Should I Get All These Ukes Or Just The One?

spirittoo

Reaction score
Wellsir ... I have been wanting a electric solid body uke and I was looking at the Vorson S and V models. I was going to get both of them because one has the strat shape and the other has the straight line head stock. Then I found the Flight pathfinder which has both the shape and the headstock I like so I wouldn't need the Vorson.

However they are all so popular would it be a good investment to get the Vorson models too. It will be a while before they are available so I have time to think about it. Thought?:anyone::confused:

if by "investment" you mean "buy and then sell at a profit", I'd say no. if you mean "I want to have multiple solid bodies to have in different tunings (or whatever)", then I'd say "maybe". If you don't have a plan for the multiples, then I'd say wait for the Flight you like.

I'm with Jim. Why the rush?

What rush? None are available right now. If I am lucky the Flight may be available in May in the US. I have no idea when the Vorson will be available. :uhoh:

I would keep my eyes peeled.

Actually, I would save more and get a Risa, if electrics are your thing.

if by "investment" you mean "buy and then sell at a profit", I'd say no. if you mean "I want to have multiple solid bodies to have in different tunings (or whatever)", then I'd say "maybe". If you don't have a plan for the multiples, then I'd say wait for the Flight you like.

:agree: New factory ukes are a very poor "investment"...I've lost a lot of money buying and selling ukes, even used ones. :rofl:

I also agree that lower priced ukes are not an investment, especially a Vorson, I had one and ultimately didn't have a use for a solid body electric steel string, so I sold it just a few weeks later for a loss, even listed as like new. Fanner Guitars out of South Africa makes customizable sold body steel string ukes for around $750, maybe check him out. https://www.etsy.com/shop/FannerGuitarWorks

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I have a Clearwater (Vorson), & whilst it works OK, I'd go for the Flight, because it's got the looks that you want. :)

I'm definitely going to get the Flight, but I'm debating should I get the Vorson too since they are hard to find now too. If I don't like the Vorson and they go out of stock again, I should be able to sell them with no lost. If I do like them I can be one of those crazies with a lot of ukes.:cool:

I would keep my eyes peeled.

Actually, I would save more and get a Risa, if electrics are your thing.

I know Risa makes good quality ukes, but they are too rich for my blood. Plus there don't have one that looks as good as the Flight uke even though they use better parts than Flight.

I also agree that lower priced ukes are not an investment, especially a Vorson, I had one and ultimately didn't have a use for a solid body electric steel string, so I sold it just a few weeks later for a loss, even listed as like new. Fanner Guitars out of South Africa makes customizable sold body steel string ukes for around $750, maybe check him out. https://www.etsy.com/shop/FannerGuitarWorks
I could never justify spending that much on a uke. I'm not a professional and I just play for my own pleasure. Those lower price instruments that I see sound pretty good when played by a skilled musician. They may not have the expensive parts, but they give a decent sound. The Flight I want to get is going to be more than I have paid for with the exception of my Ibanez AK95.

I'm definitely going to get the Flight, but I'm debating should I get the Vorson too since they are hard to find now too. If I don't like the Vorson and they go out of stock again, I should be able to sell them with no lost. If I do like them I can be one of those crazies with a lot of ukes.:cool:

99% of the time you will not sell a ukulele for the price you purchased. It's like an automobile...you drive it away from the dealership and you've lost 10% or 15% of what you paid.

Pick one, and get it. Then decide on getting another. Every Uke is a learning experience, and the one you get may redirect your thinking.

I could use those Vorson as learning tools for updates and set up. What kind of updates would you do to those ukes if you could? Me I would definitely update the pickups and strings, then see how it goes from there.

My thought is that I only buy a new uke if I have a reason to. So far I own four:

Concert tuend to low-g
concert tuned re-entrant
Steel string electric (Vorson)
Banjolele
Plastic uke to juggle with (Bugsgear)

The two concerts are pretty cheap laminate ones, so I might get a new one to upgrade; I'd not buy another cheap solid-body electric or banjolele or whatever unless I had a really good reason for one. The Vorson and FLight electrics feel to me like two of the same thing; I'd ask why.

I could use those Vorson as learning tools for updates and set up. What kind of updates would you do to those ukes if you could? Me I would definitely update the pickups and strings, then see how it goes from there.
When I got my Vorson I changed the strings to low-G, set it up, plugged it in, and jammed. This was all straightforward. Anything beyond that was more effort than it was worth to me. The tuners and pots are serviceable. Changing the pickups is tricky as they're a non-standard size. I've considered stripping it and painting it a more interesting colour, but once I'm going to that effort I might as well make a whole new body.

Unless the point is the project you'd be better off spending a bit more up front to get what you really want than to get the Vorson and upgrade it. If I did want it as a project I'd probably do a scratch build rather than upgrading. Maybe I'd keep the neck. Maybe.

You already have an eclectic collection of ukes I have never heard of. So you should definitely get BOTH to round out your collection. Why get only one if there are two you would like!

Many of us deal with UAS (Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome) but you are not under any obligation to catch it.
Do not confuse a temporary warehouse shortage (attributable to either COVID or trade wars) with rarity and value. I like my Vorson, but it is not a collectible. It’s okay to be patient.

Wellsir ... I probably will just go with the Flight since it is everything I want. I may go ahead and get the V shape Vorson, because of its different shape. But I won't go with the S shape Vorson. I may be coming down with UAS, but I will resist.:stop:

Top Bottom