Suggestions for a good hard case for a Kanile'a K1 Tenor

ajbelville

Reaction score
Thanks folks, though I got a hybrid hardshell/with zipper case with my K1, I want a real hard case for better protection and seal for better hydration.

Al

I had an Oahu Fiberglass case for my Kanile’a Tenor (Aldrine model with longer headstock)- worked great! Ordered from The Ukulele Site- looks like the ones they carry now are leather covered fiberglass. Another option would be Crossrock Fiberglass cases, but I’ve never had one.

I had an Oahu Fiberglass case for my Kanile’a Tenor (Aldrine model with longer headstock)- worked great! Ordered from The Ukulele Site- looks like the ones they carry now are leather covered fiberglass. Another option would be Crossrock Fiberglass cases, but I’ve never had one.

I have my K1 Tenors in Crossrock Fiberglass cases. They fit perfectly. (I have a red and a yellow.) Tight fit. Small center compartment.

If you don't want to pay that much for a case, the Crossrock or Kala ABS cases are very nice and are almost as strong as the fiberglass. The cases have a rough "diamond" texture to the outer surfaces. Not as tight as the fiberglass. Small center compartments.

The Kala Faux alligator and tweed covered wooden cases are also very nice. As are the Black Oahu, Guardian & Carrion cases. Some are roomier than others.

For air travel I'd go fiberglass. All work well for storage and going to gigs. All of the fiberglass & ABS ones have D-rings for straps.
I prefer cases with at least 3 latches. 4 or 5 are better.

If you ship a uke in a case, make sure the case key has a ring or is an envelope. I received a uke where the flat key escaped the compartment and nicked up the ukulele. The key had a rough edge and scraped off finish on the neck and bottom of the uke!

The repair tech said it is rare, but he's seen quite a few guitars and other instruments damaged by errant case keys.

I keep mine in a TGI hard case. Very good, very snug.

Oahu cases from theukulelesite dot com, nice cases, variety of color choices the Crossrock leather covered looks really nice if you want to spend $200. I'm leaning toward the tweed one for my Martin IZ. It came with a nice vinyl covered hard foam type case, it's really nice, but kind of bulky and tight, leaves no room for a strap. HMS lists dimensions, so you can check for a good fit.

I had a Guardian hard shell tenor case that fit like an absolute glove. It was perfect!

Be careful of the Crossrock cases. Man they have the cheapest hardware I've ever seen. horrible. On the other hand, the O'ahu Company hardshell cases from theukulelesite.com are really well made. As are the top-end Ohana hardshell cases.

I have bought a few cases from Glarry Music, and have been very satisfied. Good quality, and inexpensive (under fifty bucks). There are a few color choices as well I wish they offered baritone cases! Here's their website:

Glarrymusic.com

Good luck!

Jerry

Top Bottom