Season 474 - My Name is Carnival.

This is one for the #2 playlist.

Tod Browning's "Freaks" makes a cameo appearance in this Bowie classic:

I still haven't decided which Jackson C Frank song to have a go at, so in the meantime, I did a Tom Waits song, where they stay at the carnival but they'll never win you back:

I love this song, so I hope I haven't caused it any lasting damage. It turned out to be quite a bit harder to sing than I expected! Needs more whisky, I suppose.

It's a collab piece! Jon's playng gives what is simply just TWO chords a real sense of progression. Two chords (Em, D)! Meanwhile, I thought about a kid when threatened with being sold to the circus actually hopes that will happen, and is disappointed when it turns out to be myth...
Carnivals come in other forms though...

Had a go at "The Blues Run The Game". My spin on it,trying to avoid the slightly sickly (IMHO) twist that Simon and Garfunkle
put on it and trying not to do an "impression" of JCF.
Which would have been impossible, so this is a bit
of a cluster f**k (excuse the colourful phrase lol)

Done straight to Camera with BigBariGuilele.

Last edited:
And hello, yet again, John! What do you do when it's your birthday, it's grey and raining, and, for the second year you can't go and celebrate because everything is shut? (The first lockdown in France actually started on my birthday last year!) Well, obviously, you resist an inexplicable urge to take rubbish down to the tip, dig out another of your apparently inexhaustible supply of moustaches and sing a very silly song ....

Last edited:
Might not get another chance this week, but I can't let the week go by without posting a Jackson C. Frank number, so here's Box Canyon. I don't know why this particular one grabbed me, except perhaps that I've also spent many days and months waiting for the train, but grab me it did, so here it is:

It's on a tenor ukulele. Also featuring a baritone strumming away, some gratuitous harmonica, and a better than usual success rate at playing an E chord :).

Happy Birthday, Val!

John Fogerty had a carnival in his back yard. Yeah, that was it ...

I wrote a song with some Dumbo the Elephant imagery. I hope it works for this prompt ❤️

SOTU 474 - "Sweeping The Spotlight Away" is the title song to Canadian singer-songwriter Murray McLauchan's 1974 album. It's a homage to circus clowns and especially the world renowned sad faced clown Emmett Kelly. Like Jackson C. Frank, Kelly coincidentally was involved in a tragic fire. In 1944, Ringling Brothers Circus was playing in Hartford, Connecticut when a circus tent caught fire - resulting in 168 deaths and 682 injuries. An iconic photo of Kelly toting a water bucket was later published in Life magazine. The tragedy affected Kelly for the rest of his life. Thanks to Kevin Griffin, who plays steel stringed baritone on this one.

Which Bari did you use to take steel strings. I dream of steel strings on a uke !! No I really do ......

Written by Stephen Sondheim for the show a little night music, even ole blue eyes recorded it

I have a tenor guitar, tuned as a Bari uke, CeeJay. That might be the cheapest option, although I have an idea that Pono might do a steel-string baritone.

Thanks Val......hey your other name isn't Carni by any chance ?

I'll get me coat...;)

Top Bottom