Season 474 - My Name is Carnival.

I'm gonna have to throw out another fair theme here John, I'm struggling to get something authentic going with Franks songs but the Low G seems to favour his style of travis playing (all my ukes are high) than the re-entrant but I am trying honest Guv . :music:

Gobsmacked that this little ditty, either straight or punked up a la The Toy Dolls version...
I mixed it up a bit with a little of each flavour.
Just pretend that this is the bit in the show when
the clown rolls round and lightens it up a bit ������

Here is my contribution, this week. It's an attempt to describe in song the almost indescribable week that is Carnaval (Carnival) here in my new home town of Villanova i la Geltru (Catalunya).

The candy wars and the meringue wars just have to be seen to be believed! It is an amazing experience! Sadly, this year's was a "virtual one" which wasn't much fun... Here's to Carnaval 2022!

Hope you enjoy:

Come on all you late bloomers. Time to post a vid. We are up to 36 vids at the moment. Be nice to crack 50. Any lurkers out there? Never posted in the seasons before? Now’s your chance. Overcome your coulrophobia all my fellow freaks and geeks!

The most important person at the circus is the bookkeeper, this song says. "Tsirkus" (Circus) from year 1983 by Vello Toomemets and Juhan Sutt. My version on electric uke with effects.

My other half is asleep next door, and I had a few minutes between jobs. So I'm playing my tiny, tiny travel uke.

This is a bit of a one take wonder - I have to get back to work now. I might revisit this at a later date. It's a very well put together song but there are very few lyrics. It deserves a better recording really.

Anyway, here you go:

Great entries, guys!

This was feat of endurance and the first and only take I was willing to do!

This was one of the first ones that came to mind for this week, but then it seemed a bit too obvious. Also, perhaps, not a good one for the beginning of the week, but since the week is coming to an end soon, here it is now:

Of course, this particular carnival isn't over for another couple of days yet - and certainly not until we hear from Ralf!

Guess I'll sneak one more in this week. Here's Jesse "Lonecat" Fuller's The Monkey & The Engineer.

Jesse was a wonderful one man band, best known for songs like San Francisco Bay Blues, Take It Slow And Easy and Hesitation Blues. He played 12-string guitar, harmonica, kazoo, high hat and an instrument of his own invention called a "fotdella". The fotdella was a foot operated string bass instrument made from an old piano.
He said in a Sing Out! interview that since he started his one man band, not one band member has shown up late or drunk.
I meant to add some kazoo, mouth harp and siren whistle to this song, but I left it too late. Sorry.

Jesse fuller.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a song Kev introduced me to that I feel fits the Season well. Didn't have a lot of time this week to work on it, but I hope ya'll still enjoy!

Joo recorded this wrecking ball of a song written by Daniel Johnston today
and i added a little bit to it.
the Two Little Woodpeckers are back in business!
thank you again for this week, John.

Carnival is not just entertainment, as Circus a.s.o. These are the days, where in Christian culture differences between people should vanish, and this was celebrated. E.g. Cologne, ca. 1 Mio residents, is the stronghold of carnival in DE. Carnival there is popular since medieval times. Carnival events start at Nov/11th at 11:11 h. On the hay market (Heumarkt) in Cologne they count down on a stage, lots of musicians performe in front of a big audience of masked people.
From that day on each evening in dozens of venues sessions with music, dance and funny acts are starting, culminating in the last days from wifes shrovenight (thursday, Weiber-Fastnacht) over the big shrove monday procession to mardi gras (tuesday). These "crazy days" nearly the whole town is masquerading.
main railway station: https://www.ksta.de/image/25936998/...2264/Rn/bahnsteige20170223max-weiberhbf27.jpg
hay market: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/g1I74hWVXWg/maxresdefault.jpg
A former colleague took since 20 years vacation for this time, and goes with his wife for 6 days, from procession to procession, pub to pub and event to event.
As my colleagues from Cologne say: You love it, or you leave it. On ash wednesday all is over, starting again on 11/11 at 11:11 h.

So I present a song from Blaeck Fooeess (pron. black fu(r)se, "nude feet") from Cologne. The 7 boys started in the 60s, first trying to play like Beatles/Stones and had been the warm-up act for British singer Graham Bonney, who 1970 asked, why they don't sing in German? So parallel they started making music for the Carnival season becoming extraordinarily successful. In the 1980s even some songs Germany wide became hits.

Their engagement and songs had a big impact: pushing social and political processes, maintaining the Cologne dialect, inspiring many other bands, and a fab career over 50 yrs. Nearly everybody in Cologne can sing with them. They have an own section in the Cologne city museum, an own truck on the carnival procession and they even got for their 50th jubilee a decorated tramway, all over covered with their songs.
https://media.tag24.de/951x634/c/e/ce5d9993dbd660cc5a69.jpg

Here's my translation of one of their big songs: Bye Bye My Love, ironically speaking acquaintance in Carnival times. Pls have a look at this song for the 40th jubilee 2010 in front of Colognes cathedral, incl. big band and a big choir:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA0mIZRkvCA

Last edited:
Ahoy
Although I did not submit anything this season I want to thank you for bringing a new artist into my life. I had never heard of Jackson C. Frank before and I was listening during the week and I really liked his music.

At first I though I would not be able to find something I wanted to play for this theme, but after listening to this song a few times I just had to have a go at it - even if it anded up being sunday evening.
I know that it is allready covered, but figured the song can bear several interpretions.

Top Bottom