Season 473 - Singing about Singing

pabrizzer

Reaction score
Songs with the word SING (or singing sang sung) in the TITLE are what I'm asking you to bring for Season 473

no song limit
not really after big productions or multi-track extravaganzas - just you and your uke is fine
originals welcomed and encouraged
usual start and finish times

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Love that intro video! I especially like that uke behind you. I remember recording a song or two with it :)

Cheers for hosting this one Brian. Thought I'd dust off the Soprano for this one as It doesn't seem to be used as much by seasonista's on the forums these days and I love the simplicity, portability and rawness of just grabbing it and playing .

Thanks for the tuneful theme Brian. I remember you doing an excellent Weeping Song. Here's another Nick Cave. Not sure I pulled off the basso profundo in the first verse. it is what it is.

Hey, Brian. Cheers for hosting!

Let's not muck about. Keeping it no frills...this is the very first song I thought of (and the second Merle Haggard song of the season already!) so I just banged it out first time, straight to phone.

A short and sweet Beatles number, which John Lennon apparently considered a bit of a throwaway song. There's a fun version on Anthology 2 where Lennon and McCartney giggle all the way through it. I managed not to giggle.

I think normally I'd have overdubbed the intro. I don't know if "just you and your uke is fine" is a guideline or a rule, but I've taken it as an opportunity to stretch myself at least a little bit.

Getting in quickly with this piece of low hanging fruit, from Elkie Brooks

Nice theme Brian! There are at least 10,000x more songs with the word “song” in the title than all the songs with “sing”, “singing”, “sang”, and “sung” combined. In reading your season description I had eliminated songs with “song” in the title, but now I see them popping up in the playlist. So are songs with “song” in the title acceptable, or was I correct in my reading of the theme?

Last edited:
Hello, Brian! This was the first song I thought of when I saw your theme ... unfortunately, I can't sing like Mama Cass! I have always associated this song with The Mamas & Papas and was surprised to see that it was written by Rodgers and Hart and originally featured in "The Boys From Syracuse" (1938). In deference to your wishes, I have tried to tone down my natural exuberance, so that I haven't presented you with a "big production!"

Last edited:
Here's the first thing that popped into my head, Brian! This song only contains three chords, but most of the song stays on Em and rides it hard.
A bit of early Jethro Tull for you.

The Tower Of Song - Leonard Cohen

A song from a fellow Canuck. There is a women's trio singing, "Da doo dum dum dum, da doo dum dum" in Leonard's version. That's your part if you choose to accept it.
You'll notice that my croaky old voice made me smile singing the line, "I was born with the gift of a golden voice."
Leonard Cohen always gets a laugh with this line too. Upon accepting a Juno (Canada's version of a Grammy) in 1993, he joked, "Only in Canada could somebody with a voice like mine win (Male) Vocalist Of The Year." He beat out Neil Young, Kim Mitchell, Cory Hart and Francis Martin.

Last edited:
Nice theme Brian! There are at least 10,000x more songs with the word “song” in the title than all the songs with “sing”, “singing”, “sang”, and “sung” combined. In reading your season description I had eliminated songs with “song” in the title, but now I see them popping up in the playlist. So are songs with “song” in the title acceptable, or was I correct in my reading of the theme?

i'm accepting what the seasonistas are bringing Brian - if you have a 'song' song that you want to bring go ahead but yes you did read my request correctly - the main reason i hadn't included that word is that we had a previous season about songs - but that was more songs that mention specific song titles in their lyrics - 'singer' is certainly what i was after too ....

i'm accepting what the seasonistas are bringing Brian - if you have a 'song' song that you want to bring go ahead but yes you did read my request correctly - the main reason i hadn't included that word is that we had a previous season about songs - but that was more songs that mention specific song titles in their lyrics - 'singer' is certainly what i was after too ....

Ok great! The song I’m planning fits with your original guidelines.

Top Bottom