What are your thoughts on this tool

I guess I can't quite work out what problem it is trying to solve? What's wrong with a normal pruning saw and clippers? Certainly cool.

I have one of these but a different brand. It is really nice for it's intended use. I like it better than other styles of pruning tools, it'll go through larger branches pretty easily. Not sure how any of this applies to building ukes though? ;)

Doing a search, I see the battery costs $90. I got a Greenworks 16" battery-powered chainsaw from Amazon, and it works well. I have a gas-powered Stihl, but the electric is easy to use on the spur of the moment - $178.

This Stihl costs $150, but it's too small to interest me.

I have a similar ryobi on a stick. Very efficient at cutting off and cutting up small branches. It being on a stick also keeps your feet on the ground more often.
Haven't used it in uke building but. Plenty of angle grinder attachments around that are just as destructive and handier for uke work

I use a sawzall often for this small kind of stuff.
Actually it's a Ryobi sawzall copy and is battery powered

Last edited:
I try to stick with one system for these small tools. Seems like all companies are making these mini electric saws. This is one of the smaller ones. I could see using it up in a tree but as others I use my sawsall for small branch removal. A sawsall is more efficient due to the more narrow blade and ease of blade change, cost of blades, variety of blades, battery interchange with other tools and smoothness of cut. I have something like this that is on a 12' fiberglass pole which can be very useful. Without the pole, I will live without this tool.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust myself with one of those. At least a petrol chainsaw looks dangerous. This thing looks like a toy.

I will stick with my reciprocating saw, I think. Less chance for misadventure.

I try to stick with one system for these small tools.

Boy, is that important! Most batteries cost more than decent plug-in tools. However, there are battery adapters that let you use a DeWalt on a Makita, for example. I have DeWalt drills and impact drivers, so if I ever get other cordless tools, they'll be DeWalt.

I know they have to show the protective equipment in the video and all....But do you really need a hardhat to prune a bush?? Better get the kevlar chaps and face shield too :rolleyes:

Looks like a fun little tool to me... I thought the part where he attempts to cut grass was a little ridiculous... Like many say, I just use my reciprocating saw with a pruning blade to do such chores. I use a lawnmower to cut the grass.

Nothing to with building ukuleles, but:

Referring to the video in the OP, it is a waste of time to cut weedy brush at 6" high. It just promotes regrowth, and you can't mow over it. You need to cut flush with the ground and that takes a proper chainsaw.

For this purpose, I bought a 16" Atlas [Harbor Freight] and put and put a 14" bar/chain on it. Very maneuverable and the battery runs a long time. And yeah, it easily takes down and cuts up [bucks] dead 20" trees with little effort.

Last edited:
Top Bottom