Most Common Newb Mistakes

Crixa

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a self taught newer player. Since COVID restrictions prevented me from learning in person or going to a class and money being tight has prevented me from buying lessons online, I have depended on (and been grateful for) those on YouTube who post lessons for free.

But, I feel like maybe I missed some of the basics because I went straight to learning chords and maybe skipped out on some very important techniques or learner's tools that anyone who knows what they were doing would teach first.

What are some of these basics that I should seek or look into to read about or watch videos on? What are some common mistakes newbs make? What was something you learned in the beginning that you found absolutely invaluable as you progressed?

Thanks for all your knowledge and help!

Last edited:
Get a proper setup for your ukulele(s). So the strings are a good height for you. The intonation is good. The frets are level and the ends aren't sharp.
You don't want to have to press hard to play a clean note. Barre chords are much easier to make. Your uke will usually sound better as well.

I would say the most basic problem is rhythm. We spend hours learning chords and playing scales. We get to the point where we can reel those things off non-stop. But that's wankery. It isn't until you can deploy those things within, and in support of, the beats of a metronome that it becomes music.

Get a proper setup for your ukulele(s). So the strings are a good height for you. The intonation is good. The frets are level and the ends aren't sharp.
You don't want to have to press hard to play a clean note. Barre chords are much easier to make. Your uke will usually sound better as well.

How does one get a proper set up? I have very little idea what any of what you said means. lol

I would say the most basic problem is rhythm. We spend hours learning chords and playing scales. We get to the point where we can reel those things off non-stop. But that's wankery. It isn't until you can deploy those things within, and in support of, the beats of a metronome that it becomes music.

How would you suggest one begin to learn and practice rhythm? I know very little about music but I am willing to start learning low level stuff if it means becoming a better player.

I would agree with the above comments. You will need to seek out resources and learn about things like setups and other basic info. Learn as much as you can. One of the things I found helpful many years ago when I took guitar lessons was to learn to read music on the guitar. I had already been a strummer for 20-plus years, had been able to read music on a clarinet when I was a kid, but did not know the notes on a guitar. Learning where a note would be on the fretboard, learning half steps and whole steps, and scales, did really fill in a lack in my knowledge. This is a good skill to have, though one can be a decent player and not be able to read music at all. The Hal Leonard books are good for learning the notes on the uke.

How does one get a proper set up? I have very little idea what any of what you said means. lol

A great resource for new players is www.gotaukulele.com by Barry Maz. He offers tips, information, a little instruction and ukulele reviews aimed specifically towards new ukulele players. Things like how to change strings. Having a setup done. All sorts of info I wish I had known when I first started playing uke. He's located in the UK, but the information is universal.

A setup is having the strings on your uke lowered to make it easier to play. If it isn't done when you buy your uke, you can have it done by a luthier or guitar repair person. I hve arthritis in my hands, and having the "action" of the strings lowered (just means changing the way the uke plays) helps me to make chords and notes easier. Especially on the first two frets. Makes barre chords much easier as well. I sometimes sacrifice a little volume for ease of play, but it's worth it.

Most ukuleles are shipped with strings that are too high for easy playing. So the height of the strings at the nut and the saddle should be lowered to improve the action and the sound. It's not critical. You can play it without getting one done. My first uke was a Fender Nohea tenor. I bought it on Amazon. It practically took a pair of ViceGrip pliers to make a first or second fret barre chord. After about 6 months, I had a setup done at a local music store and it became much easier to play, and the sound was better as well.

The easiest way to improve rhythm is to play with a metronome. Slowly at first and then speed up as you improve. You can and should tap your foot steadily with the tempo of the song. 4/4, 3/4 times are the most common. Examples: One, two, three, four. or One, and, two, and, three, and, four, and. The tap of the foot is the number, the raised foot is the "and" count.

A great resource for new players is www.gotaukulele.com by Barry Maz. He offers tips, information, a little instruction and ukulele reviews aimed specifically towards new ukulele players. Things like how to change strings. Having a setup done. All sorts of info I wish I had known when I first started playing uke. He's located in the UK, but the information is universal.

A setup is having the strings on your uke lowered to make it easier to play. If it isn't done when you buy your uke, you can have it done by a luthier or guitar repair person. I hve arthritis in my hands, and having the "action" of the strings lowered (just means changing the way the uke plays) helps me to make chords and notes easier. Especially on the first two frets. Makes barre chords much easier as well. I sometimes sacrifice a little volume for ease of play, but it's worth it.

Most ukuleles are shipped with strings that are too high for easy playing. So the height of the strings at the nut and the saddle should be lowered to improve the action and the sound. It's not critical. You can play it without getting one done. My first uke was a Fender Nohea tenor. I bought it on Amazon. It practically took a pair of ViceGrip pliers to make a first or second fret barre chord. After about 6 months, I had a setup done at a local music store and it became much easier to play, and the sound was better as well.

The easiest way to improve rhythm is to play with a metronome. Slowly at first and then speed up as you improve. You can and should tap your foot steadily with the tempo of the song. 4/4, 3/4 times are the most common. Examples: One, two, three, four. or One, and, two, and, three, and, four, and. The tap of the foot is the number, the raised foot is the "and" count.

This is great info! Thank you so much!

Before going for a setup, pick up a string height gauge, like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/AZMUSIC-Stri...ele+string+height+gauge&qid=1615849036&sr=8-8

Now you can measure the "action" (height of string above fret) to see if it is high or not. If you have an uke under $100, it will not be worth taking to a luthier as that money can go toward a better uke from a seller that includes setups (like Mim's Ukes). On a cheap one, you can try it yourself.

I use YouTube as my main resource. You can also learn rhythm by playing along with the video, which I do some because a metronome is no fun. Explore to see if you might like fingerstyle playing or chord/melody. You can transition to either of these on YouTube. Almost everyone starts with chords and then wonders what might be next as you are. It did not hold you back at all and likely helped because you met early success and learned that you like it.

How would you suggest one begin to learn and practice rhythm? I know very little about music but I am willing to start learning low level stuff if it means becoming a better player.

There are many ways and I suppose it is ultimately a personality issue. I actually like my metronome. I kind of think of it as Denzil Best accompanying me as Thelonious Monk. Whoa! That was probably one of the more arrogant presumptions I've ever uttered, but you get the point. The metronome lays down the beat and I put my stuff in-between the chimes.

I'm not a music teacher and I don't have a curriculum to offer. However I can remember that 8th notes seemed really important to learn. Once I started parsing measures that way, it really seemed to fit most of my needs. Since we're still in isolation I would suggest searching youtube for counting rhythm or metronome exercises.

Before going for a setup, pick up a string height gauge, like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/AZMUSIC-Stri...ele+string+height+gauge&qid=1615849036&sr=8-8

Now you can measure the "action" (height of string above fret) to see if it is high or not. If you have an uke under $100, it will not be worth taking to a luthier as that money can go toward a better uke from a seller that includes setups (like Mim's Ukes). On a cheap one, you can try it yourself.

I use YouTube as my main resource. You can also learn rhythm by playing along with the video, which I do some because a metronome is no fun. Explore to see if you might like fingerstyle playing or chord/melody. You can transition to either of these on YouTube. Almost everyone starts with chords and then wonders what might be next as you are. It did not hold you back at all and likely helped because you met early success and learned that you like it.

I bought an Enya mango cause I fell hard in love with ukes and decided I needed a nice one. Got my eye on a Koaloha as well (cause I can't seem to stop uke shopping). There is a ukulele store around here so I will probably ask about set up there and get this height gauge as well! Thanks so much for your advice!

You are lucky indeed to have a uke shop close by! The Hawaiian KoAlohas are fabulous. The imported Opios are very nice, the Rebels even nicer and very similar to the Hawaiian KoAloha. But less expensive.

I'm a beginner who's been playing for 10 years... what Bill said!

Keep playing. Keep learning. Have fun with it. Go where it takes you.

As others have said, there are plenty of resources out there. But, none are gospel and you have to learn how to play the uke for you.

For example - look up how to hold your uke, and then adapt that to your body type. I'm built like a fireplug, so I like to hold my uke in my lap more at the 11 o'clock position. Others are more comfortable playing with the neck at the 9 o'clock position. You want your thumb under the neck, not wrapped around it, for instance, however, having it there can help some with fretting the odder spaced chords. But, it doesn't help me because I have small hands.

I think that biggest beginner mistake is spending too much time alone with your uke and depending on videos. Uke playing is a great social event and learning is accelerated in a group where you share tips and with an enthusiastic leader. It is likely that if you have a uke store there will also be a local uke group, so ask at the store or use google to find some like minded people in town. Sure it is tough in these times of covid but if weather permits then outdoor playing as a small group will soon be possible again.

1. Get a tuner. When in doubt, check your tuning.
2. Metronome app. You'll HATE your metronome app. I've been playing music for over fifty years (keys mostly). I still use a metronome. I still hate it.
3. Learn to play Am7 family bar chords. 1111, 2222, 3333, etc. Probably take you an hour or so to figure out what index finger position works for you, but stick with it, 'cuz once you can do that you'll never think any chord short of an FM7 is hard ever again.
4. Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp is your New Best Friend.

There are many ways and I suppose it is ultimately a personality issue. I actually like my metronome. I kind of think of it as Denzil Best accompanying me as Thelonious Monk. Whoa! That was probably one of the more arrogant presumptions I've ever uttered, but you get the point. The metronome lays down the beat and I put my stuff in-between the chimes.

I'm not a music teacher and I don't have a curriculum to offer. However I can remember that 8th notes seemed really important to learn. Once I started parsing measures that way, it really seemed to fit most of my needs. Since we're still in isolation I would suggest searching youtube for counting rhythm or metronome exercises.

Specifically if you look on YouTube for the Hawkulele channel (actually Stephen Hawksworth from York, UK) there are half a dozen videos in the "Strum to the Beat" series which I found are a very nice way to practice your timing (pulse/beat) and rhythm (accenting)....comment meant for the OP of course.

I would agree with the above comments. You will need to seek out resources and learn about things like setups and other basic info. Learn as much as you can. One of the things I found helpful many years ago when I took guitar lessons was to learn to read music on the guitar. I had already been a strummer for 20-plus years, had been able to read music on a clarinet when I was a kid, but did not know the notes on a guitar. Learning where a note would be on the fretboard, learning half steps and whole steps, and scales, did really fill in a lack in my knowledge. This is a good skill to have, though one can be a decent player and not be able to read music at all. The Hal Leonard books are good for learning the notes on the uke.

Just the same as my thoughts. It is really is that important.

Top Bottom