Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 474 - My Name is Carnival.

Default Season 474 - My Name is Carnival.

Working on this. All my text disappeared!!!

“I’ve seen your face in every place that I’ll be going
    I read your words like black hungry birds
    Read every sowing
    Rise and fall. Spin and call, Here my name Carnival.”
    So starts the song by Jackson C. Frank that this week’s Season is named after.

A couple of options for you this week.
    Option 1: Any song sung, written or covered by singer songwriter Jackson C. Frank. Not a huge discography but plenty of gems in a career cut short by a series of tragic circumstances.
    If he was a contestant on one of those crappy TV talent programs on these days - he’d be a shoo -in to get a start based on his “ sad back story” tm alone.
    A couple of whole albums, as well as plenty of songs can be found on youtube. And. Chord charts for a few songs can also be found.
    A brief video of his story.

Option 2: All things Carnival, Circus, Fair ground, Amusement park, Medicine Show, fete etc.
    To make it even easier your song just has to contain a word in the lyrics that could commonly be associated with any of the above. Even if in the context of the song it is not directly about a circus etc.
    For example “ Stuck in the middle with you “ with it’s line “clowns to the left of you” is indeed acceptable even though it is not referencing circuses in the song.
    The only circus animals I will accept are – Lions, Tigers, Elephants and Monkeys. Again in any context. So “ The Lion sleeps tonight” is acceptable even though it’s not about a circus.
    I enjoy the fact that as well as the fun side of these amusements popular culture has always dabbled in the dark side. Witness Tod Browning’s 1932 horror film “ Freaks”, the 1947 film noir “ Nightmare Alley”- Tyrone Power’s acting masterpiece (watch for free on youtube). A film in which the word “Geek” has it’s original somewhat sinister meaning. “ Geek” also occurs in this context in Dylan’s “ Ballad of a Thin Man”.
    Ray Bradbury’s “ Something Wicked This Way Comes”…another example of the dark carnival.
    So - light or dark.
    Roll up, Roll up.
    All the usual rules regards start and finish timing apply. See previous seasons.
    Originals welcome but I would like these to be within the context of Carnivals, circus’s etc. not just containing a possibly unassociated lyric as I’m accepting for covers.
    Collaborations, multi tracks, other instruments all ok. Just have some uke in somewhere.
    No song limit. But if you do more than two circus songs you must then have a Jackson C. Frank for your third before you can do more circus songs..
    Late week enthusiasts have plenty of time to get some in on Brian’s Singing season.
    Cheers John - Playlist below
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...c7LjQkxofEtw-L
    Last edited by Flatbaroque; 03-14-2021 at 12:25 AM.

Sorry had a lot of trouble posting new thread. Hope it is finally ok.

That all sounds really interesting, John! I look forward to finding out about Jackson C. Frank ... I've never even heard of him!
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

This'll be a fun theme! Seems like I jumped the gun with the only Jackson C Frank song I know a couple of weeks ago though - I guess I'll just have to get to know more of them!
    - Edwin

jackson c. frank - what a sad story. thanks for posting that vid about him. i look forward to discovering more of his music this week - great theme
    lynda

i'm interested in one thing, and one thing only. and that's the eighties.

Thanks Val and Lynda for the encouragement! And cheers Edwin. I had this idea for a while...when you posted Blues Run the Game I was hoping you wouldn’t give someone the idea for a J.C.F season before my turn.

such a great theme John
    i was so buried in 60's folk for many years and discovered the songs of my life then
    Patrick Sky in particular who i consider myself lucky to have exchanged emails w/ these past years
    i've just taken a swipe at carnival but Bert Jansch's version from his Toy Balloon LP
    is the best cover i have heard of this week's theme song
    here:

I'm hearing a lot of recording artist I've never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain goat View Post
    such a great theme John
    i was so buried in 60's folk for many years and discovered the songs of my life then
    Patrick Sky in particular who i consider myself lucky to have exchanged emails w/ these past years
    i've just taken a swipe at carnival but Bert Jansch's version from his Toy Balloon LP
    is the best cover i have heard of this week's theme song
    here:
    Yes Bert Jansch is terrific Jon. I like how he plays Yamaha guitars too. Probably irks some guitar snobs. I confess I don’t know Patrick Sky. Sounds as though I should. Looking forward to any JCF you do. You got the bones.

Quote Originally Posted by aspieman456 View Post
    I'm hearing a lot of recording artist I've never heard of.
    Hi Aman, is it Dave? from memory. Hope you might enjoy some new ones. Cheers mate.

Thread Information