Hi from New Zealand

taitonga

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Greetings from NZ's South Island. I just started learning to play ukulele a month ago. I'm using a second-hand tenor, low-G uke with the idea of learning fingerpicking. Looking forward to the coming years learning.

Cheers!

Welcome taitonga and a big hello from Chicago, USA!

Welcome to UU, taitonga!
Though they do not give you the traditional ukulele sound, low G tenor is one of my favourite tuning/scale combination. There are also fabulous arrangements for high G ukes. So who knows, you might want to adopt another instrument later on.

Hi taitonga, welcome to the UU Forum!

I play tenors and enjoy both Low-G linear tuned and High-g Re-entrant tuned ukes. I am learning finger style playing. There seems to be a lot more TABs for High-g playing. But both exist. It's a lot of fun to learn.

Congrats on your tenor uke. Most of my ukes are second hand.

Welcome to UU. I hope to visit NZ one day. My parents, siblings, wife and daughter have all had the opportunity. Hopefully you can fine other, local ukulele players to play with and learn from.

Thanks! I noticed the difference in availability, but I just like the low-G sound much more, at least for fingerpicking. Learning slowly, but surely.

I think the low G is far superior when finger picking. It seems a shame to pick on the high G and get something so close to the A string. Your only getting 2 additional notes from that entire string. At least with the low G, I get the A an octave lower, and that sounds great. The high G reentrant tuning is perfect for the standard or traditional ukulele sound, but the low G adds so much imho.
Welcome to UU.

Top Bottom