Dumping Weight

I’m down to 115 now. The holidays are going to throw a monkey wrench into works, but I intend to redouble my effort come the first of the year.
Going to assume you have not lost 115 lbs lol. Congrats on the loss.

Covid certainly didn’t help me, but since having surgery and having to be lazy to heal, I’ve gotten as big as I’ve ever been.

But in a couple weeks I’ll be cleared by the doc to start easing back into working out and I’ll try to get my wife onboard with tracking calories. I use an app called Lose It where you can eat whatever you want and it tracks the calories for you. You’ve got a daily limit based on how much you want to lose (and how fast) and, after about a month or two, it settles into routine and stops irritating you at night when you don’t have anymore calories and really want ice cream. ;-)

As someone who is as skinny at 60 as I was at 30, and very nearly as I was at 15, my advice is to walk at least a mile every morning before you eat. My routine is that I drink about 20oz. of water when I first wake up, then I walk my dog (canines are highly recommended for walking motivation) for at least a mile. Then it's home to coffee and breakfast.

My two cents. Good luck!

As someone who is as skinny at 60 as I was at 30, and very nearly as I was at 15, my advice is to walk at least a mile every morning before you eat. My routine is that I drink about 20oz. of water when I first wake up, then I walk my dog (canines are highly recommended for walking motivation) for at least a mile. Then it's home to coffee and breakfast.

My two cents. Good luck!
I wish it were that easy! You must be gifted with a great metabolism and/or eat well. I think the common thought on weight loss or maintaining a healthy weight is that 70-80% is due to what you do/don't eat and 20-30% is from activity/exercise. My doctor said as much at my last physical. He'd probably be more of an 85-90% food vs. 10-15% activity guy.

I’m lucky in not being particularly overweight and in, I believe, reasonable health. However I am heavier than I once was and my BMI (body mass index) isn’t near as good as it should be - for those that might find it helpful the UK’s NHS has an on-line BMI calculator. Over the last few years I’ve been casually watching my weight, watching what I eat and watching how much daily exercise I’m taking - nothing OTT and nothing too ridged, just steadily doing what I can to improve matters.

What’s the result of all that ‘watching’? There’s been some hiccups and Covid restrictions certainly haven’t helped but over a few years I’ve both lost about two stone (about 28lb) and remained happy - less fat but still happy. I haven’t found any easy fixes but I now eat off of smaller plates than I used to (so some smaller portions) and I now walk several miles each day. So some lifestyle changes and adjustments that are now working out: near enough half of my weight loss has been in the last eight months.

Mrs Greenbag and I still like (and eat) biscuits, chocolate and crisps but we limit what we buy each week, we don’t automatically consume all of this week’s rations - normally much of it is still there at the end of the week - and when they’re gone they’re not replaced ‘till the next weekly shop. So what we maintain in the cupboard is a generous weekly limit rather than a consumption target. For us it’s all been about exercise, looking at what we’re eating, moderation and trends; it has worked for us but YMMV.

Last edited:
My doctor's advice was simple. He said if you are consuming more calories than you are burning, you will be overweight. If you consume less than you burn, you will lose weight.

It's easy, isn't it?-------------NO!

I’m down to 215 now. The holidays are going to throw a monkey wrench into works, but I intend to redouble my effort come the first of the year.
Congratulations! It may not be your final weight, but most charts no longer put you in the "obese" category!

Look into the 1:1 diet. Besides weightloss it gives a lot of other benefits. It's a totally legit diet, scientifically based. There are no plans or powders, you must buy.
Fast 1 day, eat 1 day. Normally you can't/won't eat double as much on the eat day, so on average you take in less calories. It is psychologically much easier, not to eat at all 1 day, than to restrict your calories intake every day.

I intend to do this the easy, sensible way. I'm going to eat small, well balanced meals. Two a day to start with. I'll use Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine frozen meals which are readily available at the market, and also canned soups like beef barley, and chicken noodle. I'll limit myself to one item per meal, without bread or other add ons. I'll have a wide variety to choose from, and will be able to keep the calories down where I want them.

You are not going to lose weight doing what you've outlined. You might even damage your health; canned soup = lots of sodium and fat. Froze food = lacking in vitamins. You need a life style change to lose weight, and life style is changed slowly. The easiest way to lose weight is to just join a gym and get a good personal trainer; a good trainer will realize that life style change is slow and will start you off easy.

Look into the 1:1 diet. Besides weightloss it gives a lot of other benefits. It's a totally legit diet, scientifically based. There are no plans or powders, you must buy.
Fast 1 day, eat 1 day. Normally you can't/won't eat double as much on the eat day, so on average you take in less calories. It is psychologically much easier, not to eat at all 1 day, than to restrict your calories intake every day.

Weight is just calories in vs calories out. That's definitely scienticially proven.

Also, weight by itself isn't the best indicator of health; it's overall body fitness like BMI, max HR, which translates into strength and endurance.
Some workouts are better than others. For example, weight training is good in the above but also has the benefites of brief duration and a residual calorie-burning ability. Types of training helps too like interval training and the appropriaate intensity level. A good personal trainer can do all this for you; and you can get measurable results.

Weight is just calories in vs calories out. That's definitely scienticially proven.

Also, weight by itself isn't the best indicator of health; it's overall body fitness like BMI, max HR, which translates into strength and endurance.
Some workouts are better than others. For example, weight training is good in the above but also has the benefites of brief duration and a residual calorie-burning ability. Types of training helps too like interval training and the appropriaate intensity level. A good personal trainer can do all this for you; and you can get measurable results.
This makes logical sense and yet only this last year despite eating the same, exercising the same, I finally managed to pile on 15lbs...

(I know most people want to lose not gain...but I always wanted that roided Vasquez from Aliens look)

This makes logical sense and yet only this last year despite eating the same, exercising the same, I finally managed to pile on 15lbs...

(I know most people want to lose not gain...but I always wanted that roided Vasquez from Aliens look)

Muscle is denser than fat. So, if you exercise and eat more than you burn, then you can actually go down in size while gaining weight. And you'll likely be healthier too. However, it you just train while watching your calories, you can also lose weight while remaining healthy. The food you eat can help make the transitions faster; watch what you eat and put the good stuff into yourself.

Many people want to lose weight but go about it wrong, so their results are temporary, lasting maybe a year or so at longest. Besides, weight isn't the only indicator of health. For those people, working with a good personal trainer can be an eye opener.

Muscle is denser than fat. So, if you exercise and eat more than you burn, then you can actually go down in size while gaining weight. And you'll likely be healthier too. However, it you just train while watching your calories, you can also lose weight while remaining healthy. The food you eat can help make the transitions faster; watch what you eat and put the good stuff into yourself.

Many people want to lose weight but go about it wrong, so their results are temporary, lasting maybe a year or so at longest. Besides, weight isn't the only indicator of health. For those people, working with a good personal trainer can be an eye opener.
I was never actually medically underweight, but I always wanted the roided tank aesthetic.

I was 5'5 120 most of my life, which is quite normal, but I always yearned for some extra muscle. I'm about 135 now. I hit age 31 and just piled it on rapid fire over a few months. I'd love another 10lbs but I don't think the female endocrine system works that way.

Hey I’m at 208 down from 313 a couple years ago.

Anybody hear from George lately? I thought about him the other night. I can only hope he’s playing lots of ukuleles from the health and safety of a comfortable pair of underwear.

Top Bottom