Season 473 - Singing about Singing

When I saw the title of this week's season, I knew instantly what song I'd need to participate with. It's one of my favorite songs, and it is so on topic. I first heard it, while watching a Canadian film called "Bye Bye Blues" where the song is part of the soundtrack. (I recommend the movie by the way, it's a great film)

Written by Bill Henderson of of the band "UHF" (also of the band "Chilliwack"). UHF is a trio with Shari Ulrich, Bill Henderson, and Roy Forbes. You can hear Roy Forbs as a host on CKUA radio (streaming if you live outside of Alberta, Canada - he hosts a great show)

I don't do the song any justice really, so I'd recommend listening to the original soundtrack recording with Rebecca Jenkins singing the song properly.

P.S. singing was just a tad less terrifying this week. This "seasons thing" is good for me.

Links
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bye_Bye_Blues_(film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHF_(album)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj-jSgPoSEY

Hello again, Brian, I bring you an "original" for the week; just me and a ukulele and, er .... a ghost, a blackbird and a washing line with a crown hanging out to dry! Well, this IS basically a nursery rhyme! The original was one of the first songs that came to me for this week, but, since it was a bit tame, I felt it needed greater depth and focus. (In other words, it's absolute nonsense!)

Here is one where the singer is the song!

Ahoy.
It's been a busy week or two at work but I finally made time for a season.
Here is a Beck classic

Sing, Sing, Sing (With A Swing), Louis Prima, 1936.

Heinz (ktschp) very graciously gave me the go-ahead on this one after I jealously watched his excellent rendition with lyrics, a la Louis Prima, who wrote this. This one is modeled after the Benny Goodman Orchestra's recording of Prima's song in 1937. It's awfully long...

Another week where an entry of mine happens to follow that of one of Liz's 5-star performances... oh well. I'll have redeem myself... with...
one of my favorites.

Just a quick dash of bigbanjobarlele between fibreglassing
plywood and other boaty bits.....

Just me and my cat, Muffin, singing I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing from the New Seekers. No editing done on this one, recorded by my daughter on her phone ;)

I was a big fan of the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" TV series. This song is from a musical episode, in which a demon came to town who made everyone break into song that revealed the secrets the characters had been keeping from each other. This is Buffy's climactic song, where she reveals that when she died saving the world and her friends resurrected her, it resulted in her being yanked out of resting in peace in heaven. Which is why she's been a little peevish. Followed by her being talked down by Spike the vampire, and ending with a kiss-off from the demon who caused the ruckus.

SOTU 473 - "One Little Song," by Gillian Welch. Since I did a Gillian song last week and a duet of another with Liz this week, I figured I might as well go for the trifecta. This is off of her 2003 record "Soul Journey".

i just listened to pabrizzer's song and i literally
picked up an instrument 3/4 the way through, turned on the
camera thingy and made up this song by way of response
rough as guts like everything i do but maybe you'll feel
something of my heart in it
thanks for this week and the inspiration to play something brother

Nobody puts baby in the corner ......so out comes the Soprano for a second visit this season ......

Another chance to sing show tunes? With my shiny new uke? Yes please!
Do you hear the people sing?

Hi all. I am having the forbidden sender problem again so here I am trying with a different account...
Here is my rendition of a great Nick Cave song

Top Bottom