Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I Get All These Ukes Or Just The One?

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I also agree that lower priced ukes are not an investment, especially a Vorson, I had one and ultimately didn't have a use for a solid body electric steel string, so I sold it just a few weeks later for a loss, even listed as like new. Fanner Guitars out of South Africa makes customizable sold body steel string ukes for around $750, maybe check him out. https://www.etsy.com/shop/FannerGuitarWorks
    I could never justify spending that much on a uke. I'm not a professional and I just play for my own pleasure. Those lower price instruments that I see sound pretty good when played by a skilled musician. They may not have the expensive parts, but they give a decent sound. The Flight I want to get is going to be more than I have paid for with the exception of my Ibanez AK95.
    My Ukes .... so far
    Hadean Acoustic Electric Bass Ukulele UKB-20 FH
    Hadean Bass Uke UKB-200 FH Ukulele with Steel Strings
    Caramel Baritone
    Deviser Concert/Tenor
    Balnna Concert Ukulele(very colorful!)
    Vanphy Tenor Electric/Accoustic
    Vorson K Style Solid Body Electric Tenor
    All the rest
    Guitars
    95 Fender AG 15 N
    Squire (w/gold letters)
    RW Jameson Electric/Acoustic Nice $100!
    03 Ibanez AK 95
    Rogue 090 12 String
    Mandolins
    Rogue RM100A and 111
    4/4 Violin

Quote Originally Posted by spirittoo View Post
    I'm definitely going to get the Flight, but I'm debating should I get the Vorson too since they are hard to find now too. If I don't like the Vorson and they go out of stock again, I should be able to sell them with no lost. If I do like them I can be one of those crazies with a lot of ukes.
    99% of the time you will not sell a ukulele for the price you purchased. It's like an automobile...you drive it away from the dealership and you've lost 10% or 15% of what you paid.
    Larry

KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    KALA SOLID FLAME MAPLE CONCERT
    JUPITER UKULELE TENOR #77, REDWOOD/SYCAMORE
    ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR" (LOW "G")
    ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR (LOW "G")
    OHANA BK-70M BARITONE

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

Pick one, and get it. Then decide on getting another. Every Uke is a learning experience, and the one you get may redirect your thinking.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

I could use those Vorson as learning tools for updates and set up. What kind of updates would you do to those ukes if you could? Me I would definitely update the pickups and strings, then see how it goes from there.
    My Ukes .... so far
    Caramel Baritone
    Deviser Concert/Tenor
    All the rest
    Guitars
    95 Fender AG 15 N
    Squire (w/gold letters)
    RW Jameson Electric/Acoustic Nice $100!
    03 Ibanez AK 95
    Rogue 090 12 String
    Mandolins
    Rogue RM100A and 111
    4/4 Violin

My thought is that I only buy a new uke if I have a reason to. So far I own four:

Concert tuend to low-g
    concert tuned re-entrant
    Steel string electric (Vorson)
    Banjolele
    Plastic uke to juggle with (Bugsgear)

The two concerts are pretty cheap laminate ones, so I might get a new one to upgrade; I'd not buy another cheap solid-body electric or banjolele or whatever unless I had a really good reason for one. The Vorson and FLight electrics feel to me like two of the same thing; I'd ask why.

Quote Originally Posted by spirittoo View Post
    I could use those Vorson as learning tools for updates and set up. What kind of updates would you do to those ukes if you could? Me I would definitely update the pickups and strings, then see how it goes from there.
    When I got my Vorson I changed the strings to low-G, set it up, plugged it in, and jammed. This was all straightforward. Anything beyond that was more effort than it was worth to me. The tuners and pots are serviceable. Changing the pickups is tricky as they're a non-standard size. I've considered stripping it and painting it a more interesting colour, but once I'm going to that effort I might as well make a whole new body.

Unless the point is the project you'd be better off spending a bit more up front to get what you really want than to get the Vorson and upgrade it. If I did want it as a project I'd probably do a scratch build rather than upgrading. Maybe I'd keep the neck. Maybe.

Here’s the solid body four string class act. They’re big, expensive, and hard to come by, but they’re wonderful! I’m glad I was able to get one. https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...or-Tele-REVIEW

You already have an eclectic collection of ukes I have never heard of. So you should definitely get BOTH to round out your collection. Why get only one if there are two you would like!

Many of us deal with UAS (Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome) but you are not under any obligation to catch it.
    Do not confuse a temporary warehouse shortage (attributable to either COVID or trade wars) with rarity and value. I like my Vorson, but it is not a collectible. It’s okay to be patient.

Wellsir ... I probably will just go with the Flight since it is everything I want. I may go ahead and get the V shape Vorson, because of its different shape. But I won't go with the S shape Vorson. I may be coming down with UAS, but I will resist.
    My Ukes .... so far
    Caramel Baritone
    Deviser Concert/Tenor
    All the rest
    Guitars
    95 Fender AG 15 N
    Squire (w/gold letters)