Simple question from a simple person.

coconutjoe

Reaction score
:confused:Hi Everyone. Hope is all well with you. I've gone through trying to find a simple answer to a simple question for a less than a simple-minded person. Here it is: I like the feel and size of a Concert Uke but I currently play Aquila 31U 5ths tuning and it's simply too low. Can I use the Aquila 30 U Sopranos set tuned exactly like a mandolin G D A E on a Concert ; Or will the little added length of the Concert be too much tension and simply break the strings? Please excuse my embarrassing ignorance. Thank you very much for your anticipated help.:D
Joe (with a coconut for a brain)::p

ps - I had to edit spelling 3 times, how embarrassing.

Last edited:
That is a good question. I also have that set up and don't like it. The wound strings are too floppy and sound is terrible. Also, the wound strings have discolored even though I only played two or three times. So I am looking forward to answers.

Hmm, I don't have direct experience with those sets but I'd be concerned about the high E string in particular. You might want to stop at FCGD and see how it feels

I'm no expert, but... if you want to tune to GDAE, and standard tuning is GCEA... you'd benefit from rearranging some strings.

You've got a G, E and A string, just switch the A and E strings. Now, you've got one string, the C string that you're wanting to tune up to D. People do that all the time. Try it. If you find the tension to be too much on the amped-up C-string, then you need a thinner string.

Soprano strings are often a little thinner than Concert/Tenor strings.

This could be helpful, it's a recent thread with a list of string tensions for various strings.

People that want fifths tuning generally want a linear tuning, but you're right that would give you the right chord shapes.

Top Bottom