Discord...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I like some sites is because I can do searches in back material. Stuff vanishes into the ether on discord, so you just have people asking the same thing all the time. Someone started one for a moped repair group I'm on, and it died quick because of that.

Discords strong feature is as a platform for "conference calls". I believe you can add video like on zoom, teams, Google meet etc, but it is mostly popular for people playing video games on their PC and talking with each other at the same time. For this purpose video is not practical, and the text chat is mostly a support function for the voice channels.

I agree that Discord is not a substitute for an online forum like this.

Discord is not a forum, it's a chat room. I lasted about 20 minutes then dumped it. As long as UU is around, it's my one and only ukulele forum.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I started a Discord for my content. It's not a forum, obviously, but for answering one-off questions and talking story it's great. I'm looking forward to exploring how it will allow me to connect with my audience better.

It's also free, takes five minutes to set up, and basically runs itself aside from moderation. The appeal from Ryan's point of view should be obvious. The boys have been paying out the nose for the UU forum in money and headaches for well over a decade. The fact that they haven't just thrown in the towel after all the frustration is rather remarkable. They really love us.

Last edited:
Installed it, set it up, tried it, didn't care for it, deleted it and came back here.

So I posted this because I saw a thread saying, ‘Please Move to Our Discord Server’. I tried discord, it just gave me a long line of text, didn’t format right, wasn’t user friendly.

DON'T ANSWER THIS THREAD, LET IT DIE, IT'S OBSOLETE.

yer keyboard broken?

It wouldn't be that hard for a moderator or admin to go in and put a disclaimer at the top of the first post of this thread (and/or the very old "announcement" thread that it refers to) to explain things. Or... even DELETE these threads.

The question only keeps coming back because the outdated/incorrect info is still here. Make it go away!

I tried the UU discord. I feel like id enjoy it if all I wanted to do was follow a chat room all day and if it didnt bother me that I never had any idea what was going on every time I opened up the app, and if it didnt bother me that most people in the ukulele chat room didnt really seem to be discussing ukuleles most of the time. But my experience with the UU Discord was confusing and unsatisfying for those reasons. So I left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom