Favorite solid wood ukes made of classical guitar tone woods?

Several years ago, Cocobolo Ukulele made a few ukuleles with Cocobolo back and sides and a Cedar top. I was fortunate to obtain a concert and it's a sonic gem. My only complaint about it is the very thin finish on the cedar top that dents and marks if you look sideways at it. But I can tolerate that for the tone.

51169523_2312110745739872_55327437994590208_n.jpg

Several years ago, Cocobolo Ukulele made a few ukuleles with Cocobolo back and sides and a Cedar top. I was fortunate to obtain a concert and it's a sonic gem. My only complaint about it is the very thin finish on the cedar top that dents and marks if you look sideways at it. But I can tolerate that for the tone.

View attachment 132725

Maestro make a concert and tenor with the same tonewoods. I've been really intrigues by those but I haven't found a proper sound sample in order to figure out how it sounds.

Sounds like a great family, Kenn2018! Thanks for your impressions on the several ukes you have; they are insightful. The Kinnard and Ono are both brands on my "someday" watch list, meaning I could see myself splurging on one when I'm finally at the point where I know exactly what I want.

...And thanks for the link, Joyful Uke. Yes, I've spent some quality time on that page already. Lots of eye candy and nice sound clips there.

Well this is a lot like being asked which one of your children you like best?

The same wood combinations sound different depending upon the maker. In no particular order are tenors I own or have owned with one of my favorite wood combinations. Spruce and Rosewood variations. Each one has family characteristics, yet quite unique sound.

Kinnard Series 2: Sitka Spruce/Indian Rosewood; Classical guitar sound, terrific projection, bright, yet sweet.

aNueNue Moonbird UT200: Swiss Moon Spruce/Indian Rosewood; Very light, a little boxy sounding, sustain that goes on forever.

Ono #28: Adirondack Spruce/Bolivian Rosewood; Light, open sound, great sustain and projection, complex sound.

Pono RTC(S)-PC: Engelmann Spruce/Indian Rosewood; Heavy, robust build, classical guitar like sound, nice sustain, very good projection

Last edited:
spruce tops sound guitarlike to me, which you might want in a tenor. I've always preferred sitka for guitars and mandolins - it seems to be brighter and more lively.

This isn't my wheelhouse, but Pepe Romero, Jr. immediately comes to mind as the perfect someone to check out. He's a classical guitar builder who has transitioned to building some ukes. They're fabulous.

Just as a follow up to my thread - I made a move for a new-to-me Pono RTSH. Another UU'er had one for a trade and the timing couldn't be better. This uke sounds good with Living Waters strings and sounds especially nice with a new set of low G Uke Logic strings.

The uke articulates clearly the higher pitched notes and yet the overall tone is warm. Compared to my KTM, the KTM has more overtones with each note played. I'm guessing the fact has to do with the Hawaiian koa? Bottom end sounds about the same between the two, which is a little surprising since this Pono body is quite deep dish!

Attachments

• rtsh.jpg
    rtsh.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I like the sound of Uke Logic strings a lot. My observation is that they seem to become louder after they break in a bit. As you observed, the KTM does have more overtones, being koa. I also put the Uke Logics on my Kanile'a.

Good to know, thanks. The lower volume really is all I have to complain about if anything. I liked them enough that I immediately cut the strings trim and proper to keep on the uke for some time.

I like the sound of Uke Logic strings a lot. My observation is that they seem to become louder after they break in a bit. As you observed, the KTM does have more overtones, being koa. I also put the Uke Logics on my Kanile'a.

Cadia, how do you do that "signature" like you have on your posts where you list your ukes? I looked all over the profile section and I can't figure it out.

Cadia, how do you do that "signature" like you have on your posts where you list your ukes? I looked all over the profile section and I can't figure it out.

Go up to top right and click on settings. Then, on your left side, under My Settings, you'll see where you can edit a signature. :)

Last edited:
LOL thanks. No wonder I couldn't find it.

Top Bottom