Romero Creations Grand Tenor vs Signature Replica

Contrails

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am looking for a tenor and can’t decide between the 2. Anyone here own both or has played both before? I know the grand tenor has a bigger body and so would most likely have a better Low range. It joints the body at the 14th fret while the replica on the 12th fret.
I have watched a lot of videos on both but can’t seem to tell the difference between them. There doesn’t seem to be a side by side comparison between them as well. Where I am there is no way to play one in my hands and so am hoping for your experience with them. Also which wood would you recommend as well. I like ukes that maintain their volume and sustain as much as possible as you play up the neck. For the time being let’s stick to these 2 otherwise the options are just overwhelming. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I've played both in various tone woods and have to say the biggest difference in sound revolved around the wood combinations rather than the body style. I preferred the all mahogany grand tenor over the koa and two wood combos, i.e., spruce and mahogany. I also liked the grand tenor neck shape a little more than the replica. My spruce and mahogany replica had a silly thin neck profile and was uncomfortable to say the least. The mother of pearl bindings were a little too pimped out but some may prefer it over the plain jane grand tenor.

I've played both in various tone woods and have to say the biggest difference in sound revolved around the wood combinations rather than the body style. I preferred the all mahogany grand tenor over the koa and two wood combos, i.e., spruce and mahogany. I also liked the grand tenor neck shape a little more than the replica. My spruce and mahogany replica had a silly thin neck profile and was uncomfortable to say the least. The mother of pearl bindings were a little too pimped out but some may prefer it over the plain jane grand tenor.

Thank you very much for your opinion. It carries a lot of weight coming from you. I have been reading your reviews on your website and also listening to your playing. I really enjoy listening to your recordings.

I'm curious about this also. Right now I'm debating between several Romeros, and without being able to play any I'm finding it difficult to decide. I'm particularly intrigued by their large bodied soprano, as it doesn't sound like a soprano at all. But there's a tenor I like too, and I'm basically a tenor person. Gochugogi, I enjoy your playing as well.

I've owned both a Replica and a Grand Tenor. But I will confess they were at different ends of the spectrum. I loved the replica - it was a solid mahogany tenor. Quite nice. The Grand Tenor was a solid spruce top with a laminate back and sides - and as such its not fair to compare them. If I hadn't owned a KoAloha tenor, I would have kept the replica. I found it to be nearly as good. The Grand Tenor was a canon. Both were quality instruments and I think you can't make a bad decision.

Top Bottom