Soprano, concert with low G

Piecomics

Reaction score
Hi,

I i’m looking for a low G ukulele for traveling with. Some thing a little bit smaller than my tenor. Ideally with either a radius fretboard or a wider Fretboard for easier finger style.

Any ideas?!

I have a Blackbird Clara (concert) that fits the bill nicely IF it is in your budget (ordered with a radius fretboard add on option). It is perfect for traveling since it does not need humidifying and I do not worry about the finish. It is NOT a budget uke and it really is one of my playing ukes as its primary purpose.

Jim, I messaged you about yours. I’m pretty sure we could find somewhere to meet up if it is low G.

I love the blackbird and it may be an option if I found. Uniquely good deal on a used one but I haven’t heard much about it with the low g. I am gunshy about it because I’ve had issues in the past trying to take a reentrant uke and changing the g out...

Jim, I messaged you about yours. I’m pretty sure we could find somewhere to meet up if it is low G.

I love the blackbird and it may be an option if I found. Uniquely good deal on a used one but I haven’t heard much about it with the low g. I am gunshy about it because I’ve had issues in the past trying to take a reentrant uke and changing the g out...

Blackbird makes it as a low G with the option of switching to high G. I like it with a flourocarbon low G (wound G was too strong for me).

Didn't get the message here, but you can email at jimhanks (at) fastmail (dot) net with any questions

If does have the Fremont Solist low G string with Worh browns for the rest. The Romero US2 set would be a good replacement set.

I played my Blackbird Clara with a low G, until I got a Farallon.
The Clara sounded great as a low g uke.

I'm really surprised no one has suggested Romero Creations yet. I'd say those are the ultimate solid wood travel ukes, especially for low G. The total length of the XS Soprano is smaller than sopranos normally, and the STC Concert is the total length of a soprano. Both come with low G as stock, as do all the Romero ukes. Fretboard width is very standard though with a typical 35mm nut, and they aren't the cheapest either. Would be good to know your budget.

My Romero Creations STC is my favorite smaller-sized low-G ukulele. The ukulele has a concert-scale neck, but it fits in most soprano-sized gig bags. It comes standard with low-G and it is designed for low-G with a 3-inch thick body that gives it a deep rich tone for such a small and portable ukulele. It works fine for fingerstyle for me, though it does not have a radius or "wider" fretboard. If you want a durable humidity-resistant instrument for travel, they do have an all laminate version that sounds great and only costs around US$140. They also make solid wood versions for much higher prices.

How about the Romero Creations S-K or S-M? It's soprano scale, with an oversized body that sounds like a concert because of the larger body volume. I am totally intrigued by this concept, and I just ordered one. They come strung low g.

Islanders are wider at the nut, 1 1/2". My concert AC-4 sounds pretty good with low G. Laminate, not too expensive in case it gets damaged, sounds and plays good. It's not for sale, though. As Jim said, the Fremont Soloist low G fits perfectly on a high G nut. For that matter, I've never had much of a problem using fluorocarbon low G sets either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom