Season 473 - Singing about Singing

I thought I'd done this one previously, but I don't see it on my channel. It may be one of the many I'd worked on and not finished. No multi-tracking, but since it originated on Sesame Street it absolutely needed to be sung by the puppet

As soon as I saw this theme, I knew what song I wanted to sing. It is my friend James Donal Faulkner's wonderful "Sing a Few More Songs" - Unfortunately, I discovered I had already sang it for Season 421. So, while I am preparing my latest opus for this Season I'd just like to remind you of this song that Jim uses to closes his sets... and a fine one it is...

Sticking to theme. No tricks.

I was quite surprised at the spookily uncanny resemblance to mine and Roberta Flacks vocals :rofl: ...............

Luis brought an early Jethro Tull song, and here's another. From the Living in the Past (U.S. version) album. Probably was a single in the U.K.

Here's one from Jason Isbell. Sorry Pa, when I looked at the run time on this I cringed. I won't be bringing many this week so maybe split it into 3 1:45 chunks?

I am still reeling from my participation on FAWM - but when I saw this theme I had an idea what I could do with the videos and pictures of our early Spring, which one of our Rambling Group has been posting for us.

I wrote it yesterday and hoped to post it for International Women's Day. But I just didn't have the time. It took ages to record, as it was more complex than my usual one-man one-instrument videos and I made a few errors using Garage Band on my i-pad which meant I had to record the Ukulele part twice.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. Here, a day late, is:

This is a Shel Silverstein song about singing. I've never heard him sing it, and I can't find any recording of him singing it, sadly - the version I know is by Tom Paxton, Anne Hills and Bob Gibson from their "Best of Friends" concert. Anyway, here it is:

I stumbled over this old famous tune from 1936.
As it has not many chords, I could construct a version from a fragmentary online song sheet (and substituting trombone/blow/go with ukulele/strum/fun ;) )

Here's a little original because I haven't played the blues in a while and a pabrizzer season is a good one to break that duck.

This song has kind of a U2 connection, in the sense that Daniel Lanois, who produced a lot of their records, was in this band (among some other great artists like Trixie Whitley and Brian Blade).
Here is my take on Sing by Back Dub. It is is a real shame they only made one record, in my opinion the original and the whole record it is on, is definitely worth checking out.

Last edited:
Love Song by The Cure. Sorry I was off by 1 letter: Song (not sing, sang, sung), which I realized later.
I didn't want to scrap it and start from scratch. This one was a bit of a challenge for me, to keep a rhythm going, and need to use my voice to try and hit some of the signature guitar and keyboard licks.

Last edited:
Hi Pa! Thanks for the interesting theme. I happen to know that Marc Hinchey is a big Gillian Welch/David Rawlings fan, like me, so we put our heads together and worked up this one. Thanks, Marc!

I Want To Sing That Rock And Roll, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, 2001

Last edited:
Top Bottom