Dumping Weight

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I got a good look at myself in the bathroom mirror last Wednesday. I guess I've been sort of looking the other way. Well, I was shocked, and frankly, embarrassed. I looked like a balloon! A balloon with arms and legs. I really had an ego crash, bottomed right out. I resolved to do something about it, starting right then. Of course, it was after breakfast, so that made the decision somewhat easier. :rolleyes:

I'm determined to trim down. I'm a 6 foot tall man, and at my age, 75, shouldn't weigh more than 200 lbs, less if I can get there. I remember weighing something like 185 in my 20s.

So, I immediately went on a fast. I haven't eaten anything since Wednesday morning. I'm doing OK so far, and think I will extend the fast through tomorrow. If I can go without eating until midday Sunday, that will have given me 100+ hours of fasting, which should be enough. The purpose of the fast is to shrink the stomach, so that less food will be filling, and to kick start a new nutritional regimen.

I intend to do this the easy, sensible way. I'm going to eat small, well balanced meals. Two a day to start with. I'll use Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine frozen meals which are readily available at the market, and also canned soups like beef barley, and chicken noodle. I'll limit myself to one item per meal, without bread or other add ons. I'll have a wide variety to choose from, and will be able to keep the calories down where I want them.

I just weighed in at 230 lbs. I'll keep y'all posted on my progress. I appreciate having this forum to use like this. It makes my sense of commitment stronger. I have my plan, but feel free to chime in with encouragement, derision, or whatever suggestions you want to put forward. It's just good to know y'all are out there.

Last edited:
Many are probably in the same boat these days. There is the freshman fifteen that is often associated with new students first at college, the Ben ten which is for those working as testers and flavor developers at Ben and Jerry's. These days people talk about the "Covid 19", due to less activity and increased eating and drinking.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Best of luck. I've been bicycling about 70 miles in the past week (on a beach cruiser!) after catching a glimpse in my own mirror.

Maybe a Stan Laurel avatar would help?:)

Maybe a Stan Laurel avatar would help?:)

LOL, ha, ha, ha! In fact, have you noticed that most notable Ukulele players are/were quite trim. The notable exception being IZ, of course. For the Stan Laurel avatar I either need better photoshop skills, or a photo of him with a Uke. I'll start looking. I actually like the suggestion!

Losing/managing weight is simple math. It's not always easy to ACHIEVE, but it's simple math. Calories in, calories out.

So, you're on the right track. Sensible eating. You don't have to starve yourself, you just have to figure out what your base caloric requirement is, and while you're trying to lose weight, consistently stay a few hundred calories below that every day.

You can manage the calorie equation on both sides. Less calories in (eat less, or "lighter") and/or more calories out (exercise more, or harder).

Interestingly, my wife and I both lost 20 or so pounds maybe 3-4 years ago, and have managed to keep it off. We did it in COMPLETELY different ways! She's taken up walking. She walks mostly on a treadmill (but she'll walk around the hood, or go to a park if the weather is nice), and she does between 12,000 and 18,000 steps a day. I think that's something like 5-7 miles. She walks A LOT. But, that allows her to not give up things she likes... pasta, bread, chocolate, ice cream, etc. It works for her. She'd be SUPER fit if she'd improve her diet, but she's in a comfortable place. Stable and happy.

I hate exercise. I went a different route. I knocked off nearly 30 pounds by doing the "Keto" diet (which is pretty much the same as the old "Atkins" diet). I slacked off and gained 5 of it back. But, where it took me until 185 pounds to take action before... now, I take action when I see my weight ticking up towards 170. (I'd like to be at 155... but, I'm just too lazy)

Keto, if you're the kind of person who LIKES eating meats and cheese and high-fat stuff, absolutely works! The premise is that you cut out almost all carbs. They say to keep it down to like 20-30 grams of carbs per day, but I got away with keeping it under 50, and called it "lazy keto". If your primary source of calories is fat, your body gets into a mode called "ketosis" where it's burning FAT rather than burning CARBS. (carbs are easier to process, so the body prefers that if it's available) You'll lose 5 pounds almost immediately, that's just water weight. But, if you keep at it... mostly fat calories... AND you keep your calorie intake below what you need... because your body is in "ketosis", when it has a shortage of calories, it will burn body fat. Oh, yes it will! It's pretty amazing how well it works.

Once most of your "subcutaneous fat" (under the skin) is gone, it will start burning the "visceral fat" (around your organs). All you have to do is avoid carbs, eat high-fat stuff, and be sure to keep your calorie intake in check. I used an app called Carb Manager to help for the first month or two. Once I learned what to eat and how much, I quit tracking it.

I gave up keto back in July when my wife and I decided to go vegetarian. Keto + Vegetarian is possible, but it's a lot harder to do! So, I gave up the keto and just try to eat less, and avoid mass carbs as much as possible. So far, so good. I'm fairly stable +/- 3 pounds or so from 165. Not bad for as inactive as I am. (and I'm 5'9 and 53 years old)

Good luck! Remember, there are no cookie-cutter methods that work for everyone. You have to find what works for YOU, and that you can personally sustain.

Losing/managing weight is simple math. It's not always easy to ACHIEVE, but it's simple math. Calories in, calories out.

You're exactly right. I've known that for a long time. It's so simple, yet every year a new weight loss book appears on the bestseller list. I remember my Zumba instructor laughing one day. I asked her what was so amusing. She confided in me that one of her students had asked her, "What can I eat to lose weight?" The very idea of eating to lose weight struck her as funny. Yup, it's all calories. Nothing you put in your mouth is going to take any weight off your body. Thanks for the encouragement, and I will look into Keto as a weight control maintenance technique.

I lost over a stone (14lbs) a year ago, put on some pounds, (I blame Covid lock down), but will be trying to lose some more, once we are aloud out to play again. ;)

Where I live now, I can't cycle up the numerous big steep hills, so my fitness suffered, as I could only walk so far, but last year I bought a couple of big wheel scooters, & am looking forward to getting in some miles on them. It is as good as running fitness wise, without stressing your joints, & at my age, that is good news. :)

You're exactly right. I've known that for a long time. It's so simple, yet every year a new weight loss book appears on the bestseller list......Yup, it's all calories. Nothing you put in your mouth is going to take any weight off your body. Thanks for the encouragement, and I will look into Keto as a weight control maintenance technique.

The calories in vs calories burned is a key thing. Many studies have shown that all diet plans can work. One factor that makes imany successful is that the person becomes much more conscious of intake and makes modifications. Another important factor is finding an eating plan that works for you and your lifestyle. Long term changes are key as it is possible to lose and then go right back to old habits and ruin all the progress that you made. If you can continue to eat healthy it is much easier to maintain your weight. That is where most of us fail- drifting back to the old ways.

Being motivated, and having a plan are great first steps. Do keep an eye on your sodium intake though, as pre-packaged meals, boxed foods, and canned soups all tend to have rather high sodium content. It would be a shame to lose the weight and end up with high blood pressure. :) Best of luck reaching your goal!

There's no such thing as shrinking your stomach, fasting for so long is really bad for your body. Also, those processed pre-packaged foods are high in salt, which retains water, and artificial ingredients. Eat less well balanced calories and exercise more. My trouble is I have a heart condition that prevents me from exerting myself very much. I'm 71, now 5'9" and weigh 213 lbs, but should be no more than 175. Seems the only way I can get there is live on 1600 calories a day for the rest of my life, very tough to do.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I've not weighed myself this year, but after being diagnosed with diabetes last summer I lost six inches from my belt size. This is what worked for me.

1. Accepting that weighing and measuring wasn't going to work for me. It's not a healthy approach to eating. You are not a series of numbers.
2. Doing things to make me feel good about myself.
3. Lots of protein, not very much carbohydrate. That can still be a lot of food!
4. Realising I can't stick to anything that makes me miserable.
5. Moving a lot more.

So how is the weight loss coming? You described me 6' 105 kg ( Just looks better than 230 lbs) The fridge is right around the corner from the home office. Some people need smoke, I need something to usually carby. Feet are shot with arthritis so alot of exercise is out. Thanks for the inspiration. If I loose 30 lbs I can hold my lute a lele better as its bowl conflicts with my bowl.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 5
  • lute a lelee 2.jpg
    lute a lelee 2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0023.jpg
    DSCF0023.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Discover.jpg
    Discover.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 5
I recently read The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung, an MD who has done research on the subject of weight and weight loss. According to Dr. Fung, several statements made in this thread have been passed along over the years but it turns out that they are not true: "shrink the stomach," "fasting is harmful," and most surprising to me, "weight loss equals calories in vs calories out."

I found it to be a very interesting read and especially enjoyed hearing about how the so-called Food Pyramid came into being and how government nutritional guidelines were established.

I'm glad this post of mine got reupped. My 100 fast was a complete bust. Oh, I did it alright, but at the end of the 100 hours, my weight was exactly the same as when I started. Now, how is that even possible? Oh well, I kept trying, that is until I didn't. But about three weeks ago I decided to give it another shot. I'm currently keeping my calories to under 1200 a day, and losing weight at the rate of 1/2 a pound a day. I'm down to 224.2 as of yesterday. My goal weight is 200. So it looks like I have about 40 days to go. This is tough!

I'm glad this post of mine got reupped. My 100 fast was a complete bust. Oh, I did it alright, but at the end of the 100 hours, my weight was exactly the same as when I started. Now, how is that even possible? Oh well, I kept trying, that is until I didn't. But about three weeks ago I decided to give it another shot. I'm currently keeping my calories to under 1200 a day, and losing weight at the rate of 1/2 a pound a day. I'm down to 224.2 as of yesterday. My goal weight is 200. So it looks like I have about 40 days to go. This is tough!

Congratulations to you for sticking with it!

IIRC, Fung says something to the effect that on a fast (which he defines as no food, not a caloric reduction) at about day 2 or 3 one stops being hungry which of course makes it easier to stick with the fast. According to him the repetitive stimulation from reduced caloric intake is what fires up the hunger. I don't know if he is correct or not but he gives many anecdotes of folks that have successfully fasted for over a year.

I know what it is like to lose weight. I should say, counting calories really helps. And of course, diet and exercise.

I got a good look at myself in the bathroom mirror last Wednesday. I guess I've been sort of looking the other way. Well, I was shocked, and frankly, embarrassed. I looked like a balloon! A balloon with arms and legs. I really had an ego crash, bottomed right out. I resolved to do something about it, starting right then. Of course, it was after breakfast, so that made the decision somewhat easier. :rolleyes:

I'm determined to trim down. I'm a 6 foot tall man, and at my age, 75, shouldn't weigh more than 200 lbs, less if I can get there. I remember weighing something like 185 in my 20s.

So, I immediately went on a fast. I haven't eaten anything since Wednesday morning. I'm doing OK so far, and think I will extend the fast through tomorrow. If I can go without eating until midday Sunday, that will have given me 100+ hours of fasting, which should be enough. The purpose of the fast is to shrink the stomach, so that less food will be filling, and to kick start a new nutritional regimen.

I intend to do this the easy, sensible way. I'm going to eat small, well balanced meals. Two a day to start with. I'll use Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine frozen meals which are readily available at the market, and also canned soups like beef barley, and chicken noodle. I'll limit myself to one item per meal, without bread or other add ons. I'll have a wide variety to choose from, and will be able to keep the calories down where I want them.

I just weighed in at 230 lbs. I'll keep y'all posted on my progress. I appreciate having this forum to use like this. It makes my sense of commitment stronger. I have my plan, but feel free to chime in with encouragement, derision, or whatever suggestions you want to put forward. It's just good to know y'all are out there.
We're pretty much in the same boat. You have a few years on me (I'm 62) but I'm 6' and currently weigh about 232, down from 268 just before COVID hit. Oddly it was a video of me standing and playing the ukulele that got my attention and I felt shame and embarrassment at how huge I looked and how much I had let myself go. Supposedly my ideal weight is 185 but I have a very hard time imagining I'd ever reach that goal but it would be nice if I could get a lot closer to 200.

I'd highly recommend a free phone app called, "Lose It!". You decide a weight goal and reasonable time frame to meet that goal and the app will give you a daily calorie "budget" which will help you achieve that goal. You enter the calories of meals/snacks you consume during the day and it tracks it for you. It has a nice feature in that you can scan bar codes of the food to get the calories and a LOT of foods are already programmed into the app. Keeping track of daily calories really makes you conscious of what you put in your mouth. You quickly learn that such things as fast food, alcohol and mindless snacking quickly add up and are real calorie budget killers. One fast food meal can easily wipe out 3/4ths of your total daily allowance of calories! I haven't been very disciplined this year but I've managed to maintain a pretty steady weight gaining and losing the same 4 lbs or so, hovering around that 230 mark +/-. I need to get back in the game and start losing again!

I recently read The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung, an MD who has done research on the subject of weight and weight loss. According to Dr. Fung, several statements made in this thread have been passed along over the years but it turns out that they are not true: "shrink the stomach," "fasting is harmful," and most surprising to me, "weight loss equals calories in vs calories out."

I found it to be a very interesting read and especially enjoyed hearing about how the so-called Food Pyramid came into being and how government nutritional guidelines were established.
He has a lot of videos on YouTube.

Reactions: tm3
I once ate nothing but raw vegetables for 2 weeks. 3 meals a day, 1 lb of raw veggies per meal. It was extremely difficult, but I must admit I felt excellent. No burping, etc. I guess I would technically recommend trying that out when you return from your fast, despite it not being easy. Frankly I find fasting easier lol I'm not a raw veg guy. After a while its mostly about just chewing the vegetables as much as you can and then swallowing them like pills with water. As far as your fast, there isnt any danger in a 100 hr fast, at least in my experiences. I am 34, but have done fasts of that length several times. That being said, everyone is different. During a fast, the body consumes fat and other waste products that dont get eliminated in the.... usual... ahem.... "means"... before going after the things it actually needs. It will be very clear to you when your body begins to consume something vital, but youd have to fast much much longer than 100hrs for that.

So how is the weight loss coming? You described me 6' 105 kg ( Just looks better than 230 lbs) The fridge is right around the corner from the home office. Some people need smoke, I need something to usually carby. Feet are shot with arthritis so alot of exercise is out. Thanks for the inspiration. If I loose 30 lbs I can hold my lute a lele better as its bowl conflicts with my bowl.
Beautiful axe

Top Bottom