Bookmatch or Not?

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Do you like to see tops and backs bookmatched? I do. But I see many instruments made without it, including some very high end ones. So .... what do you think?

I don't like it. If I'm paying for solid wood, I want solid wood. I don't know (or care) if it sounds better or not. It is merely an issue of getting what I pay for. Conversely I wouldn't mind paying less for something that isn't solid as long as that's part of the conditions.

I quite like bookmatched wood tops and backs on my tenors. Some can be really attractive. It's not always possible to get an exact match. Especially if there's a heavily flamed pattern.

I do have a Ko'Aloha Crown Bridge tenor that was made with single-piece top, back and sides. It looks odd to me since all of my other tenors are bookmatched.

I don't like it. If I'm paying for solid wood, I want solid wood. I don't know (or care) if it sounds better or not. It is merely an issue of getting what I pay for. Conversely I wouldn't mind paying less for something that isn't solid as long as that's part of the conditions.

Ripock, there seems to be some misunderstanding here. "Bookmatch" doesn't have anything to do with solid versus laminate construction. Either can be bookmatched, or not. Apart from the appearance issue, I see bookmatching as a sign of special care being taken in the choice of wood and building process. I just like to see the grain pattern matched across the face of the instrument.

I’m under the impression that book matching makes a feature out of a necessity. Often boards don’t come wide enough for a solid/continuous piece of wood to act as the sound board or back and so are butt joined along the centre line of the instrument. Book matching is a form of more visually attractive joint.

If I had the option then a single piece of wood would be my preference; it’s simple, it doesn’t have a joint subject to fail and it doesn’t have backing strips that might unhelpfully stiffen things up.

Graham, I agree whole heartedly! A single piece is ideal. And, of course, the grain runs all the way across. Bookmatching would be my second choice. What I question is very high end makers apparently choosing not to bookmatch, and producing very expensive instruments with non-matched two piece tops. I just think bookmatched tops are more beautiful than mismatched grain tops.

Yes to bookmatching. I can't imagine buying a high end uke and having the top not matching. I'm getting a custom tenor built right now, and I was greatly debating whether to have the back bookmatched or get a contrasting backstrip. In the end I chose a contrasting backstrip, but I think a nice bookmatch would have made me happy as well.

I like bookmatching, it adds some symmetry to my eye. What I don't like is tops, usually spruce or other light colored wood, where one side is way darker than the other, I think that is called grain runout. I see that more on guitars than ukes.

Bookmatched
View attachment 132825

Grain runout
View attachment 132826

Actually though - with spruce isn't that the sign the wood has been properly quartersawn and a sign of good quality?

Depends entirely on

1. The wood
2. The construction
3. The scale / size of uke

Some woods lend well to bookmatching, some less so. Tops, depending on scale can be two piece (can be bookmatched) or one piece (can't be).

So I don't think this can be an 'either or' or a 'I like this or that'.

This is a very simple soprano I own made from reclaimed Brazilian Mahogany. It's one piece on top so bookmatching does not come into it. I like it for how it is.

_DSC0611.jpg

I like the idea of a solid piece, no joint. Bookmatching is hard to get it all to line up exactly, which sometimes bugs my OCD...:biglaugh:
My Martin IZ, looks like it's a solid piece...
IMG_20200528_102013262_HDR.jpg

That's a nice Martin IZ, UkerDanno.

Funny, I splurged with my first solid wood uke and went for a Mele custom tenor. It came with a one piece solid top and one piece back, and I thought at first that a mistake had been made, lol. Very soon I realized that a tree the width of my tenor went into making the instrument and then I got it. That said, I think nothing less of a book matched top. Agreed that my eyes inherently like the symmetry and my ears can't tell the difference.

Top Bottom