Season 474 - My Name is Carnival.

One from his debut (and only real) album.

David Essig's Circus Song

I've always liked this song but only decided to learn it on May 21, 2017 when I heard that the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, known as The Greatest Show On Earth had closed. I sang it at an open mic and then forgot about it till yesterday.

David Essig is a Canadian musician who lives on Gabriola Island in B.C. Maggie hired him for our folk club, Folk At The Forum, before the turn of the century (1988) and he gave my 12 year old son, Clay, a slide guitar lesson while he was staying at our house.

David Essig at the Garnet.jpg
David in Peterborough a couple of years ago

David Essig at 1988 Winnipeg FF.jpg
Maggie took this photo of David in 1988 at the Winnipeg Folk Festival. He is playing a Korean instrument called a gayageum.

Thanks for hosting John! I've enjoyed checking out some beautiful Jackson C. Frank tunes, but I think I'll choose option 2 for now. From Camille Saint-Saens' "Carnival of the Animals", here's "The Swan", for concert ukulele with whistling, with an overdub of Ashbory Ubass (off camera).

Hey John here's one for you.
Why thank you John.
My pleasure John.
John is such a crawler!...I wrote two songs and didn't like either much. So as the host I better do something. Here's another JCF Carnival.

Thanks for hosting John! I've enjoyed checking out some beautiful Jackson C. Frank tunes, but I think I'll choose option 2 for now. From Camille Saint-Saens' "Carnival of the Animals", here's "The Swan", for concert ukulele with whistling, with an overdub of Ashbory Ubass (off camera).

pissed off swan.jpg
This tune reminded me so much of my daily walk down the Port Hope Waterfront Trail. I should be whistling this tune as I walk.
The Swan 1.jpg The Swan 2.jpg The Swan 3.jpg The Swan 4.jpg

So great to see you back, Rob!

And hello again, John! I wanted to get in quickly with the JCF song as there aren't that many to choose from. This one comes from 1997 (just two years before his death), and was included in the anthology of all his works released in 2003. The photo in the video shows him as a handsome young man (although scarring from the burns is evident); by the time he wrote this, he was pretty much a down-and-out, and I think this is reflected in the song, although I don't pretend to completely understand the lyrics. His life was a tragic one, but he was obviously a great talent ... so sad! (I have supplemented the uke with a convenient drone, to add to the general air of misery!)

Last edited:
And P.S. ... I had great trouble posting the above; I kept getting the message that I had contravened some "clean talking" rule and to contact the forum administrator. Has anyone else had this, or was I, unwittingly, "talking dirty????"

Last edited:
I did Run For Home by Lindisfarne at the open mic the other week, and I realised today that there's clowns in the second verse. I'm definitely not going to pass up the opportunity to contribute a Lindisfarne song! So, here you go:

Don't forget to sing along with the chorus :).

I am a happy human this week☺️ Welcome back, Rob❤️ Thank you for hosting, John! I have circus/carnival/fair aversion syndrome (CCFAS), but I love this song from an early Bonnie Raitt album, so...happy Liz☺️

Too Long At The Fair, Joel Zoss, 1972

Thanks everyone. A good mix between JCF and circus songs.
Special thanks to Rob for putting a smile on people's faces.

Two of my favourite JCF songs are Singing Sailors and Tumble in the Wind...........just sayin'.
One of my favourite circus songs is Song to Raymondo....chords on Richard G's uke site..........just sayin'

John

And P.S. ... I had great trouble posting the above; I kept getting the message that I had contravened some "clean talking" rule and to contact the forum administrator. Has anyone else had this, or was I, unwittingly, "talking dirty????"
Val! I believe your attraction to risque song choice is well noted amongst officialdom at UkeCentral!!!
Sorry I wrote Liz not Val first up...had just listened to her song.

Last edited:
Welcome back Rob! It is so wonderful to see you strumming again.

Seeing as how I am completely unfamiliar with Jackson C. Frank and his works I am going to dispense of this low-hanging fruit first. I am reasonably sure that this fits the second item for this Season's theme.

Thanks for hosting John. Been listening to a bit of JCF and hope to bring one later in the week.

Top Bottom