Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite solid wood ukes made of classical guitar tone woods?

Default Favorite solid wood ukes made of classical guitar tone woods?

As a spinoff of another thread, I'm interested in getting folks' opinions on their favorite or more highly regarded ukuleles made of classical guitar tonewoods. I'm sort of / sort of not (well, yes) shopping for a tenor sized uke made of a light top wood and warmer dark wood back and sides - spruce /cedar and Indian rosewood in particular. The nicer instruments that come into mind are the aNueNue UT200 (spruce / rosewood), aNueNue UT214 (cedar / rosewood), Pono RTSH (cedar / rosewood), and a custom Kimo ukulele (made of similar woods). Thoughts on these and/or additional suggestions? ...Thanks!

I am just finishing up a custom tenor with an Alaska yellow cedar top and Indian rosewood back and sides. It is a new combination for me. I will be stringing it up tomorrow, prior to spraying it up. Will let you know what I think after it settles in for a couple of days.
    Brad
    Bradford Donaldson
    Kekaha, HI and Cannon Beach OR
    bradfordj48@outlook.com

To be honest, this sounds really boring. Why would you pay $2000 or more and get the same old same old?

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    To be honest, this sounds really boring. Why would you pay $2000 or more and get the same old same old?
    That is a very strange and inappropriate comment to make.

Why wouldn’t he pick something that he likes. I have experienced a pile of different ukes and my favourites have alway been a softwood top and hardwood back and sides. Sinker Redwood and curly walnut. Bear claw spruce and curly myrtle. Sitka spruce and Amazon rosewood. Yea I guess I am just boring
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    That is a very strange and inappropriate comment to make.

Why wouldn’t he pick something that he likes. I have experienced a pile of different ukes and my favourites have alway been a softwood top and hardwood back and sides. Sinker Redwood and curly walnut. Bear claw spruce and curly myrtle. Sitka spruce and Amazon rosewood. Yea I guess I am just boring
    Fair enough. I retract.

You've already mentioned one of my favorites, the Spruce-Rosewood aNueNue Moon Bird tenor. Another that I really like is my custom Jupiter tenor with Pennsylvania Sycamore back and sides (a hardwood) and salvaged Watertank Redwood top (a softwood). The softwood top and hardwood B&S is a classic combination for a good reason.
    Larry

KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    KALA SOLID FLAME MAPLE CONCERT
    JUPITER UKULELE TENOR #77, REDWOOD/SYCAMORE
    ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR" (LOW "G")
    ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR (LOW "G")
    OHANA BK-70M BARITONE

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    It is the combination used on many Petros and LFDMs. Hardly boring. More like classic, because it works so well.
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    KoAloha KTM-00 tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    Pono ATC-PC acacia cutaway tenor
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano

The AnueNue Moonbird would be one on my radar. BuzzBD, that uke sounds nice.
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    KoAloha KTM-00 tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    Pono ATC-PC acacia cutaway tenor
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

One thing I've tried to do is to get as many different variations in tone woods possible. I'll probably miss a few, but I recall having Mahogany, Spruce, Sinker Redwood, Maple, Eucalyptus, Rosewood, Ebony, Zebrawood, Zircote, Cedar, Mango, and Koa. These are in all combinations of tops, sides, and backs. I love the variety! Now for the boring part, I love the sound of plain old Mahogany and fancy Koa the best. I'm a sucker for a darker, richer sound, so the Mahogany suits me very well. But the Koa has a rich tone, with just a touch more brilliance to it, which probably gives it the edge on versatility. But, I find that each Uke has it's own voice. And I can even pick and choose according to my mood that day. Sometimes I'll pick up a Spruce top instrument, and give it up right away because I can't stand the brighter tone color. Or, vise versa, I may not want to wallow in the depths of those mellow Mahogany tones right at that time. It's nice to have the full range to choose from.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Spruce/cedar top and rosewood back and sides are a real winner combo but the sound is very distinct. I have a Moon Bird soprano which I love and I was looking for a Maestro concert with the same woods but the sound was simply too similar. I think the rosewood back and sides result in a very particular type of low-range tonality. Not universal of course but the ukes I've seen/heard with that wood combination definitely sound quite similar to each other.

Additionally, I have a Kanile'a SUS concert which has a cedar top and mahogany back and sides. Not sure if the cedar on it is somehow different but it sounds a lot more sparky than what I expected. It still has a nice warmth to it nonetheless, love it.

I've really began to like these more modern guitar-like tonewoods. They definitely lend themselves to a more dynamic play style. I'm currently looking for something that would be my ultimate concert uke. Something like spruce or cedar top and koa back and sides or something similar from a reputable brand or builder. Haven't been able to find one yet though.

Thread Information