The dealer will do proper setup and restring it with Low G.
I believe the price is more than $100 higher than the U.S, but considering the shipping cost and import tax, it's fair price.

It will arrive in next week. I will definitely do an update on how I feel on it after receiving it.

If others have any more advice, you may still comment in this thread, that will help others who's under the similar situation. Before starting this thread, I've read quite some similar threads on UU forum which helped me to nail down the candidate list.

Thanks all again. I can't wait to see my new Ukulele!

I had posted last night, but my post had gotten truncated and I was too tired to rewrite it. So my advice comes late, and congrats on the Pono. I have several Ponos, including the lovely looking acacia PC with a cutaway that is my profile photo, and I like them very much. They are well made for the price. Having said that, my Rebel is my favorite uke and I would highly recommend a Rebel for quality of build, playability, and sound. It is a step above the Opio, and very close to my Hawaiians in build. I would have also recommended the AnueNue, because their reputation is for quality and have a sound that is very classical guitar-like. They make an all mahogany model that you may have liked, but I have a Moonbird on my radar myself. I'm sure you will like your Pono . Enjoy.

I had posted last night, but my post had gotten truncated and I was too tired to rewrite it. So my advice comes late, and congrats on the Pono. I have several Ponos, including the lovely looking acacia PC with a cutaway that is my profile photo, and I like them very much. They are well made for the price. Having said that, my Rebel is my favorite uke and I would highly recommend a Rebel for quality of build, playability, and sound. It is a step above the Opio, and very close to my Hawaiians in build. I would have also recommended the AnueNue, because their reputation is for quality and have a sound that is very classical guitar-like. They make an all mahogany model that you may have liked, but I have a Moonbird on my radar myself. I'm sure you will like your Pono . Enjoy.

To be fair, I would've recommended the aNueNue AMM3 African Mahogany tenor or the newer koa model AKK3 but at least the mahogany model is surprisingly bright in tone. I assume the koa model is even brighter. I believe the Pono suits the OP much better. The more expensive Bird models would of course be excellent choices but they'd be beyond budget.

Top Bottom